Should NBA either drop, or change the age limit?

Abro

Didn't know where exactly to put this..

This is for a research essay that I'm doing at school, just wanted to hear everyones opinion in the matter I think you guys are pretty knowledgeable, voice your opinions here please! :)

There should be no age limit rule. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the way it was going before a few years ago...

Look at the greats that came out High School...

Garnett, Kobe, LeBron...just off the top of my head.

And, seriously, it's lame for CBB to have the one and done's. You get used to watching a guy like Rose, or Wall, etc. for a year, then boom, he's gone...It really sucks IMO.

too bad you lost it. Haha. it would have been useful for sure. :) but yeah I have been looking at the link Thanks for the input. If you still want, you can keep posting in here too. Haha.

I'm for 2 years of college ball. There's obviously special cases like LBJ and Dwight but even then. Also, most of those guys would likely get at least an associate's degree from wherever they went to school which would help for life after basketball since not everyone gets 100 Mil contracts.

They need to dump this age limit.

They're adults (legally) and are responsible for their actions. If they want to risk going undrafted, busting, and being a 34 year old playing in South Korea chasing a final paycheck...that's on them.

Fact is there are A LOT of HS players that succeed. And by succeed I mean get paid. Those that go undrafted or are 2nd round burn outs, too bad. You can't punish guys like Dwight Howard and LeBron James because Korleone Young and Taj McDavid were too dumb or got bad advice.

The alternatives for players aren't really fair for players that are ready to make the jump. Either A) Go to college, be an indentured servant and risk injury; B) Go to a minor league and get paid at most 14K while playing against inferior talent and risk injury; C) Go overseas where you'll likely sit on the bench since they have a hierarchical system where vets play and young guys dont; or D) Sit out a year and get rusty.

You can always go back to college, but you may only get one shot at the NBA.

• Like 1

Hey does anyone happen to know how I can find the average PER for NBA players that have come out of college? I can't seem to find a website for that anywhere.. Perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong places. I don't know. :wacko:

They need to dump this age limit.

They're adults (legally) and are responsible for their actions. If they want to risk going undrafted, busting, and being a 34 year old playing in South Korea chasing a final paycheck...that's on them.

Fact is there are A LOT of HS players that succeed. And by succeed I mean get paid. Those that go undrafted or are 2nd round burn outs, too bad. You can't punish guys like Dwight Howard and LeBron James because Korleone Young and Taj McDavid were too dumb or got bad advice.

The alternatives for players aren't really fair for players that are ready to make the jump. Either A) Go to college, be an indentured servant and risk injury; B) Go to a minor league and get paid at most 14K while playing against inferior talent and risk injury; C) Go overseas where you'll likely sit on the bench since they have a hierarchical system where vets play and young guys dont; or D) Sit out a year and get rusty.

You can always go back to college, but you may only get one shot at the NBA.

Indentured servant? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd love to go to any college of my choice free of charge.

Indentured servant? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd love to go to any college of my choice free of charge.

What do you call not getting paid for performing a job someone else is willing to pay you and the only reason you can't get paid is age despite being an adult?

A free education is great, if you want it. But for these guys who are one and done they might as well get paid in skittles. it's meaningless. They're just there because they feel forced to be there since the other options probably feel worse.

Hey does anyone happen to know how I can find the average PER for NBA players that have come out of college? I can't seem to find a website for that anywhere.. Perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong places. I don't know. :wacko:

You may have to just take the average PER of an NBA player and compare that to the average PER of high school players. That should be fine.

Drop it. The main reason, IMO, it was implemented was to change the 'thug' image of the NBA, much like the dress code, respect for the game rule, etc... With the majority of the league being black, having immature 18 year olds looking past education and personal growth for the big bucks just adds to the unfair stereotype the league has. But, bottom line is that these guys are adults, and should be able to make the HS to NBA jump if they want to.