Who made out best b4 deadline?

Guest N4S

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Phils, because Boston has Varitek, and for 1B and 3B, they have Youk and Lowell, plus Kotchman... there wasn't much of a need. I guess Tek won't start now, or what? He's a better catcher, but Victor is a 10x better hitter at this point.

Lee will be a good pitcher in the 2 or 3 spot of their rotation.

I think the Phillies did better in adding something they needed. However I feel Boston got a better trade I feel Philly gave up a bit more for Lee than Boston gave up for Vic. Both did great though.

I would go with the Phillies, but both were able to get a player they had coveted without giving up any blue chip prospects. Hard to pick since they both "won". Rockies also did very well adding Rafael Betancourt and Joe Beimel to their bullpen. Those three teams and the Detroit Tigers are the ones who first come to mind as the big deadline "winners".

Well now that you added Detroit I think they did the best. Washburn is probably a better pitcher than Lee this year and Detroit gave up a minimal amount.

I would take Lee any day of the week, even this year. You have to take into consideration that Washburn was pitching at Safeco Field which is beyond pitcher friendly, and his home ERA was around 2. Shouldn't be much of a drop off though since Comerica is huge too.

Also remember that Washburn is a free agent after this season, and the Phillies will have Lee for this year and next.

Both teams were clearly big winners though so this is kind of nitpicking lol.

I would take Lee any day of the week, even this year. You have to take into consideration that Washburn was pitching at Safeco Field which is beyond pitcher friendly, and his home ERA was around 2. Shouldn't be much of a drop off though since Comerica is huge too.

Also remember that Washburn is a free agent after this season, and the Phillies will have Lee for this year and next.

Both teams were clearly big winners though so this is kind of nitpicking lol.

True but the Jake isn't a hitters park either. I think the Tigers were only after a rental as well I don't think I'd want to be tied down into a contract with Washburn. If he pitches well they can resign him. In the end you are right all of the teams are winners. I personally felt for his price Washburn was the most valuable player on the market this off season.

Also, lets not underestimate the importance of Ben Francisco coming along with Lee. He fills a big need as well, and has had some very good at bats so far. Good timing as well since Victorino has been hurt so Francisco has needed to start two consecutive games.

Obviously Cliff Lee was the biggest name traded, but I'm not sure if he will have the biggest impact.

He is a very good pitcher and bolsters that rotation, but I'm going to say that the Boston Red Sox were the biggest winners of the trade deadline.

They did what they needed to do, and that was fill a weakness, which has been hitting recently, especially Jason Varitek, who plays the same position as Victor Martinez.

Taking Jason Varitek out of the line-up, which is the most likely scenerio for the majority of the season, and placing Victor MArtinez into the line-up is going to be a BIGGGGGGGGG offensive upgrade.

There is no way that Victor Martinez will be playing first-base, unless it is a day that the Boston Red Sox give Mike Lowell off, and then Kevin Youkilis would move over to third-base.

Victor Martinez's versatility is a big part of this trade, and I think it will really help out.

I was hoping to get Adrian Gonzolez, but I'm not sure that would do too much considering it would just take wither Mike Lowell or Kevin Youkilis out of the line-up, which doesn't do much good when you can take Jason Varitek out of the line-up sometimes, and get a MAJOR offensive upgrade.

Also, the Boston Red Sox have J.D. Drew, David Ortiz, Mike Lowell, John Smoltz, Brady Penny, and Jason Varitek all ending their contracts either this season or next season, and that gives them some money to sign Adrian Gonzolez if they want.

Josh Beckett would be re-signed as well.

Also, Justin Masterson will probably be used a starting pitcher, and a lot of people think Nick Hagadone will be really good, but the Boston Red Sox still kept all of their "Top" prospects.

I'm gonna have to go Philly. Not only did they get Lee, but they also kept their best prospects by not trading for Halladay which I think was in the best interest of the club.

Yea im with you on that. They must have a lot faith in there prospects for the next few years and they just ripped off the Indians for Lee in a great deal.

Buck Showalter said the best trade deadline was for the Texas Rangers because they didnt make a move and played it smart wow. Dude is so corrupt and just giving love to his old organization and wants a job with them so bad again. All politics.

Edited by NeTs15VC

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I know they did, and he's a contact pitcher too from what I've heard. But he's still a Cy Young winner, and would help any rotation out. His numbers will change, maybe a bit inflated era, but he has the potential to be our ace, along with Buehrle the workhorse. You agree?

No matter the case, should have been on the poll option. I mean if Washburn is up there...

Yeah I know they did, and he's a contact pitcher too from what I've heard. But he's still a Cy Young winner, and would help any rotation out. His numbers will change, maybe a bit inflated era, but he has the potential to be our ace, along with Buehrle the workhorse. You agree?

No matter the case, should have been on the poll option. I mean if Washburn is up there...

Jake Peavy may help the Chicago White Sox out, but we will have to wait and see.

Peavy dont play till sept and you gave up your top prospect (after beckham) for him and took on his whole huge contract despite him being injured. That was a bad deal for the white sox who might not even make the playoffs. The Tigers gave up next to nothing for a crafty vet who is having a stellar season.

Peavy dont play till sept and you gave up your top prospect (after beckham) for him and took on his whole huge contract despite him being injured. That was a bad deal for the white sox who might not even make the playoffs. The Tigers gave up next to nothing for a crafty vet who is having a stellar season.

Are you referring to Poreda or Richard? Richard wasn't really a prospect. Poreda was, but I don't think he was our top prospect behind Beckham. I'd consider Tyler Flowers, Jordan Danks, and Dayan Viciedo all ahead of Poreda. And who is to say we won't make the playoffs? That has yet to be seen.

Are you referring to Poreda or Richard? Richard wasn't really a prospect. Poreda was, but I don't think he was our top prospect behind Beckham. I'd consider Tyler Flowers, Jordan Danks, and Dayan Viciedo all ahead of Poreda. And who is to say we won't make the playoffs? That has yet to be seen.

Hence the might. Poreda was playing the best out of anyone in your minor league system this year. We'll see in this economy the White Sox sure did commit alot of money to 2 players this year I guess they won't be players in FA market for a while.