Derrick Williams Thinks He Can Replace LeBron In Cleveland

NJNJ

http://basketball.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/photos/2006/Williams_Derrick_ncaa_101213.jpg

Arizona Wildcat forward Derrick Williams isn't lacking confidence. As a matter of fact, it appears he has an overabundance of it.

In a statement after finding out Tuesday night that the Cleveland Cavaliers would have the first pick in the NBA Draft, Williams shared why he'd be the best option with the first pick.

"I think I'm the No. 1 pick because I have more star quality I would think," the small forward said. "I'm just a bigger person. Just trying to fill in for a big star like LeBron like they're missing. That missing piece. I think that's me."

http://www.arizonasports.com/?nid=82&sid=1416330

• Owner

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking. Let's see what happens though, I doubt he'll go number one.

I wouldn't be too surprised, because he could show out before the draft. Baron Davis is going to be in Cleveland for another two seasons, I believe...and while that's no green light to avoid a PG in the draft, I don't think Dan Gilbert has a reason to believe that Kyrie Irving can be a better player than Derrick Williams.

The truth is, it takes a lot of time for PG's to adjust to the game, for the most part. Irving isn't like Wall...he's a bit less talented, less defined in certain areas of the game, and he's also not as proven. We all knew what we were getting out of Derrick Rose, who was more NBA-ready than Irving as well.

Irving could run a team better, but there isn't much of a team to run. Is it possible that Derrick Williams would be more effective in that larger role? I'd say there's a chance.