Lakers Will Retire Shaq's Jersey

This is great news. There were some people who doubted that they'd retire it because of how he left and went to another team...or three. When he went to Boston I had this thought, but I knew he'd be raised to the roof as a Laker. Great news to hear.

It belongs in Orlando :)

Orlando can retire it too. Any team can retire any player's number. It's not like the Hall of Fame where you go in under one team. Heck, the Miami Heat retired Jordan's number (?!?!?!) simply because Riley was so obsessed with how Jordan couldn't be psychologically broken.

It would be like the Jazz retiring Kobe's number when he retires :lol:

Orlando can retire it too. Any team can retire any player's number. It's not like the Hall of Fame where you go in under one team.

Yes exactly. Many players' jersey have been retired by several teams in the past. Like for example Chamberlain (Lakers, Sixers, Warriors), Jabbar (Lakers, Bucks), Barkley (Suns, Sixers), Erving (Nets, Sixers), etc...

Heck, the Miami Heat retired Jordan's number (?!?!?!) simply because Riley was so obsessed with how Jordan couldn't be psychologically broken.

It would be like the Jazz retiring Kobe's number when he retires :lol:

Yeah that was really weird that they did that haha... Same thing happened for Maravich. His number has been retired by the Hornets, yet he's never played there (couldn't have anyhow)... Although it makes more sense since Pistol played in New Orleans at the time he was a Jazz.

Lakers retiring the jersey good move after all he did get you guys 3 championship banners. Orlando doing it idk he was a great player down there but did he do enough to get his jersey retired? imo no.

Well I personally believe that his jersey should definitely be retired in Orlando as well. Honestly he's the Magic first superstar, and clearly their best player ever. He allowed them to make the playoffs for the first time, and to get to the Finals for the first time as well.

Besides the 95 and 96 Magic teams are for me the best Magic teams ever. Honestly this team had a flawless starting lineup (well except maybe 3D who was just a scorer but he was a great scorer and shooter nonetheless), and a very good bench with Shaw, Royal or Bowie, The Energizer.. Very exciting team to watch. One of the best teams to never win a ring for sure.

In fact they were even the most talented team in the league in 95 in my opinion. But they were just not experienced enough... As a matter of fact until this season they didn't even have won one playoffs game... Their only experienced player was Horace Grant this year. But the way they were literally destroying the Rockets in the first game of the Finals was very impressive. They were so talented that I even said to myself that I was sure that they would blow them out... Well I was dead wrong as the exact opposite happened lol.

The Rockets were just too experienced for them, the way they won this first game was very, VERY impressive... One of the very best games I ever seen to be honest. I don't know how many times I watched it..

But anyway if we talk about pure talent the Magic were the best team of the season that year. Best on paper. It's just, as I said many times, the best team on paper is not necessarily the better team...

So anyway for all these reasons I definitely think that Shaq has done enough for this franchise to have his jersey retired in Orlando as well.

In fact I even think that the Heat should retire his jersey as well. Honestly Shaq started to slow down in his Heat days but during his first two seasons there he was still clearly the best center in the world, and a top 10 player in that league. Besides his presence alone was enough to make a difference. He literally changed that team, despite the fact the Heat had to trade most of their best players to get him... And allowed the Heat to win their only ring. Would the Heat have won a ring without Shaq ? Certainly not. So the Heat should definitely retire his jersey as well.

Well anyhow I'm glad that the Lakers retired his jersey. It's definitely in LA that Shaq was at his best, he was just literally unstoppable there. And had the three most dominant performances in the history of the NBA Finals there. Fantastic player. Definitely among the 10 best players ever. And a case could even be made for him as the best center ever.

Funny that, when Shaq arrived in LA Magic offered him to wear his number 32 (it is definitely possible for a player to wear a retired number if the player who wore that number is okay with it, Grant Hill is wearing the 33 in Phoenix for example yet it is a retired number and he had to ask Alvan Adams permission to wear it), yet Shaq refused at the time. If he didn't there would be two number 32 retired in LA now, that would be weird haha.