Female NBA Head Coach?

Poe

Three questions:

1: Will there ever be a female head coach?

2a: If so, how soon? Between 1-5 years? Or maybe 10-20? Unpredictable?

2b: If not, is it because it is viewed as too much of a risk due to male basketball player egos, or due to negative media attention? OR is it because you believe a great basketball mind cannot exist in a woman? A different reason perhaps?

3: Who is currently the best suited woman to coach the NBA? Pat Summitt? Nancy Lieberman? Someone else?

It's possible I guess, but they'd have to bring amazing innovative ideas to the table (like.....?), and have other people on staff that the players respect and their leader would have to buy into what the coach is selling. I just feel like a woman would have difficulty controlling a locker room full of grown men, especially with how bloated basketball player's egos are. I just don't picture it happening, at least not for a very long, long time.

Are you a feminist?

Stay on topic please mr. staff member.

Edit: BUT if you must know my opinion on feminism (and you got me thinking about it so I might as well write my thoughts down), I do not believe woman should be treated equally by default - because people are not equal.

The special thing about being a human being is that we are all different. A fat, deformed person should not be given an equal opportunity to become a model. A grown woman should not be in a boxing match with a grown man, unless she is somehow SO physically gifted that she can keep up with the superior strength of professional male boxers, which is statistically unlikely for any woman to achieve even among billions of people worldwide.

However, no person should be treated as lesser than by default. There are many countries where women are hardly treated as human beings, perhaps even in most countries, and are generally given zero opportunity to achieve. I do not believe in this mentality.

I also do not believe it should be more difficult for a woman to achieve in something that women can measurably do AS WELL as (or perhaps even better than) men. For now, this is a reality in America. Though it has evolved to a better place than in the past.

Edited by Poe

Stay on topic please mr. staff member.

Edit: BUT if you must know my opinion on feminism (and you got me thinking about it so I might as well write my thoughts down), I do not believe woman should be treated equally by default - because people are not equal.

The special thing about being a human being is that we are all different. A fat, deformed person should not be given an equal opportunity to become a model. A grown woman should not be in a boxing match with a grown man, unless she is somehow SO physically gifted that she can keep up with the superior strength of professional male boxers, which is statistically unlikely for any woman to achieve even among billions of people worldwide.

However, no person should be treated as lesser than by default. There are many countries where women are hardly treated as human beings, perhaps even in most countries, and are generally given zero opportunity to achieve. I do not believe in this mentality.

I also do not believe it should be more difficult for a woman to achieve in something that women can measurably do AS WELL as (or perhaps even better than) men. For now, this is a reality in America. Though it has evolved to a better place than in the past.

I was genuinely curious, so I'm glad that you decided to answer after your initial bitchy retort.

The special thing about being a human being is that we are all different. A fat, deformed person should not be given an equal opportunity to become a model.

I think you're mis-interpretating what equal opportunity is. Of course a fat, deformed person should be able to have the same opportunity to be a model as a Tyra Banks...however, just because she has an equal opportunity doesn't mean that company should hire her. There is a difference. For example, a nice restaurant should take applications from everyone, but that doesn't mean they have to hire a ghetto black thug over a preppy white kid.

EDIT: To answer your question, no, I don't think it'll happen. I don't think she would be able to relate to the players that well, wouldn't command the utmost respect and communication would be difficult.

Edited by Nitro

^ ...and the domino effect.

The personal comments are a constant thing with you IllWill. I would say I'm flattered with the amount of attention you give me, but I discuss to learn, and your comment stemmed towards a separate direction of the subject matter.

If you were genuinely interested in my opinion on the subject of feminism you would have asked me in a PM. You were attempting to provoke something, and succeeded in doing so. You also succeeded in gaining a rep point, which you often do in these type of posts.

But you succeeded most in disrupting the subject matter I asked of you in the thread title. 12 posts. About 7 are off-topic including this one.

And you could of just as easily taken this conversation to a PM, instead of continuing it in here.

Also, don't make snarky comments like that about Real Deal. Not going to take that crap from you.

Also, don't make snarky comments like that about Real Deal. Not gonna take that.

I PMed RD already. And I also PMed him months ago regarding how this guy follows me around and makes personal comments about me. I don't think he does it just to me, either.

So what does RD do? Turn him into a staff member?

So I would presume that he changed. But no, he continues to do the same thing. Follows me in half the threads I create or post in, and makes a personal comment about me.

And que in the cry face by him because I might have hinted some annoyance in this post.

I PMed RD already.

Good, the matter is settled then. Brandon doesn't need to consult you on how he chooses his staff members, so I suggest you drop it. Oh, and if you feel that IllWill is stalking you, then you have the wonderful option to use the ignore feature. It'll most certainly solve your problem. But doing so begs the question...I thought that words can't cause physical harm? That a little nastiness outta toughen the skin up a bit? Eh, what do I know. Anyways, I suggest you use the ignore feature or just use your will power to ignore him, either way works.

I PMed RD already. And I also PMed him months ago regarding how this guy follows me around and makes personal comments about me. I don't think he does it just to me, either.

So what does RD do? Turn him into a staff member?

So I would presume that he changed. But no, he continues to do the same thing. Follows me in half the threads I create or post in, and makes a personal comment about me.

And que in the cry face by him because I might have hinted some annoyance in this post.

[expletive]ing LOL

Worth noting: of the last 20 threads you've posted in, which contain several posts a piece.. I've responded to 3 (farrrrr below 50%, so I'm either off my game or the least interested stalker in America). Two threads were Poe created, and pertained to a female and the game of basketball.

ttyl, thread.

1: Will there ever be a female head coach?

2a: If so, how soon? Between 1-5 years? Or maybe 10-20? Unpredictable?

2b: If not, is it because it is viewed as too much of a risk due to male basketball player egos, or due to negative media attention? OR is it because you believe a great basketball mind cannot exist in a woman? A different reason perhaps?

3: Who is currently the best suited woman to coach the NBA? Pat Summitt? Nancy Lieberman? Someone else?

1.) It's highly improbable but who knows. Possibly not though.

2.) If there is, I think it will be like 15+ years after the lockout.

3.) the best suited woman? No clue. Don't follow the WNBA.

I think you're mis-interpretating what equal opportunity is. Of course a fat, deformed person should be able to have the same opportunity to be a model as a Tyra Banks...however, just because she has an equal opportunity doesn't mean that company should hire her. There is a difference. For example, a nice restaurant should take applications from everyone, but that doesn't mean they have to hire a ghetto black thug over a preppy white kid.

EDIT: To answer your question, no, I don't think it'll happen. I don't think she would be able to relate to the players that well, wouldn't command the utmost respect and communication would be difficult.

This is why I plan on opening up a progressive restaurant staffed by preppy black thugs.

As for the original post, as time goes on and the world becomes less and less traditional, I'm sure a female head coach will someday be hired, but it wouldn't be for at least a decade. Said female head coach would have to have worked in the NBA on an assistant coaching staff to have proven her worth. The WNBA and women's college basketball aren't good enough (though the female D-league coach would have some credibility).

I think the ego thing may be slightly overblown. No good coach worth his shit will embarrass his players in public (except maybe Popovich). While all good coaches are stern, you don't see coaches destroying guys in huddles. Doing so immediately turns the player off to the coach because of the humiliation. It doesn't matter if it's a man or woman, nobody likes to be singled out and destroyed.

The problem would be in practice. Can a woman find a way to influence modern entitled athletes to practice hard, and will they respond to criticism if a female coach tries to correct bad habits. That's where most of the NBA yelling and screaming is done. The best coaches know how to prompt/trick/inspire/threaten players into practicing hard. Can a female inspire the same? I'd say probably, especially as societal attitudes in sports continue to change.

From the teaching, X's and O's, and theory of the game, I'd say absolutely a woman can coach in the NBA. The difficulty is that most male coaches have those traits, plus have the added advantage of having played in male leagues against male players. There's more to relate to.

At some point I was convinced Mike Brown was a female...: cuz he always sucks his superstar's dick hard.

Joke aside, I'd just say, let's see a woman become an NBA assistant coach first before a head coach.

Coach - players relationship starts from respect. Since women generally have a deferring attitude towards men, and it's the perception with anyone (including women themselves) you will have to have a woman who is:

- way more senior in terms of age than the players to have a good start.

- Secondly, she has to have the energy to at least keep up with the players' energy and ego... we're talking about multi-million rich athletes... trust me, when you have hundreds of millions of dollars, you will have huge ego unless you're as humble as Derrick Rose (who thanks his mom in his first MVP award ceremony at age 22?) most superstars want to be treated special. If she's too soft or too hardcore, players will tune her out. The energy is also essential to motivate players. Motivating skill should account for a good 40-50% of coaching, and Xs and Os are the rest. If a person (no matter what gender) is bright at X and Os but can't motivate their players/ bring them to perform/ focus when they need to, it all goes down the drain. She has to be addicted to basketball, has burning passion for the game for this to happen.