#2 for Pau Gasol?

On Friday, I detailed the Timberwolves' draft strategies in the wake of signing Ricky Rubio to a contract. Here's the CliffsNotes version: Publicly, the team is claiming that they're likely to hang on to the pick. Privately, they're hoping that a team comes along and offers them an impact veteran -- someone such as Pau Gasol, Monta Ellis or even JaVale McGee -- for the pick.

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Why would you trade for McGee straight up when you could draft Kanter, Jonas Valanciunas, or trade down for Biyombo?

Because Derrick Williams is a better prospect than McGee is right now. We desperately need a guy like Williams, he's the perfect running mate for Wall and can stretch the floor.

At #6 we hope that Kanter falls to us, or we just take a guy like Valaniunas.

• Owner

Now it's a ripoff. However, during the playoffs you would have traded Gasol for a package the equivalent of Kwame Brown+Smush Parker.........

?

I said it would be us ripping off the Wolves, if we traded Gasol for Love and the #2.

And no, I never said Gasol was that worthless. Kwame and Smush are trash. During the playoffs, Gasol played more like a lightweight version of Andrea Bargnani, but given the fact that he's an actual post player who can rebound the ball, I wouldn't have dealt him for nothing less than another all-star.

Someone asked on TLN if I'd deal Gasol for Monta Ellis. Tough to say...probably a no, only because Monta is a guard, and I'm not 100% sure Drew will be healthy again next season.

Now...Kevin Love and the #2 pick? That's Love and Derrick Williams, or Love and either Kyrie Irving or Brandon Knight, and that's a no-brainer for us.

Because Derrick Williams is a better prospect than McGee is right now. We desperately need a guy like Williams, he's the perfect running mate for Wall and can stretch the floor.

At #6 we hope that Kanter falls to us, or we just take a guy like Valaniunas.

I meant in the Timberwolves' case.

?

I said it would be us ripping off the Wolves, if we traded Gasol for Love and the #2.

And no, I never said Gasol was that worthless. Kwame and Smush are trash. During the playoffs, Gasol played more like a lightweight version of Andrea Bargnani, but given the fact that he's an actual post player who can rebound the ball, I wouldn't have dealt him for nothing less than another all-star.

Someone asked on TLN if I'd deal Gasol for Monta Ellis. Tough to say...probably a no, only because Monta is a guard, and I'm not 100% sure Drew will be healthy again next season.

Now...Kevin Love and the #2 pick? That's Love and Derrick Williams, or Love and either Kyrie Irving or Brandon Knight, and that's a no-brainer for us.

You constantly bashed him during the playoffs, so I don't see what you are saying. You pretty much wanted him gone at any expense.

• Owner

You constantly bashed him during the playoffs, so I don't see what you are saying. You pretty much wanted him gone at any expense.

He was being bashed during the playoffs because he averaged 13/8 on 42% FG. Me bashing him doesn't mean I'd trade him for a scrub...not sure where or why you would get that idea. I'm a basketball junkie that breathes basketball, not a football junkie that will sometimes talk basketball. I'm fully aware that one bad playoff run doesn't turn Pau Gasol into Pavel Podkolzin.

You didn't hear me talking trash on Amare's 15/8 on 38% FG against Boston, and saying the Knicks should deal him for Zaza Pachulia.

He was being bashed during the playoffs because he averaged 13/8 on 42% FG. Me bashing him doesn't mean I'd trade him for a scrub...not sure where or why you would get that idea. I'm a basketball junkie that breathes basketball, not a football junkie that will sometimes talk basketball. I'm fully aware that one bad playoff run doesn't turn Pau Gasol into Pavel Podkolzin.

You didn't hear me talking trash on Amare's 15/8 on 38% FG against Boston, and saying the Knicks should deal him for Zaza Pachulia.

Would you still keep Bynum over him like you stated during that series?

• Owner

Would you still keep Bynum over him like you stated during that series?

Depends on the trade. If you tell me Drew gets us Dwight, somehow, then no.

Odom is a capable starter, though, and Drew + Odom would work in that frontcourt.

Can you give me a guarantee that Drew stays healthy? If I get that, I would trade Gasol over Drew every single opportunity I get, because unlike Gasol, Bynum is a legitimate defensive anchor, and unlike Gasol, Bynum can do a LOT of damage on the low block.

I'm not sure how you could disagree with that assessment (if you do).

Lakers aren't going to take a step backwards, not with this team. There's still a window of opportunity with this current squard to win a ring. Trading Gasol is not part of that equation.

I'm also not sure that getting a 31 year old for the 2nd pick is that wise. Even if Minnesota does swap the pick for Pau, they're still not close to contending. Might as well keep the pick and continue with their internal development. If I do trade the pick it's for someone younger like Ellis or Iggy.