Jackson: Ellis Ranks As NBA's Third Best SG

As reports surfaced early last week that the Golden State Warriors and Sixers have talked about a trade of Monta Ellis for Andre Iguodala, new Warriors coach Mark Jackson said he would like Ellis to remain in Golden State.

"I want Monta Ellis on this basketball team," Jackson told reporters at his introductory news conference. "This guy is a big-time player. And I think he's the third best shooting guard in the league. You have Kobe, obviously, and Dwyane Wade. I will match [Ellis] up against anybody else on a given night and feel extremely comfortable about it."

Jackson did admit that Ellis could improve defensively.

"You can nitpick what he can and can't do, but at the end of the day, a coach will look brilliant if he has a guy who can go make a play," Jackson said. "He's a flat-out scorer. He's a much-improved, underrated passer and facilitator. He's a guy I embrace on this team . . . He's an outstanding player who I look forward to coaching."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20110613_Sixers_aren_t_the_only_team_interested_in_Ellis.html

• Owner

Well, you have Kobe and Wade in the top two spots.

After that, in no particular order...

Monta Ellis

Joe Johnson

Ray Allen

Manu Ginobili

Kevin Martin

Eric Gordon

Jason Terry

Vince Carter

James Harden

Tyreke Evans

Jason Richardson

Jamal Crawford

DeMar DeRozan

Nick Young

Arron Afflalo

Probably leaving out a few...but yeah, it doesn't seem like he's reaching. Monta is there.

Well to me, Manu is the clear cut 3rd best SG in the league after Kobe and Wade. He's more efficient, better shooter, better defender, better passer, better rebounder, I would much rather have the ball in his hands on my team than Ellis.

Then I think it's a toss up between the rest depending on who you ask but personally I have Joe Johnson 4th, Monta 5th and then Gordon. I think a lot of the younger players (relative to how long they've been in the league, I know Monta is still young himself) like EG, Harden, Tyreke etc are all set to take a big step next year and could possible overtake Monta.

• Like 3

Well to me, Manu is the clear cut 3rd best SG in the league after Kobe and Wade. He's more efficient, better shooter, better defender, better passer, better rebounder, I would much rather have the ball in his hands on my team than Ellis.

Then I think it's a toss up between the rest depending on who you ask but personally I have Joe Johnson 4th, Monta 5th and then Gordon. I think a lot of the younger players (relative to how long they've been in the league, I know Monta is still young himself) like EG, Harden, Tyreke etc are all set to take a big step next year and could possible overtake Monta.

This. I agree completely, it goes Wade/Kobe (whatever order you want to put them in), Manu, $JJ and then Ellis.

Asks the pissed-off fan with the VC avatar and Ellis sig. :lol: Had me laughing.

LOL I knew someone would point that out! haha.

At one point Vince was the third best SG in the league after Kobe and Wade. No one really gave him credit.

Now it's the same with Ellis. I think that's what he means?

LOL I knew someone would point that out! haha.

At one point Vince was the third best SG in the league after Kobe and Wade. No one really gave him credit.

Now it's the same with Ellis. I think that's what he means?

No, he was never the 3rd best SG while those two were in the league as well. :lol: .

You can't be serious.....

No, he was never the 3rd best SG while those two were in the league as well. :lol: .

You can't be serious.....

It was Bryant, Wade, then Vince at one point. Right when he first got into New Jersey, he was playing some of the best ball of his career. No one remembers how well he was doing at that time. Very underrated part of his career.