Man Looks to Buy 60% Share of Mets for $1

Jammin

David Einhorn knows just how good of a deal he's getting as a result of the Wilpon family's desperate thirst for cold, hard cash.

Forbes.com reported Wednesday morning that the hedge fund manager's agreement to buy a minority slice (33 percent) of the New York Mets for $200 million is even better than previously thought.

In three years, Einhorn can buy a controlling interest in the team from the Wilpons — a reported 60 percent — for just one measly dollar.

The only way that doesn't happen is if Fred Wilpon returns the $200 million that Einhorn is laying out so the Mets can pay some of their bills. Under that scenario, Einhorn would keep a 16 percent stake in the team as a lender's fee.

Not bad.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/David-Einhorn-could-buy-a-majority-of-the-Mets-f?urn=mlb-wp9587

That's incredible.. Of course he has to cough up a $200M loan for a period of time, but still that's an incredible investment.

Edited by Jammin

lol yea I understand its not just 'here's a dollar thanks for the mets' but if all works out the way the article says, he still only pays $1 for an extra 27% of the team.

Either way he will have a minimum of a 16% share of the team.

lol yea I understand its not just 'here's a dollar thanks for the mets' but if all works out the way the article says, he still only pays $1 for an extra 27% of the team.

Either way he will have a minimum of a 16% share of the team.

Yeah. I'd consider it a great investment regardless of the team.

Looking at how the price of professional teams across all sports continue to go up, it doesn't seem to matter what the team is or if they're actually profitable.