Student Loans

Paul

I filled out fafsa already and got the hope scholarship but it doesnt pay for all the tuition for some strange reason. HOPE is for GA students only. I just am gonna be so [expletive]ed. Anybody out there that has had experiences with loans?

Luckily no and I'd advise you, if possible, not to go that route.

When SWAT Teams Attack Over Your Estranged Wife’s Student Debt

Jim Newell — At 6 a.m. on Tuesday morning, Kenneth Wright of Stockton, California had his house door busted down by a SWAT team, who dragged him out of his house, held him down and handcuffed him, searched the house, and then took Wright and his three kids to a police station. The interesting thing about this: He had done nothing wrong! The SWAT team was just acting on a search warrant from the Department of Education to find Wright's wife, who'd defaulted on her student loans. But they're estranged, and she doesn't live there.

KXTV reports on this especially foul abuse of police power for collection of debts:

The U.S. Department of Education issued the search and called in the S.W.A.T for his wife's defaulted student loans.

"They busted down my door for this," Wright said. "It wasn't even me."

According to the Department of Education's Office of the Inspector General, the case can't be discussed publicly until it is closed, but a spokesperson did confirm that the department did issue the search warrant at Wright's home.

There are probably some college students and post-grads with outstanding debts reading this and getting scared like the dickens. But you have nothing to worry about! The Fed shock troops appear to go after your innocent estranged spouses, only.

http://gawker.com/5809928/when-swat-teams-attack-over-your-estranged-wifes-student-debt

^pretty sure further information that came out showed that she had been doing some illegal activities with that money. they're not going to send the swat team to anyone who defaults on student loans, otherwise you'd hear 5000 of those stories a day

^pretty sure further information that came out showed that she had been doing some illegal activities with that money. they're not going to send the swat team to anyone who defaults on student loans, otherwise you'd hear 5000 of those stories a day

Well that's a relief.

Even so, there are other practical reasons why to avoid student loans. Like if you can't pay it back you're [expletive]ed. You WILL pay it back one way or another. They'll garnish your wages or won't give you your tax refund. Can't file for bankrupcy either.

If you're an incoming freshman and you can't get a grant or scholarship, try going to a community college first. You'll be taking the same classes as you would at a University (well, they count the same anyway) only they're a lot cheaper.

Yeah I umpire high school baseball, travel ball, rec ball etc... I make decent money doing (500 a week) and then I have a Cook job at minimum wage (100 a week). I also have a 300 truck payment and 200 insurance payment a month.

I have about 14k piled up right now.. I've done a Sally Mae in the past and right now just go off the subsidized/unsubsidized loans that my college offers.. Haven't had a problem making minimum payments to this point.

I have about 14k piled up right now.. I've done a Sally Mae in the past and right now just go off the subsidized/unsubsidized loans that my college offers.. Haven't had a problem making minimum payments to this point.

So you have to pay the Sub and Unsub loans while in school?!

So you have to pay the Sub and Unsub loans while in school?!

Nah.. the Sally Mae is what I've payed so far, I took it out for my first school.. left after a year and a half and took a few years off before going back to another school. Got them to stop payments again when I was enrolled again. I guess what I should have said was that I didn't have a problem making the minimum payments while I was out of school.