Getting more optimistic about Vesely

I've been reading a lot about him, and the more I read, the more I'm convinced that this was a solid pick.

Let's face it, the Wizards have a ton of high usage players like Crawford, Young, Blatche, and even Wall, so it's nice to bring in a guy that knows how to stay effective off the ball. He's not your prototypical Euro coming into the league, he's not soft at all, and he's a very intense player. Despite what people say, his jumper is not broken, he has good mechanics on his shot, and to his credit, he didn't have many plays ran for him at Partizan. He was utilized in that offense as a cutter, and was their biggest threat on the fast break. Rarely did you see plays ran for him to get him open shots, so the only way to prove people wrong, he'll just have to practice.

Many people also criticize his lack of effort on rebounds, but again, to his credit, because he's such a freak of an athlete, the coach designed his defensive schemes to allow him to leak out for fastbreaks whenever the opportunity presented itself. So despite what his rebounding numbers this past year indicates, I don't think he'll be as bad when he plays for us.

I think he'll struggle with defense the most in his first year, but I think over time, he'll get adjusted to the NBA playing style. He has the physical tools to be great alongside the perimeter, he'll just have to put on some weight if he plans on being a good post defender.

This will be a big year for Flip and his coaching staff. They need to coach Vesely a lot, he needs to improve his ball handling and shooting, but luckily he's a gym rat and has a high basketball IQ, two things that should accelerate his development as a player.

• Owner

Wall and Vesely on the break is just disgusting. It's obviously not going to be like having LeBron run the break with you, but at least someone will be getting down the court with Wall.

The defense...I don't think he'll be a good post defender, ever, but he can be a pretty good help defender. He just needs to learn a bit more of the game itself, run through some offensive sets and get familiar with how players attack the rim out of the P&R and ISO's, and then the entire team has to communicate with him.

I think he'll be fine. I just hope the team uses him appropriately, or else he has "bust" written all over him.

The defense...I don't think he'll be a good post defender, ever, but he can be a pretty good help defender. He just needs to learn a bit more of the game itself, run through some offensive sets and get familiar with how players attack the rim out of the P&R and ISO's, and then the entire team has to communicate with him.

Agreed, and if he pans out correctly, the thought of having McGee and Vesely on defense is very enticing. Both of them have the potential to be great shot blockers.

I think he'll be fine. I just hope the team uses him appropriately, or else he has "bust" written all over him.

Yeah I'm not too worried about that to be honest. Ernie Grunfeld stated that he's been scouting him for 2 years now, and they absolutely wanted him with this 6th pick, so I'm confident they will utilize him correctly.

I'm actually really excited to see this kid play. It gave me reason to watch the Wizards all over again. I lost interest when they broke up their big three guys in Arenas, Jamison, and Butler. Though with John Wall and Jan Vesely, they'll be fun to watch. Plus you still have Blatche, who is a bit overrated but still very good, then McGee who jumps out of the building every game. The Wiz will be my third team that I'll be paying attention to next season, behind Portland and Minny.