Breaking News: Yao to Retire

• Owner

I'm not really surprised. I never had a feeling he would make it back as a full-time player. The 24-minute max last year (before he injured himself again) basically gave it away for me. He was supposedly going to play cautiously, strengthen the ankle/foot, and gradually increase the minutes after a certain period of time, but truthfully, that injury should've already healed up enough for him to play over half a game.

When you factor in his weight and the ongoing problems he was having, this just doesn't shock me. Once the rumors started pouring in that he was thinking about retiring, well, that was it for me. If the injury is that bad, after the rehabilitation time he has had two or three separate times, he wasn't coming back.

• Like 1

Damn, that sucks to hear. He was one of my favorite players when he first came into the league, one of the reasons I started following the Rockets even a little bit (I became a Rockets fan when TMac was traded from Orlando). It's a damn shame that injury has forced him to retire as when he was playing, he was fun to watch. I'm not surprised by him retiring but I think it's the right choice. Who knows, maybe he'll come back in a couple of years...One can only hope.

Damn now we officially have no marquee player. Yao was a true professional, he gave it his all but injuries kept slowing him down. Sad to see go, hope he stays around the organization. It sucks, when this guy was healthy he was arguably the best center in the NBA.

He's going to be missed, definitely a hall of famer. He's going to end up being one of those "what if" stories we're all going to ponder about when talking about basketball. When healthy, he was great. I think I'll always remember him for his game 1 performance against the Lakers back in 2009. Gets injured, re-enters the game, scores 8 straight points, and wins the game.

It's amazing, out of the top 5 in the 2002 NBA draft, only two remain in the league (Dunleavy and Gooden). Jay Williams, Yao Ming, and Nikolaz Tskitishvilli are all out of the league.

He's going to be missed, definitely a hall of famer.

He shouldn't be, or at least he shouldn't be a lock by any means.

What exactly did he do that would warrant being in the hall? Taking injuries into consideration, his career was basically only 6 seasons long, and its not like he was out of this world dominant during his time on the floor. Career averages of 19/9/2 on 52% shooting isn't exaclty anything to drool over and neither is his 5 All-NBA apperances, when you consider that 3 of them were 3rd teams. Those are good accomplishments, don't get me wrong, but considering how little time he spent on the court I would expect more from somebody to consider them a lock for the hall.

Other than his 3 year stretch from 05 to 08 (where he averaged 23.4/10.1/1.8), his career wasn't exactly all that great. Obviously injuries are a huge reason why he didn't continue to put up these kinds of numbers for an extended period of time, but that is just part of life. It is also worth noting that in these 3 seasons he only played in 160 games, which is less than 2 full seasons.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the guy a lot and when he was healthy he was a great player, but I just don't see any reason, outside of maybe the popularity that he brought from China, why he should be considered a hall of famer. He spent almost half his career on the injured list, and when he was healthy he wasn't some dominant force like a prime Shaq or something. You could even go as far as to say that there might not have ever been a point in his career that he was the best center in the league, at least the clear cut best one. He certainly wasn't ever a top 5 player in the league, either.

Sucks that we won't ever be able to see him on the floor again and that he career was ended because of injuries, though.

What exactly did he do that would warrant being in the hall? Taking injuries into consideration, his career was basically only 6 seasons long, and its not like he was out of this world dominant during his time on the floor. Career averages of 19/9/2 on 52% shooting isn't exaclty anything to drool over and neither is his 5 All-NBA apperances, when you consider that 3 of them were 3rd teams. Those are good accomplishments, don't get me wrong, but considering how little time he spent on the court I would expect more from somebody to consider them a lock for the hall.

Other than his 3 year stretch from 05 to 08 (where he averaged 23.4/10.1/1.8), his career wasn't exactly all that great. Obviously injuries are a huge reason why he didn't continue to put up these kinds of numbers for an extended period of time, but that is just part of life. It is also worth noting that in these 3 seasons he only played in 160 games, which is less than 2 full seasons.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the guy a lot and when he was healthy he was a great player, but I just don't see any reason, outside of maybe the popularity that he brought from China, why he should be considered a hall of famer. He spent almost half his career on the injured list, and when he was healthy he wasn't some dominant force like a prime Shaq or something. You could even go as far as to say that there might not have ever been a point in his career that he was the best center in the league, at least the clear cut best one. He certainly wasn't ever a top 5 player in the league, either.

Sucks that we won't ever be able to see him on the floor again and that he career was ended because of injuries, though.

Yao contributed to the game of basketball outside the basketball court, for China and many other Asian countries he was an ambassador. That alone gets him into the Hall of Fame and not to mention he was the best player at his position for a few years.

We're talking about the Basketball Hall of Fame not the NBA Hall of Fame (because there isn't one..).

It's also worth noting that he played basketball nearly year round when healthy. It's actually pretty amazing he managed to play his first three seasons without missing significant time (missed 2 games in that span).

You have to realize what it takes to get into the hall of fame. It's not only predicated on what you did in the NBA, Yao already put up better numbers than Bill Walton ever did, and Walton got in mainly due to his college career.

This is where you look at the fact that Yao has had a solid NBA career, but beyond that is what truly places him in the Hall. Yao is the first successful Chinese player in the NBA, and the first Chinese All Star in this league. Not only did he break down borders, but he did it with class. He's been apart of many humanitarian efforts both in US and in China, and was a dominant force in his years with the Shanghai Sharks. He won 3 FIBA Asian Championships and was an MVP in all of those runs.

This was expected..:(

It's hard when you're that big to play in a pro sports league, let alone live a healthy lifestyle (walking, exercise, etc). I hope for the best for him and his family and hopefully he can still participate in basketbal (NBA or China) in someway.

Damn now we officially have no marquee player. Yao was a true professional, he gave it his all but injuries kept slowing him down. Sad to see go, hope he stays around the organization. It sucks, when this guy was healthy he was arguably the best center in the NBA.

When healthy he was the best center in the NBA. Other than that very well said. I hate seeing a player go out due to injuries but it is very much a part of the game we have come to live with. Yao was the face of the Rockets for many years and we had some great ones. I am glad the Yao/TMac era is offically over but I completly hate the fact that it is over completely due to injuries. The what if will for ever haunt Rocket fans.

We're talking about the Basketball Hall of Fame not the NBA Hall of Fame (because there isn't one..).

It's also worth noting that he played basketball nearly year round when healthy. It's actually pretty amazing he managed to play his first three seasons without missing significant time (missed 2 games in that span).

You have to realize what it takes to get into the hall of fame. It's not only predicated on what you did in the NBA, Yao already put up better numbers than Bill Walton ever did, and Walton got in mainly due to his college career.

This is where you look at the fact that Yao has had a solid NBA career, but beyond that is what truly places him in the Hall. Yao is the first successful Chinese player in the NBA, and the first Chinese All Star in this league. Not only did he break down borders, but he did it with class. He's been apart of many humanitarian efforts both in US and in China, and was a dominant force in his years with the Shanghai Sharks. He won 3 FIBA Asian Championships and was an MVP in all of those runs.

He should not be inducted to the HOF as a player. It should be like the NHL, where they have a "builders" section, where you can make an argument that he expanded the game in Asia. I'm sorry, but he has NO "major" hardware. He doesn't have one First-Team NBA selection, no MVPs', and nothing else of note for hardware. He should not get on based upon his performance, nor should he get in as a player just because he's from China. If he gets in because he just happens to be from China, so he has a lot of "influence", that's just dumb.

Player to player comparison, Dwight Howard has much more hardware (I think Yao was the better player), and he wouldn't get in if he retired today. Basically your case is all about his influence, and that alone should not get you in the HOF.

He should not be inducted to the HOF as a player. It should be like the NHL, where they have a "builders" section, where you can make an argument that he expanded the game in Asia. I'm sorry, but he has NO "major" hardware. He doesn't have one First-Team NBA selection, no MVPs', and nothing else of note for hardware. He should not get on based upon his performance, nor should he get in as a player just because he's from China. If he gets in because he just happens to be from China, so he has a lot of "influence", that's just dumb.

Player to player comparison, Dwight Howard has much more hardware (I think Yao was the better player), and he wouldn't get in if he retired today. Basically your case is all about his influence, and that alone should not get you in the HOF.

He has hardware when playing in China, should we completely ignore what he did outside of the US?