Most Painful Losses

What are the most painful losses you have suffered as a fan of the teams you root for?

There are four that really stand out for me.

1. Bruins losing to the Hurricanes in game 7 three years ago.

2. Patriots losing to the Giants in the Super Bowl. This hurt a lot, but I can't say I was "shocked" that it happened, especially based on the way the Giants played them at the end of the regular season.

3. The Patriots losing to the [expletive]ing Colts in the AFC Championship game after having a 21-0 lead. This one stings as much to me as the loss to the Giants. The Patriots would have wiped the Bears off the field and had their 4th ring, but no, they had to [expletive]ing blow it!

4. The Jets loss this year hurts as well, considering how much shit the Jets talked, and how the Patriots were the best team in the regular season.

Here's a couple.

1. Kobe hitting that jumper after the jump ball which got them the 3-1 lead in 06. I literally cried after that shot lol. <_<

2. Timmy Duncan hitting the three in 08 and then Manu getting that game winning lay up. Crazy game but horrible ending. <_<

3. Favre chucking a prayer to Greg Lewis for the win. <_<

1. Stanley Cup Finals Game 7. So close, injuries really derailed our chance. Just ran out of steam.

2. Pittsburgh/Arizona Super Bowl.

Those are probably the only ones. Which says a lot about the teams I support lol.

I don't think Horton and Savard derailed your chance...... :glasses: .

Edited by DaBearsfan101

I have 10....could have even more...

1. Game 6: Cavs vs. Celtics (2010)

2. Game 7: Cavs vs. Celtics (2008) - That one hurt bad, seems so long ago...

3. Game 7: Indians vs. Red Sox (2007) - Blew a 3-1 series lead...

4. Game 6: Cavs vs. Magic (2009)

5. Game 5: Cavs vs. Celtics (2010) - This game was so depressing I was more immune to the pain than the top four

6. National Championship: OSU vs. Florida (Basketball & Football)

7. National Championship: OSU vs. LSU

8. Browns vs. Jets (2010) - Painful loss in OT...could've turned season around

9. Game 4: Cavs vs. Spurs (2007) - I wanted us to have a Game 5 so bad just to see another game in Cleveland...

10. Game 6: Cavs vs. Pistons (2006) - 3-2 series lead, could've won at home, but lost series instead in 7

Others include OSU/Sienna in 1st round of March Madness as well as OSU/Kentucky....and pretty much EVERY Cavs let down (or, LeBron let down) in the playoffs.

This is in my lifetime, in which mainly OSU football and Cavalier basketball were relevant.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

• Owner

Easy. In no particular order...

1) Lakers/Celtics, 2008 NBA Finals. That was a killer. I hate talking about it.

2) Lakers/Suns, 2006 Playoffs. I hate Tim Thomas, and I'll never forget us not being able to grab a damn rebound, which would've ENDED THE SERIES.

3) Raiders/Patriots, AFC Championship Game, the Tuck Rule garbage...won't go any further.

4) Raiders/Bucs, when we were completely RAN OVER in the Super Bowl by Gruden, because we were too stupid to change anything from the previous season.

5) Lakers/Pistons, 2004 Finals, the entire series sucked. I lost so much money.

I'll stop at five. The Mavs/Lakers series (this season) was a stinger as well.

Easy. In no particular order...

1) Lakers/Celtics, 2008 NBA Finals. That was a killer. I hate talking about it.

2) Lakers/Suns, 2006 Playoffs. I hate Tim Thomas, and I'll never forget us not being able to grab a damn rebound, which would've ENDED THE SERIES.

3) Raiders/Patriots, AFC Championship Game, the Tuck Rule garbage...won't go any further.

4) Raiders/Bucs, when we were completely RAN OVER in the Super Bowl by Gruden, because we were too stupid to change anything from the previous season.

5) Lakers/Pistons, 2004 Finals, the entire series sucked. I lost so much money.

I'll stop at five. The Mavs/Lakers series (this season) was a stinger as well.

That brings back some memories. I was a Sophomore in high school that year, and I'd make some bets with kids at school. However, the games were on late, and I didn't have a television in my room, so I'd be watching the game on ESPN gamecast, and I remember being so damn happy when it said "Tim Thomas, 3-PT". That moment made my week. :lol: .

Superbowl

http://www.mkrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/tyree.jpg

Losing to the Lakers after our lead..

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0618/nba_g_kbryant_sy_576.jpg

Colts comeback vs Patriots in 06(?)

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/647/759/73079722_display_image.jpg?1295392801

definetly my top 3..those sucked ass.

I cried this night, no joke...

http://thesportsunion.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/bdd_ym_1019_nlcs_gett.jpg

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2008/04/chalmers3pointer.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2007/0106/nfl_a_romo_412.jpg

1. Isn't even close...

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_sports_nhl_experts__68/ept_sports_nhl_experts-470900845-1279464925.jpg?ymdnKeDD77yDOHSK

No explanation needed.

2. http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/New+York+Yankees+v+Philadelphia+Phillies+Game+gqbYI0n76EGl.jpg

Game 4, '09 World Series. Pedro Feliz hit a huge homerun to tie the game late, then Johnny Damon steals two bases with nobody covering third. Would have tied the series if we won that, instead we went down 3-1...

3. http://www.tampabay.com/multimedia/archive/00042/C4S_eagles102108_42822c.jpeg

Last game at the Vet. And nobody will ever convince me that the Eagles wouldn't have destroyed the Raiders in that Super Bowl...

I am a Philadelphia fan, I could probably rattle off a ton more. But these stand out more than the others.

Maybe it's because you were younger and don't remember it as much, but I'd figure this would be more painful, although the one you posted would be painful too.

I like this one better though. :glasses: .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PclggW30n-k

Oh no, that one was a killer.. I was 16 during that game. Probably not as into football as I am now, and definitely not as fresh in my mind as the Eagles loss.. But a great one to bring up. TO killed us, and then the game ended on a penalty, botched snap by Trey Junkin (that [expletive]ing [expletive]), etc etc. Terrible memory :(

Oh no, that one was a killer.. I was 16 during that game. Probably not as into football as I am now, and definitely not as fresh in my mind as the Eagles loss.. But a great one to bring up. TO killed us, and then the game ended on a penalty, botched snap by Trey Junkin (that [expletive]ing [expletive]), etc etc. Terrible memory :(

It should have been pass interference. Every time I hear about the Giants beating the Patriots, I'm just like, [expletive] you, and post that video.

It should have been pass interference. Every time I hear about the Giants beating the Patriots, I'm just like, [expletive] you, and post that video.

And they probably respond with "wait, who the [expletive] likes both the Patriots and 49ers?".

• Like 3

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/pb-110327-vcu-kansas-eg-02.photoblog900.jpg

http://media.nj.com/college_basketball_blog/photo/northern-iowa-players-after-beating-no-1-kansas-200ee3824997b3aa_large.jpg

Edited by BasX

Very easy, definitely that one :

http://lagrosseballeorange.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/starks2.jpg

We had other painful losses but they were not even close to this one. At least for me... Cause honestly other than that one we mostly lost against the Bulls in the 90's. Yet it wasn't surprising that the mighty Bulls beat us (it would have been great if Charles Smith made one of his four shots though...). Well in 95 it was very heartbreaking to see Ewing miss his finger roll against the Pacers (I don't blame him for that though, shit happens and Ewing showed many times how great a leader he was, it's first thanks to his unbelievable performance that we surprisingly (no one expected that at the time, before the series everyone was sure that the Bulls would sweep us) forced the Bulls to a game 7 in 92, he was fantastic in this series, especially in the money time of game 2 (or game 1 I don't exactly remember) when he had a heroic performance while playing injured, he couldn't miss anything that day, besides he already hit a clutch shot the preceeding year against the same Pacers, it just can't happen every time..) but it was a loss in the semis so it's not that bad... And in the 99 Finals well it was already very surprising to see us going that far, the only time that a 8 seed makes it to the Finals so this season was nothing but positive to us. Besides we played against San Antonio, whose main strength was inside, without Ewing who was injured so it was honestly expected.. And my second favorite player, John Starks, wasn't with us any longer... So I can't consider this loss as a painful loss, even if I would have definitely prefered to see us win.

As for the 2000's we sucked the whole decade so none of our losses were truly painful, all of this was expected.

No the 1994 Finals, and especially this terrible game 6 is by far the most painful loss I ever had to experience. This time we had a truly great chance to win it all. We were clearly among the very best team and it was clearly our best chance to win a ring that year. I mean since I'm a Knicks fan obviously... Besides we played eye to eye with the Rockets (no game was won by more than ten points) this with Ewing struggling offensively THE WHOLE FINALS. And this time I definitely blame him for that loss. Ewing is first of all a shooting center. That's his game. But this time he struggled with his shot (it can happen to every shooter). Which is why everybody, especially Pat Riley, asked him to play more in the paint. But Ewing refused to listen. He claimed that it wasn't his game. It's true but still a leader has to adapt his game to the circomstances, that was particularly outrageous of him not to listen to his coach. Not only that but he even shot from further away every game ! I remember that someone even said that he wondered if he wouldn't start shooting from behind the ark... That wasn't clever of him, that's the least we can say. At least he was there defensively, arguably even the best defender of the series (he even set a record for most blocked shot in a Finals series and in one single game in those Finals). But still the fact that he wasn't himself offensively definitely hurt us.

And this game 6 was particularly painful. The Rockets led by 2 at the end of the game, we had one last possession. John Starks shot for three at the buzzer but Hakeem blocked his shot (the pic I posted) and the Rockets won. It is painful because it was the turning point of the Finals. Starks was literally HAUNTED by this missed shot and he totally lost his basketball after that, not only for game 7 but for several months... he eventually got back to his true self during the 95 season, in a game against... the Rockets in which he even posterized Hakeem Olajuwon. I watched this game and I can say that it was a great revenge... It didn't make up for the lost Finals but it sure was great to see.

So anyway Starks wasn't himself in this game 7 and the Rockets eventually beat us. But honestly we lost those Finals with our superstar who struggled the whole series and our second best player who was terrible in game 1 and 7 (yeah Starks already struggled in game 1 but he was fantastic in the following five games)... And despite that fact we didn't lose any game by more than ten points ! So honestly one can help but wonder what would have happened if Ewing was at his best offensively and Starks didn't struggle in two games... Don't want to take anything from the Rockets, they won and deserved it, but there is no doubt in my mind that things would have been way different.

Not only that but I have to say that all the players in that fantastic 94 Knicks squad are among my fav players ever. Ewing and Starks are my fav players ever and Oak, Mase, Harper, Smith, Anthony, etc... are all among my very fav players as well. So I like Melo and Stat a lot, and I'm excited by our new team and hope that we will win a ring but I have to say that I still do not like our current players as much I liked the 94 ones and that, even if a Knicks win now would make me very happy it still would not make up for the loss of the 94 Finals... I know that I'll never like a team as much I loved that one.

So for all these reasons there is no doubt this 94 loss is definitely my most painful loss.

Since I've been a fan there have not really been any painful losses as we have mainly sucked. It hurt losing to NJ a few years back when we were the 3 seed, but deep down I think we all knew that the Nets were better especially with Vince in New Jersey with Kidd and RJ.

But the VC shot against PHI stings me even though I wasn't a fan at the time, just thinking how different everything might be in Toronto today for the Raptors if that shot goes down and we maybe go on to the finals instead of Philly (even though we would have got dummied by LA), it just would have been huge for basketball here I think. But I wasn't there when it happened, if that kind of shot happened these days I'd probably be pretty sad lol.

But unfortunately since I have followed sports closely enough for losses to hurt, all Toronto teams have basically sucked, or had no high expectations for me to be let down. I guess the Leafs losing in the 2nd round against Philly in 03-04 sucked because the Leafs were so decent that year getting over 100 points, but Philly had more anyways, plus I was like 13 so I didn't really give a shit lol.