2011 MLB All-Star Game

Cobb

Elaborate, please. On both sentences.

I don't know, maybe the part where he not only sat out, but didn't attend the game? I don't think it's bad if he doesn't play because he doesn't want to hurt himself again, but showing up to the game does not affect that. And, don't give me the "Oh, he needs his trainers back in New York" garbage either.

Again, I don't have a problem with him not playing, but at least attend the game.

And, it's not surprising because he's become less and less likable over the years.

I don't know, maybe the part where he not only sat out, but didn't attend the game? I don't think it's bad if he doesn't play because he doesn't want to hurt himself again, but showing up to the game does not affect that. And, don't give me the "Oh, he needs his trainers back in New York" garbage either.

Again, I don't have a problem with him not playing, but at least attend the game.

And, it's not surprising because he's become less and less likable over the years.

I don't get how that effects you. He wasn't at the game? Who cares, whether he was or he wasn't, it wouldn't effect anyone at all. Let him choose where he wants to be, it's funny how you think you should decipher how to live a multi millionaire's life

If it's just about him not attending the game, then you're missing the point, because he's not the only player who's sitting out and not attending. The reason these anonymous MLB officials are calling him out is because baseball wanted to celebrate his 3000 hits. And because he chose not to fly across the country to celebrate his own achievements, he's at fault. Derek Jeter is apparently supposed to fly from New York to Arizona to tip his cap, and if he doesn't, he deserves blame.

And what has he done that has made him less and less likeable? Please don't tell me you're thinking about the faked HBP incident.

If it's just about him not attending the game, then you're missing the point, because he's not the only player who's sitting out and not attending. The reason these anonymous MLB officials are calling him out is because baseball wanted to celebrate his 3000 hits. And because he chose not to fly across the country to celebrate his own achievements, he's at fault. Derek Jeter is apparently supposed to fly from New York to Arizona to tip his cap, and if he doesn't, he deserves blame.

And what has he done that has made him less and less likeable? Please don't tell me you're thinking about the faked HBP incident.

No, I think other players skipping the game as well aren't doing what they should be doing, which is attending the game.

And, it's more about his contract negotiations that I've started not to like him. I actually like A-Rod more.

I am on the "Jeter should have gone" side. If players who are voted in by the fans can decide for themselves whether or not they show up, then we need to get rid of fan voting completely (well, this actually isn't such an awful idea...).

He is not an all star this year by any stretch, but the fans still voted him in. They wanted to see him. So just go.

For the record, I like Jeter a lot. I think this was some poor judgment though.

• Like 1

The fans voted for Jeter to play in the game. He wants to rest his calf (because he is most concerned with making the playoffs and winning the World Series), so that makes the fan argument irrelevant. He wouldn't play even if he did show up. That brings me to my next point: the main thing Jeter would have been doing in Arizona would be fielding congratulations and having baseball celebrate his accomplishment. His whole career has been about winning as a team, so why is he suddenly to blame if he doesn't want to celebrate his personal achievements in the middle of a season?

I find something like this ridiculous. The only quote in there that mentions the fans is Beltran's, and he was talking about players who aren't injured.

If Derek Jeter weren't injured and chose not to play/show up, that's an argument of its own. But Jeter's job is to play for the New York Yankees and assist them in winning, not to fly to Arizona to tip his cap to the crowd.

Edited by Brooklyn Bound

The All Star Game is all about PR, though. Regardless of if he is going to play, not bothering to show up at all seems like a big "F U" to the millions of fans who voted you in, or your peers who selected you. Just my opinion. There were several other injured players who showed up. I am sure their week could have been better spent at home working with their personal trainers too.

This seems especially true with Jeter, considering the 3,000 hits thing. I am sure there were many fans who'd have enjoyed to see him honored in front of the entire baseball world.

I don't think it's as huge a deal as many people are saying. I just think it was pretty lame on Jeter's part. Don't murder me now, Yankee fans!

The All Star Game is all about PR, though. Regardless of if he is going to play, not bothering to show up at all seems like a big "F U" to the millions of fans who voted you in, or your peers who selected you. Just my opinion. There were several other injured players who showed up. I am sure their week could have been better spent at home working with their personal trainers too.

This seems especially true with Jeter, considering the 3,000 hits thing. I am sure there were many fans who'd have enjoyed to see him honored in front of the entire baseball world.

I don't think it's as huge a deal as many people are saying. I just think it was pretty lame on Jeter's part. Don't murder me now, Yankee fans!

I think the only people who would vote for him as an all-star this year would be Yankees fans since he doesn't deserve it(at least a starting position). I think the Yankees fans would be more satisfied if he rested to be ready to go for the second half of the season. I wouldn't have complained if Weaver decided to rest his arm instead of throwing for no reason, but hey, he played so its irrelevant. What would the media's reaction have been if Jeter had played and got reinjured, though?

I think the only people who would vote for him as an all-star this year would be Yankees fans since he doesn't deserve it(at least a starting position). I think the Yankees fans would be more satisfied if he rested to be ready to go for the second half of the season. I wouldn't have complained if Weaver decided to rest his arm instead of throwing for no reason, but hey, he played so its irrelevant. What would the media's reaction have been if Jeter had played and got reinjured, though?

Lots of assumptions there. The bottom line is that he was voted in. Should be his duty to show up, whether he played or didn't play.

Also worth noting that Jeter has been voted an all-star more than ten times now. He's acknowledging a similar group of voters every year, and now he's missing one year. Mental exhaustion is not invalid when you're talking about flying to Arizona just to tip your cap and shake hands. Plus, in a year where Jeter didn't deserve the votes stats-wise, you can assume that most of the votes came from Yankee fans who he acknowledges time and time again through the season.

Lots of assumptions there. The bottom line is that he was voted in. Should be his duty to show up, whether he played or didn't play.

Here's a question.. Do you feel the same about the players who skip the Pro Bowl every year in the NFL? (Not trying to sound like a smartass..)

In the end, he skipped a double coast-to-coast trip just 6 games off the DL with a lower leg injury (lower legs take a pounding with the altitude.. not making excuses, lol). Maybe the MLB wanted him there to make some extra money off his 3,000th hit, and some fans would have liked him to show up and watch.. but it wouldn't have been in his best interest.

Here's a question.. Do you feel the same about the players who skip the Pro Bowl every year in the NFL? (Not trying to sound like a smartass..)

In the end, he skipped a double coast-to-coast trip just 6 games off the DL with a lower leg injury (lower legs take a pounding with the altitude.. not making excuses, lol). Maybe the MLB wanted him there to make some extra money off his 3,000th hit, and some fans would have liked him to show up and watch.. but it wouldn't have been in his best interest.

The trip on a plane is not going to hurt his leg much at all when he can get the best treatment there is. I'm not comparing sports here, but many hockey players have injuries during the playoffs, and they take plane rides and suck it up, and play in their games. Derek Jeter didn't even have to play in the game, he just had to show up.

Also, why are you comparing the Pro-Bowl to the All-Star Game? One game is much more important than the other, and actually....you know...counts for something. I know in this case that if Jeter showed up he wouldn't be playing, but the point remains the same that the two events aren't comparable.

At the end of the day, I think he should have at least shown up for the game. I would never say he has to play because he was just injured, but a plane ride isn't putting his season in jeopardy.

Edited by DaBearsfan101

The trip on a plane is not going to hurt his leg much at all when he can get the best treatment there is. I'm not comparing sports here, but many hockey players have injuries during the playoffs, and they take plane rides and suck it up, and play in their games. Derek Jeter didn't even have to play in the game, he just had to show up.

A coast to coast plane trip fresh off a DL stint with a strained calf (the same injury that [expletive]ed Jimmy Rollins the entire year last season) puts a ton more strain on him than not leaving his world class treatment at all. He did what was best for Derek Jeter and the New York Yankees.

NHL players take plane rides and play in games? Sure. If the Yankees had a playoff game, Derek would have taken the plane ride and played. This is a midseason exhibition game. Monumental difference.

Also, why are you comparing the Pro-Bowl to the All-Star Game? One game is much more important than the other, and actually....you know...counts for something. I know in this case that if Jeter showed up he wouldn't be playing, but the point remains the same that the two events aren't comparable.

lol come on man, one paragraph after comparing a playoff hockey game to the baseball all-star game, you're going to tell me something isn't comparable?

The point doesn't remain. If an NFL player was voted in by the fans, and decided not to play, wouldn't it be the same responsibility to show up? If any point is irrelevant, it's that the MLB game counts for something, since he wasn't playing regardless (as you already pointed out).

At the end of the day, I think he should have at least shown up for the game. I would never say he has to play because he was just injured, but a plane ride isn't putting his season in jeopardy.

Maybe not, but it's putting him in a worse position than he's in resting it and getting treatment without swelling his legs on a 5.5 hour plane ride twice in three days.

A coast to coast plane trip fresh off a DL stint with a strained calf (the same injury that [expletive]ed Jimmy Rollins the entire year last season) puts a ton more strain on him than not leaving his world class treatment at all. He did what was best for Derek Jeter and the New York Yankees.

NHL players take plane rides and play in games? Sure. If the Yankees had a playoff game, Derek would have taken the plane ride and played. This is a midseason exhibition game. Monumental difference.

lol come on man, one paragraph after comparing a playoff hockey game to the baseball all-star game, you're going to tell me something isn't comparable?

The point doesn't remain. If an NFL player was voted in by the fans, and decided not to play, wouldn't it be the same responsibility to show up? If any point is irrelevant, it's that the MLB game counts for something, since he wasn't playing regardless (as you already pointed out).

Maybe not, but it's putting him in a worse position than he's in resting it and getting treatment without swelling his legs on a 5.5 hour plane ride twice in three days.

A plane ride isn't going to hurt him much, if at all. I think you're trying to make it sound like he has a much higher risk of injury, when in fact I really don't think he does.

What are you talking about here? You asked how we would feel if NFL players didn't show up to a MEANINGLESS Pro-Bowl. I said that comparison didn't make sense because the Pro-Bowl doesn't count for anything. I also said that I know even if Jeter showed up he wouldn't have played. I'm really not sure where you were trying to go with this one. I'm not saying this in a negative way, but it was a poor comparison considering one game determines home field advantage, and the other does not. I guess I get your point of asking if we would feel the same if a player like Peyton Manning didn't show up because he was injured, but at the end of the day, football is a much more physically demanding sport, and the Pro-Bowl doesn't count for anything meaningful.

At the end of the day, he probably should have at least shown up. It's not like they had a game the next day either.

A plane ride isn't going to hurt him much, if at all. I think you're trying to make it sound like he has a much higher risk of injury, when in fact I really don't think he does.

I'm not trying to make it sound like he'd get more hurt, but it's ignorant to think that 11 hours in the air isn't going to take a toll on a calf that kept him on the DL for a few weeks. Will it make him worse? Probably not. Will it put his treatment on pause, and possibly stagnate the constant recovery of the muscle? Yup. He had a few days off to recover from an injury that had shelved him for a while, and he took advantage of it.

So again, what is the point of risking the speed of his full recovery just to watch an exhibition game? Just because?

I didn't see Lester there.. did he show? Can't confirm it one way or the other.

What are you talking about here? You asked how we would feel if NFL players didn't show up to a MEANINGLESS Pro-Bowl. I said that comparison didn't make sense because the Pro-Bowl doesn't count for anything.

Phightins, who I was responding to, said that Jeter had a responsibility because the fans voted him in. Fans also vote regularly for the Pro Bowl, and players don't show. Don't they maintain the same responsibility?

I also said that I know even if Jeter showed up he wouldn't have played. I'm really not sure where you were trying to go with this one. I'm not saying this in a negative way, but it was a poor comparison considering one game determines home field advantage, and the other does not.

And again, neither point matters, because he wasn't playing. Shit, it's a disadvantage for the AL team if he plays. Whether or not he showed up to watch is what is being debated. I'm not going anywhere with it; if Jeter is required to show up because "fans voted him in", why isn't half the NFL required to show up when they are voted in by fans on the reg?

I guess I get your point of asking if we would feel the same if a player like Peyton Manning didn't show up because he was injured, but at the end of the day, football is a much more physically demanding sport, and the Pro-Bowl doesn't count for anything meaningful.

You're bringing up the meaning of a game again, which is completely irrelevant in a situation where a guy isn't [expletive]ing playing regardless.

At the end of the day, he probably should have at least shown up. It's not like they had a game the next day either.

6 games off the DL, he didn't want his treatment to stagnate during 11 hours of flight time to watch an exhibition game. I'm not mad at him, but I can see how people are. Depends on your vantage point.

I'm not trying to make it sound like he'd get more hurt, but it's ignorant to think that 11 hours in the air isn't going to take a toll on a calf that kept him on the DL for a few weeks. Will it make him worse? Probably not. Will it put his treatment on pause, and possibly stagnate the constant recovery of the muscle? Yup. He had a few days off to recover from an injury that had shelved him for a while, and he took advantage of it.

So again, what is the point of risking the speed of his full recovery just to watch an exhibition game? Just because?

I didn't see Lester there.. did he show? Can't confirm it one way or the other.

Phightins, who I was responding to, said that Jeter had a responsibility because the fans voted him in. Fans also vote regularly for the Pro Bowl, and players don't show. Don't they maintain the same responsibility?

And again, neither point matters, because he wasn't playing. Shit, it's a disadvantage for the AL team if he plays. Whether or not he showed up to watch is what is being debated. I'm not going anywhere with it; if Jeter is required to show up because "fans voted him in", why isn't half the NFL required to show up when they are voted in by fans on the reg?

You're bringing up the meaning of a game again, which is completely irrelevant in a situation where a guy isn't [expletive]ing playing regardless.

6 games off the DL, he didn't want his treatment to stagnate during 11 hours of flight time to watch an exhibition game. I'm not mad at him, but I can see how people are. Depends on your vantage point.

I said in in the post before my last, that I know the comparison isn't the same because Jeter was not going to play regardless. I addressed that multiple times. The game still has meaning, so I think he should have been there, even if he wasn't going to play, or have an effect on the game. I thought I mad that pretty clear. I'm not even trying to argue, but I thought I made that pretty clear, and have said multiple times that I know he wasn't going to play regardless.

I said in in the post before my last, that I know the comparison isn't the same because Jeter was not going to play regardless. I addressed that multiple times. The game still has meaning, so I think he should have been there, even if he wasn't going to play, or have an effect on the game. I thought I mad that pretty clear. I'm not even trying to argue, but I thought I made that pretty clear, and have said multiple times that I know he wasn't going to play regardless.

You have said it multiple times. But you still aren't addressing my point.

Game matters:

Jeter shows up.

Jeter watches.

Jeter has no bearing on the outcome.

Game doesn't matter:

Jeter shows up.

Jeter watches.

So again I'll ask.. if he's not playing, and is injured/rehabbing.. what does it matter whether or not he's in attendance? If his presence has absolutely no bearing on this game or it's ridiculous "meaning".. what are you upset about?

To be honest (and fair), I think you're the only one attacking this from that angle. Nobody else is worried because the MLB all-star game holds some trivial meaning, they're just upset because the fans voted him in and he let them down by not showing up and celebrating his 3,000 and overall popularity. Which, to an extent, I understand. But that he needed to be there because it determines HFA for the World Series, even though he wasn't playing in the game? Silly logic.

He rested up and his calf will be healthy in the 2nd half because of it. Just like Lester stayed home and rested his shoulder, so that we can continue to battle to the finish and bitch and whine and moan at each other for the next few months.

You have said it multiple times. But you still aren't addressing my point.

Game matters:

Jeter shows up.

Jeter watches.

Game doesn't matter:

Jeter shows up.

Jeter watches.

So again I'll ask.. if he's not playing, and is injured/rehabbing.. what does it matter whether or not he's in attendance? If his presence has absolutely no bearing on this game or it's ridiculous "meaning".. what are you upset about?

To be honest (and fair), I think you're the only one attacking this from that angle. Nobody else is worried because the MLB all-star game holds some trivial meaning, they're just upset because the fans voted him in and he let them down by not showing up and celebrating his 3,000 and overall popularity. Which, to an extent, I understand. But that he needed to be there because it determines HFA for the World Series, even though he wasn't playing in the game? Silly logic.

He rested up and his calf will be healthy in the 2nd half because of it. Just like Lester stayed home and rested his shoulder, so that we can continue to battle to the finish and bitch and whine and moan at each other for the next few months.

It's about the principle of him showing up when he was voted in by the fans.....the same fans that buy tickets and merchandise that pay for his bloated contract. I didn't think I had to spell that our for you. I know he will have no bearing on the game, but when there's a game that determinate HFA, I think he should at least be there in support.

It's about the principle of him showing up when he was voted in by the fans.....the same fans that buy tickets and merchandise that pay for his bloated contract. I didn't think I had to spell that our for you.

And Derek Jeter wants to be healthy for the second half so that he can best serve his team and the fans that buy tickets and merchandise (and who help pay for his bloated contract) and try to win the city another World Championship. Let's see, healthy for a World Series run, or trivial exhibition game.. grueling decision.

Think the NY fans are upset about this? I haven't talked to a single Yankee fan who gives two flying [expletive]s that he skipped the game to rest his calf; it's the rest of you blowhards who feel like making a big deal over nothing. Honestly.

Didn't think I had to spell that out for you.

It's about the principle of him showing up when he was voted in by the fans.....the same fans that buy tickets and merchandise that pay for his bloated contract. I didn't think I had to spell that our for you. I know he will have no bearing on the game, but when there's a game that determinate HFA, I think he should at least be there in support.

cool, the pro bowl argument works here too, but you won't back that up and make an excuse. Trolls gonna troll

cool, the pro bowl argument works here too, but you won't back that up and make an excuse. Trolls gonna troll

I said they should show up. Also, football is a completely different game, and the physicality takes a much bigger toll on the body, so a few days off for an NFL player means much more. Show me where I said NFL players shouldn't show up? Show me. Show me. Show me.