is radiohead the modern day beatles?

reno

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In terms of musicians, I think they are far better, though that's not much of a fair statement since the Beatles were the first and original. But, I cannot think of a single band that's better than radiohead for the past 20 years. I would put them in the likes of the Beatles and other classic greats, radiohead helped revolutionize and evolve music to a whole new level, and continue to pump out grade A material. Thom Yorke has an amazing, angelic voice and can play the guitar very well. Jonny Greenwood is also probably one of the best guitarist of our generation, right next to Matt Bellamy. Whats your thoughts?

http://www.socialmedia.biz/images/2007/12/08/radiohead.jpg

• Owner

I've heard this argument for U2, Coldplay, Green Day, Metallica, Iron Maiden, RHCP, and even the Jonas Brothers (lol). It's really hard to say because the music industry was a shooting star at the same time The Beatles walked into the spotlight, so people were searching for someone that could revolutionize the industry.

As far as people actually convincing me, among the groups I listed, the best arguments were for Coldplay, for how unique they are. If music was booming today, after being in the "dark ages" for a while, I think it would make sense that Coldplay would come out of the gates as that group, but I'm not sure if anyone can really be compared to The Beatles.

I've heard this argument for U2, Coldplay, Green Day, Metallica, Iron Maiden, RHCP, and even the Jonas Brothers (lol). It's really hard to say because the music industry was a shooting star at the same time The Beatles walked into the spotlight, so people were searching for someone that could revolutionize the industry.

As far as people actually convincing me, among the groups I listed, the best arguments were for Coldplay, for how unique they are. If music was booming today, after being in the "dark ages" for a while, I think it would make sense that Coldplay would come out of the gates as that group, but I'm not sure if anyone can really be compared to The Beatles.

Coldplay is generic pop...

• Owner

Coldplay is generic pop...

It's not about the genre, it's what they do with their music (MJ was pop as well, same with Britney, we don't compare the three), but I digress. I'm not going to dive into the debate because, quite frankly, it'll all be based on taste. If I don't like Radiohead, there's no way in hell I'll acknowledge them, let alone say they are the modern-day Beatles.

I really don't like any of the groups I listed to begin with. It's not what I listen to. I was just putting it out there.

An argument can be made that Radiohead is one of the most talented bands since The Beatles, and they are certainly one of the most original. No matter the album, Radiohead is able to bring a completely different style and still make a quality album. Radiohead hasn't had the main stream success The Beatles had throughout their careers, so comparing them to the Beatles is unfair because The Beatles reached out to such a large audience. I'd also like to add that any type of rock band that says they haven't sightly been influenced by The Beatles is lying. The Beatles changed music forever.

There can't be a modern day Beatles because of this generation's taste in music. Back then The Beatles was it, everyone loved it, now days people are divided by genres. I love rock and blues music, but if I play that music to my friends who only like rap and dance/electronic music they are like wtf is this garbage, which is exactly what I hear when I listen to rap and dance/electronic. Basically, there are too many genres that have developed since then and people are very stubborn when it comes to branching out to different areas of music. Hell, I barely have any songs I like because a lot of the music I like are from people that are dead, or artists that haven't made a CD in a while. I have turned to listening to live concerts, and I love it so much more than CD recording now, since most guitar players improvise when its live and its like a new song every time.

Radiohead might be good, but there are millions of people out there who won't give them a listen. The Beatles had everyone listening to them.

Edited by SRV

There can't be a modern day Beatles because of this generation's taste in music. Back then The Beatles was it, everyone loved it, now days people are divided by genres. I love rock and blues music, but if I play that music to my friends who only like rap and dance/electronic music they are like wtf is this garbage, which is exactly what I hear when I listen to rap and dance/electronic. Basically, there are too many genres that have developed since then and people are very stubborn when it comes to branching out to different areas of music. Hell, I barely have any songs I like because a lot of the music I like are from people that are dead, or artists that haven't made a CD in a while. I have turned to listening to live concerts, and I love it so much more than CD recording now, since most guitar players improvise when its live and its like a new song every time.

Radiohead might be good, but there are millions of people out there who won't give them a listen. The Beatles had everyone listening to them.

I'm in the same boat, hardly any of my friends listen to rock/metal, they just listen to shitty radio rap or dance/electronic. I feel like my musical taste is so superior to theirs.

Every genre has a version of The Beatles. Overall, the closest thing we'll ever get to anyone being like The Beatles in terms of popularity and sales is Michael Jackson. You can't compare Coldplay to The Beatles because they haven't had anywhere near the impact The Beatles had on society, nor have they come even close to popularity or sales.

You can't compare Coldplay to The Beatles because they haven't had anywhere near the impact The Beatles had on society, nor have they come even close to popularity or sales.

nor is their music shitty enough http://i54.tinypic.com/2a8jol4.jpg