Member debate tournament

Dash

How interested would you guys be If we were to start a debate tournament? Concept isn't too complicated, two members per topic would debate on a subject that the judges will assign and the member with the best argument would advance in the tournament until only one remains. I would like to get at least 16 members to sign up, if we get more or less then we'll figure out something to balance it. I'll be in the tournament depending on how many sign up, if we reach 16 then I will be on the sidelines as a judge maybe.

Anyways right now I just want to gauge the interest level on this board for a tournament.

Edited by Dash

• Owner

If this is successful, we can run with a team concept the next tourney. Eight teams of two, and we can open up the topics outside of basketball, or even sports (unless you want to do that in this one, which might be a bit complicated if guys don't watch other sports).

If this is successful, we can run with a team concept the next tourney. Eight teams of two, and we can open up the topics outside of basketball, or even sports (unless you want to do that in this one, which might be a bit complicated if guys don't watch other sports).

That would be pretty sick. Lets fill up those spots guys!

I wouldn't mind taking part. Right now I'm in Spain, and I don't have much time on the internet, and the time zone change would complicate things. I would be willing to take part in August when I'm back in the U.S. though.

I think we're going to limit it to basketball for now.

So far we got...

1) fish7718

2) IllWill21

3) ChosenOne

4) trutrojan8

5) Rainbow Dash

6) Sublime?

7) Hawks Fly High

8) The Hutch?

Halfway there if Hutch and Sublime are able to make it.

• Owner

We can delay the tourney a little bit, it's going to take a couple of days to set up anyway. For those who will need to wait until August (I guess?), it's nearly a week or two away, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

• Owner

Maybe we can limit it to sports in general, and have a system where we group you guys based on your knowledge of each (baseball fans here, football fans over there), and that will help us with our first round or two.

Our finalists will have to debate multiple topics, multiple sports? I don't know.

I think the easier debates should take place first. Example, so person A has TONS and TONS of knowledge of basketball, one of the smartest, but in the first round, he's debating about something he doesn't know much about and gets eliminated, not really fair to him. I think as we advance in the rounds, the topics get tougher to debate. Make the people do a little research on the topic at hand.