College Football Thread

Flash

We're about a month away from the college football season so this could be the season thread. Post anything here about news, recruiting, predictions, games or anything having to do with CFB.

I have a really good feeling this year about Miami. I say we go 9-3 or 10-2 and into the Orange Bowl game.

I like the Canes. Hope they do well...

Yeah we need a good season to set up a title run in 2010. I'm real excited about Ray Ray Armstong. Lot's of people giving him early comparisons to Sean Taylor.

I also like the U, I think that with Graig Cooper and Jacory Harris, they can have the best run game in the ACC next season. I'll say they win 9 regular season games, and still manage an Orange Bowl win.

I'm a Ducks fan, UO. I'm excited for this year, we have LeGarrette Blount returning with some experience. He's going to be in the Heisman discussion, just wait. I wouldn't be surprised if he carries for 1,500 yards next year.

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Pacific+Life+Holiday+Bowl+0bctYrRFPzgl.jpg

If he carries us, and Jeremiah Mesoli plays better than last year, we can continue to have one of the top 5 offenses in the NCAA. Losing Chung will really hurt the defense, he's the best player we've had on D since Haloti Ngata. Walter Thurmond III will pick up the slack with a few picks of his own, and TJ Ward will continue to nearly kill people.

If you haven't seen this, it's worth watching. TJ Ward folded Zac Robinson in half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc8-gJqzWws

...WOW. That was a serious hit.

Not as big of a hit and we lost this game as well but:

Sean Spence is going to be an All American I've never seen someone his size play linebacker the way he does and tackle so well.

Edited by Flash

I also like the U, I think that with Graig Cooper and Jacory Harris, they can have the best run game in the ACC next season. I'll say they win 9 regular season games, and still manage an Orange Bowl win.

I'm a Ducks fan, UO. I'm excited for this year, we have LeGarrette Blount returning with some experience. He's going to be in the Heisman discussion, just wait. I wouldn't be surprised if he carries for 1,500 yards next year.

I really liked UO back when they had Dennis Dixon. One of my favorite college QB's ever actually. I wish we would've played UO in 2001 instead of Nebraska, I think you guys would've given us a tougher game and you guys deserved it over Nebraska as well.

Edited by Flash

We have a miserable first 4 games all against ranked teams.

FSU - Should be a double digit win IMO.

GT - They worry me because last season their option killed us.

VT - Mega overrated IMO. We beat them last year with Marve and Patrick Nix. I expect a win IN Blacksburg

OU - Definitely a loss but hopefully we'll make it competitive.

HAHA Jacory Harris said in an interview that he doesn't believe Tim Tebow when he says he's a virgin. Today Jim Rome attempted to burn Jacory but failed. Harris is all swag.

Jacory = Closest thing to Dennis Dixon in college football right now, IMO.

btw, watch out for Duke to upset a few teams this year. They will probably only with 6 games tops, but Thaddeus Lewis is one of the most exciting QBs in the country and might pull a 2,000 and 500 season. He only had 100 and some yards last year on the ground (although in college sacks count against your rushing yards, so that doesn't help anyone's total), but I think with less weapons around him and more focus on him, he'll be close to doing that. They might beat a Georgia Tech or North Carolina this year, it wouldn't surprise me.

As much of a homer as I am (I still root for Joey Harrington haha), I honestly feel that in 07 if Dennis didn't tear his ACL against ASU, we would have won the National Championship. We lost to Cal in week 2 I believe, and if one of our no-name WRs didn't fumble the ball into the end zone, we would have won. It was like 6" away from being the Ducks' greatest comeback of the year, but no. Then we disrailed after Dixon went down, won the bowl game against USF I think (I swear, we play USF every year in the Sun Bowl. Bank on it again lol).

Definitely were better than Nebraska, even with Justin Roper at the helm. Man, best team in UO history. That offense, with a functioning Dixon, would have gone down as the greatest offense of the new millenium at least (yeah, better than the Palmer-Leinart-Bush days), and one of the top 10 of all time. We were scoring somewhere around 55 points a game, 600 yards a game, and 300 of them on the ground, all led the nation if I recall. *sigh* Dixon and Stewart will be missed.

That said, LeGarrette Blount for Heisman.

I looked up a few stats just to boggle your mind haha.

btw, here's a link to show you how a 40-0 halftime lead is accumulated in conference play.

http://espndb.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272862483

331 rushing yards

http://espndb.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272510130

Anyway, here's something. Week 1, destroyed Houston. Beat them at their own game, offense. 339 rushing yards, Dixon threw for 2 TD passes in only 15 attempts. Won 48-27.

Week 2, beat Michigan, who was heavily favored (although they did just come off of their Appalachian State loss, which should have motivated them but apparently not). Dixon throws for 3 TDs and runs for another, Ducks win 39-7.

Week 3, another 300 yard rushing performance. Dixon scores 3 total TDs, and Jonathan Stewart runs for over 150 yards and a couple scores. Big surprise, Ducks win 52-21.

In our 4th game, we score 55 points and run Stanford off the map. We average somewhere in the region of 7 yards per play. PER PLAY. That means if we got to third down, something was weird. Dixon throws for 4 TDs, runs for another, and 2 receivers each pass the 100 yard mark, one scoring once, the other (Jaison Williams, All Pac-10) scores twice. 589 yards of offense does the body good, not to mention the 256 yards of returns. We're talking over 800 total yards. Ducks win 55-31.

Week 5, lost to Cal in a heartbreaker. Cameron Colvin (now that I looked it up, that name will haunt me forever) fumbles into Cal's end zone from the 1 yard line, ruining any chance at a score (if he just held on for another yard, Ducks win). Cal was 4-0 before the game and ranked ahead of Oregon, led by DeSean Jackson (sound familiar?) who burned us for 160-some receiving yards. We outgained Cal by 100 yards, and still managed to lose 24-31.

Week 6 now, time for revenge. 53-7 victory over WSU, we score 40 first half points and allow none. This was about the time when everyone in the country noticed our offense, but disrespected our defense. Keep in mind, almost every one of these games is done without our #1 receiver Brian Paysinger. Jerome Boyd and John Bacon each pick of passes, and give All Pac-10 DBs Patrick Chung (Patriots), Jairus Byrd (Bills), and Walter Thurmond III (projected first or second rounder this year) a break.

In the 7th game, Washington went down after being tied going into the 4th quarter. We scored 24 points in the last 13 minutes to blow them away, 55-34. Jonathan Stewart, Andre Crenshaw, and of course Dennis Dixon all account for 2 TDs, and Remene Alston Jr. adds another. This sends a message to upcoming USC and ASU (both top 10 at this point) that you don't take the Quack Attack lightly.

8th game of the year, and the biggest up to this point. If the Ducks win, they move into the top 10, if they lose, it's just a Cinderella start. We scored first, and Dennis Dixon and Jonathan Stewart as a duo outscore Mark Sanchez's Trojans as a whole. Defense was key here, as Matt Harper picks off a pair of passes and gets over 60 return yards out of them. Ducks win the most important game to that point, 24-17 and shock California.

Now comes the ASU game. Oh lawdy. ASU is 8-0 at this point, getting all hyped and everyone's hanging from their nuts. We win 35-23 and shut them up, but Dixon seems to tweak his knee a little and leaves the game early. No biggy, right? Dixon scores 4 TDs, and for the first time all year (and the last time in a game he plays in) he doesn't have a rushing TD. An amazing stat for a QB that's got 20 TDs and 3 INTs to that point. Walter Thurmond picks off a pass, and UO carries on to a 35-23 win. Now we're ranked #2, and getting the respect.

Week 10. FML. Dixon tears his ACL (he has bird legs though, can't say I didn't see some sort of knee injury coming, he must have like a 4" diameter on his ankles), we lose to Willie Tuitama and Antione Cason's Zona team, Cason takes a pick back and Tui throws for almost 300 yards. We outgain Arizona by 150 yards, and outscore them by 10 points in the second half but the offense comes too little, too late. We lose 34-24 to a 5-5 team and all is lost. Now that the voters know Dixon is done (and we're led by Brady Leaf, Ryan Leaf's inferior brother (which is impossible) or a freshman with a pencil thin neck), we drop fast.

UCLA beats us 16-0. We have 148 total yards. Jonathan Stewart is getting 6 pairs of eyes on him every play. Our QBs have no experience (they've been behind Kellen Clemens and Dennis Dixon their whole careers), and they panic. Now we are almost out of the top 25 at this point.

In the Civil War, OSU beats us 38-31 in OT. Justin Roper shows, if nothing else, he should start the bowl game. Oregon is now playing second fiddle in their own state, just 2 weeks after being second rated in the country.

In the Sun Bowl, UO shows its fury and goes for 353 rushing yards, 533 total. Roper throws for 4 TDs and no picks, in his first game as a starter. Jonathan Stewart has the game of his career as he leaves Eugene for the NFL, with 253 rushing yards on 23 carries, an 11 YPC average. He runs for a TD and also catches a TD pass. His 253 rushing yards (and his average for anyone with more than 15 carries or something, can't remember the specifics) are modern bowl game records. The "No Defense" secondary accounts for 4 picks, 2 courtesy of Jairus Byrd, another from Walter Thurmond (which is taken back for a TD), and another from Mike DiVincenzo who also scores on the play. Ducks have the most frustrating 56-21 win in college football history.

No doubt Dixon was just an amazing player at the college level and I agree on the National Title point you made.

I don't wanna make it sound even worse lol but if Dennis Dixon hadn't gotten hurt and UO goes on to win that MNC, then we're talking about Oregon becoming an elite program. Recruiting would have gone through the roof but Dennis ended up getting hurt. I also don't think their offense outdoes the 2001 Canes(no team will) or the 05 Longhorns with VY. Those are the 2 best teams of this decade and there's a pretty big gap between them.

About the Jacory/Dixon comparison, I see where you can get that from. Jacory isn't considered the athlete that Dixon was but his athleticism is pretty underrated IMO. I think Jacory is going to be a superstar. He has everything you look for in a leader for your team.

I think Memphis can make some noise this year in C-USA and this is probably one of the better teams we have had since DeAngelo left. Curtis Steele had a great season last year and is probablyone of the most underrated players in C-USA. Arkelon Hall has another year as a starter. We really need to stay away from injuries on the defensive side because that is probably the weakest part of the team, expecially the D-line.

For Syracuse, I just hope I get a few games in my area. The only game I saw last year was the Norte Dame game. It'll be interesting to see how Doug Marone's pro style offense will fit in the NCAA. And I really think Marone will help bring in some more recruits from the NY/NJ area that wouldn't of gone to Syracuse before.

You guys just got a commitment from Darrell Givens a good corner prospect that couldn't qualify at Penn St.

Our rushing game and defense [for the most part] will be fine but our passing game took a huge hit in the draft. I don't know, we'll see. I expect Jourdan Brooks and Kordell Young to have a huge year though.

No doubt Dixon was just an amazing player at the college level and I agree on the National Title point you made.

I don't wanna make it sound even worse lol but if Dennis Dixon hadn't gotten hurt and UO goes on to win that MNC, then we're talking about Oregon becoming an elite program. Recruiting would have gone through the roof but Dennis ended up getting hurt. I also don't think their offense outdoes the 2001 Canes(no team will) or the 05 Longhorns with VY. Those are the 2 best teams of this decade and there's a pretty big gap between them.

About the Jacory/Dixon comparison, I see where you can get that from. Jacory isn't considered the athlete that Dixon was but his athleticism is pretty underrated IMO. I think Jacory is going to be a superstar. He has everything you look for in a leader for your team.

Man, I forgot about the 01 Canes. The 16 starters I think it was that made it to the NFL all had brilliant careers. Okay, other than them I feel the Ducks were the most offensively gifted team of the 2000s. As much as I like Vince Young, I don't think that team was up to the same level as UO.

Jacory is a very thin guy too, he is built similarly. Terrelle Pryor and a few other guys (like Colt McCoy too I guess) will probably have a better chance at racking up the stats, but Jacory is the closest thing to Dennis I think. Tyrod Taylor's impressive too.

Oh, we have a guy that was supposed to be a redshirt freshman QB last year, we had to play him against Boise State after the other 2 QBs ahead of him got injured, but he's supposedly going to redshirt this year again. Darren Thomas, remember that name. He's got a better arm than Dennis, and he's faster. I can see him being the leader of the Ducks after this year until he graduates and leaves for the NFL.

Edited by The Garbage Man

Man, I forgot about the 01 Canes. The 16 starters I think it was that made it to the NFL all had brilliant careers. Okay, other than them I feel the Ducks were the most offensively gifted team of the 2000s. As much as I like Vince Young, I don't think that team was up to the same level as UO.

The Ducks team was up there but VY is one of the greatest college QB's ever. That team also had Sweed who dominated at the college level.

Jacory is a very thin guy too, he is built similarly. Terrelle Pryor and a few other guys (like Colt McCoy too I guess) will probably have a better chance at racking up the stats, but Jacory is the closest thing to Dennis I think. Tyrod Taylor's impressive too.

Yeah J12 is thin but he's added a lot of weight since getting to UM. Terrelle Pryor needs to learn how to throw like a man and ditch the limp wristed motion he's got. Once he does that then yeah he'll be great. McCoy is just a stud but Tyrod Taylor is complete trash. The definition of overhyped is the entire Virginia Tech program.

Oh, we have a guy that was supposed to be a redshirt freshman QB last year, we had to play him against Boise State after the other 2 QBs ahead of him got injured, but he's supposedly going to redshirt this year again. Darren Thomas, remember that name. He's got a better arm than Dennis, and he's faster. I can see him being the leader of the Ducks after this year until he graduates and leaves for the NFL.

Sounds interesting. I know you guys were very high on Tahj Boyd last year before he chose Clemson.

• 4 weeks later...

http://theninecommandments.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/harris.jpg

:D

Hell yeah. I'm ready to whoop that FSU [expletive] on Monday night.

http://www.thepraguespring.com/spence33.gif

http://www.thepraguespring.com/spence2.gif

http://www.thepraguespring.com/benjaminjuke.gif