Rajon Rondo Without the Big Three

How do you think Rondo will play without the big three, whenever it is that they decide to retire or regress to the point where they are no longer starting calibre players and need to take a backseat/bench role? Does he have the ability to become the focal point of the Celtics and the player that they rebuild around, or would the Celtics need to get lucky in the draft to find a new franchise player?

Basically, do you think that Rondo will be able to handle the role, pressure and expectations that come with being the Celtics franchise player? What do you expect of him when the reigns are fully handed over to him?

No, not at all. He's not a franchise player in the least. I don't think he'll keep playing the way he's been playing once the big three part. I've never been a Rondo fan, never understood the Rondo hype, and have always been one to doubt his game without the big three. I think he's one of the most overrated players in the entire league.

No. He has had three hall of fame players with him just about all his starting carear when you take those threats off the floor it is a dramatic change. I believe we will see a huge change is his stat line when the big three move on. He will still be productive but not close to the extent we see him be at today.

He is the equivalent of a guy like Perkins just at the point guard spot. Really useful player, but he is really one dimensional... if he can expand his offensive game, then we might be talking... it's actually scary how good he could be if he had a more versatile offensive arsenal.

People underrate Rondo a helluva lot. He's not a franchise player (at least until he develops his jumper), but neither are guys like Westbrook, Ellis, etc... Yes, he does have the players around him right now that maximize his abilities, but he still is a very elite playmaker, great finisher around the rim, and a very good rebounder and defender for his position. All of those things will translate no matter what team he is on, although he's obviously in a tremendous position on a team suited for his talents. However, his teammates don't make him the player he is, he does.

• Like 3

Love hearing people say his productivity on the court will decrease. People love to use the Big Three argument against him, but the fact is, for the past two years he's been the reason for the Celtics success. If it's not for him, they wouldn't have gotten to the Finals two seasons ago.

And he's far from a one dimensional player..

Love hearing people say his productivity on the court will decrease. People love to use the Big Three argument against him, but the fact is, for the past two years he's been the reason for the Celtics success. If it's not for him, they wouldn't have gotten to the Finals two seasons ago.

And he's far from a one dimensional player..

No one is disagreeing from the fact that without him they wouldnt have been able to reach the finals but we all are saying is that without the big three he wouldnt be putting up the numbers he is today. Having Ray and PP to kickout to and KG to feed in the post is more than a luxury.

No one is disagreeing from the fact that without him they wouldnt have been able to reach the finals but we all are saying is that without the big three he wouldnt be putting up the numbers he is today. Having Ray and PP to kickout to and KG to feed in the post is more than a luxury.

I agree, but my whole side of the argument is that without Rondo, the big three would not be as successful and productive on offense. He's a leader, his basketball IQ is off the charts, and he's one of the best passers in the league. Like every PG, they need weapons around him. When the big three retires, I'm sure Danny will go spending money in FA (they will have a lot of it), to keep Rondo happy. His job is to facilitate and play stellar defense, you put him on another team and he's bound to make an impact.

I agree, but my whole side of the argument is that without Rondo, the big three would not be as successful and productive on offense. He's a leader, his basketball IQ is off the charts, and he's one of the best passers in the league. Like every PG, they need weapons around him. When the big three retires, I'm sure Danny will go spending money in FA (they will have a lot of it), to keep Rondo happy. His job is to facilitate and play stellar defense, you put him on another team and he's bound to make an impact.

Honestly I think he is nothing more than a solid role player. The big three have made him seem like a great leader and very smart. The way I see it untill we see him play with out them he is nothing more than a guy who plays his part very well. We wll know who the vocal leader is on the floor, we all know who the cool/calm minded leader is on the floor and we all know who the quite leader is for them. I just dont see where Rondo fits in as a leader? Then comes the question about his IQ, yes he is an excellent passer but right now he is passing to players that are always at the right place and the right time. I cant begin to think how many traveling calls he would have if players like Ray and Pierce were not playing smart everytime down the floor getting to the perfect spot. Imo untill the big three drastically decline or retire he will be nothing more than a very good role player.

Honestly I think he is nothing more than a solid role player. The big three have made him seem like a great leader and very smart. The way I see it untill we see him play with out them he is nothing more than a guy who plays his part very well. We wll know who the vocal leader is on the floor, we all know who the cool/calm minded leader is on the floor and we all know who the quite leader is for them. I just dont see where Rondo fits in as a leader? Then comes the question about his IQ, yes he is an excellent passer but right now he is passing to players that are always at the right place and the right time. I cant begin to think how many traveling calls he would have if players like Ray and Pierce were not playing smart everytime down the floor getting to the perfect spot. Imo untill the big three drastically decline or retire he will be nothing more than a very good role player.

I'm honestly baffled as to why people think Rondo is simply a product of the team he's on. Is it not obvious, from watching him play that he's actually an All Star quality player, regardless of his teammates?

Some of us are so obsessed with individual achievements that playing in a winning environment is nothing but an indictment. Eventually he'll have to play without Pierce, Allen, and Garnett, will he win then? Probably not, because nobody can win without great teammates.

He's not a product of his teammates or system, but more a product of circumstances. I can't stress this enough. Allen doesn't have to create for others, Pierce doesn't have to carry the load on offense, and Garnett doesn't have to do everything on the defensive end, similarly, Rondo doesn't have to score and has the freedom to egregiously gun for the assist record. He fits in perfectly with what Doc is trying to establish (or better yet, already has established), and in turn, makes Boston a more well rounded team. They're simply a team greater than the sum of its parts, much like the situation Billups fell into back in '06, or even Garnett in '08.

IQ isn't all about passing, it's all of the intangibles he displays on the court. I'm not sure how his IQ is even in question. And lmao about him not being a leader, did you not watch him in the playoffs the past 3 years? He constantly elevates his play in the postseason, but due to him being injured this past postseason, people believe he isn't the player some think he is.