MVP and Cy Young Races

Cobb

AL MVP: Jose Bautista, although Justin Verlander has an excellent case.

NL MVP: Justin Upton

AL CY: Justin Verlander

NL CY: Roy Halladay, with Clayton Kershaw in a close second

Who do you have as of today for both leagues?

I know Adrian has very good stats, but damn, he has taken a massive shit the second half of the season. I think him and Granderson are the two front-runners, and whichever players team wins the AL East will have a slight edge. Granderson has the edge in HR's without a doubt, but his average is shit.

I just can't see Adrian Gonzalez winning it when two other strong candidates are his teammates.

If it weren't for his struggles against Boston this year, CC is right there in the AL Cy Young race but right now you gotta take Verlander. As for AL MVP I'll take Granderson over Gonzalez and in the NL give me Matt Kemp for MVP and Halladay winning the Cy Young.

I know Adrian has very good stats, but damn, he has taken a massive shit the second half of the season. I think him and Granderson are the two front-runners, and whichever players team wins the AL East will have a slight edge. Granderson has the edge in HR's without a doubt, but his average is shit.

Team performance should have very little, if anything, to do with it.

But unfortunately you are right, and it will be the deciding factor most likely.

Which is why Bautista (who IMO is the biggest slam dunk of any of the four races) will get screwed.

Edited by Phightins

Bautista should win the AL MVP, but I'd bet Granderson will likely end up winning it. It wouldn't surprise me if Bautista doesn't even finish in the top 3 in voting, which would be an absolute joke.

Verlander is a lock for the AL Cy Young.

I'll go with Halladay for the NL Cy Young, but Kershaw is right there with him. Whoever had the best September may very well end up winning it.

For the NL MVP, I'd go with Matt Kemp, but I doubt he wins since the Dodgers have a poor record.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The more I think about it, the more awesome I think it would be if Kershaw and Kemp both win. It would hopefully be a huge step towards eliminating team performance from consideration with these awards (which is how it should be most of the time IMO).

How can you not give it to Kemp and Kershaw? Any other votes would just be plain ignorant imo. Kemp is on the verge of a triple crown, with 40 stolen bases!

Kershaw has a 2.27 ERA, and a WHIP under 1. With 240+ strikeouts! Im not a Dodgers fan but I'd be pretty pissed if I was and these two didn't win the awards. East coast bias really sucks.

How can you not give it to Kemp and Kershaw? Any other votes would just be plain ignorant imo. Kemp is on the verge of a triple crown, with 40 stolen bases!

Kershaw has a 2.27 ERA, and a WHIP under 1. With 240+ strikeouts! Im not a Dodgers fan but I'd be pretty pissed if I was and these two didn't win the awards. East coast bias really sucks.

Halladay and Lee are right on par with Kershaw and Braun is right on par with Kemp.

Numbers have no bias.

Halladay and Lee are right on par with Kershaw and Braun is right on par with Kemp.

Numbers have no bias.

Kershaw has a better ERA, WHIP, more wins and more strikeouts, then both Lee or Halladay. :mellow:

Kemp has 5 more home runs, 12 more RBI, 9 more stolen bases, and his OPS is higher then Braun.

Kershaw has a better ERA, WHIP, more wins and more strikeouts, then both Lee or Halladay. :mellow:

Kemp has 5 more home runs, 12 more RBI, 9 more stolen bases, and his OPS is higher then Braun.

Did you seriously just reference RBIs?

Anyway, with the pitchers, when you consider park factor (entirely relevant, since Dodger Stadium is absolutely massive compared to Citizens Bank Park), Halladay is actually far ahead of Kershaw. 1.2 WAR better, superior adjusted ERA. This isn't entirely surprising since Halladay has almost 20 fewer walks...

But of course, the majority of the BBWAA guys with a vote do not know the first thing about advanced stats. So Kershaw probably still wins, and deservedly so. But for you to say it's a landslide is laughable since the numbers actually show Halladay has been better.