Convincing Deron Williams to Stay

What do you think the Nets need to do in order to convince Deron to sign an extension and stay long term with the franchise?

The Nets rolled the dice last season by trading for Williams despite the fact that he could become a free agent this upcoming offseason and he had not agreed to sign a contract extension upon arrival in New Jersey. He wanted out of Utah because he felt that he could not win there, but the Jazz were clearly closer to winning a championship than New Jesery is, so I definitely think that if the Nets want to keep Williams around they are going to have to show some substantial improvement by the time he hits free agency.

So what do you believe the Nets need to do to keep Deron around?

• Owner

Sadly, they should ask Deron. This gives him a feeling that he's their long-term franchise player (although he should already know that, it's best to try and solidify it), and it also assures Williams that the Nets are doing whatever it takes to build a championship contender around him, for him, and for the fans.

It helps that you have an owner like Prokhorov, who would stick Deron and his family on a yacht for a few days with the snap of a finger, and do anything to keep him around.

If we're talking what the team needs...well, they need a second scorer and some beef up front. Is Lopez good enough up front? Personally, I don't think so, but that's something for Mikhail to explore. Everyone is excited about the Nets getting Brooks in the draft, and that's because they think Brooks can become an all-star scorer. Makes sense that they could use one, just looking at their roster. While D-Will can put the ball in the hoop, he does wonders running an offense, and the Nets have to stick teammates around him that can be effective on the offensive end.

It is definitely going to take another super star because just look at the Knicks 2010 offseason. Despite being the Knicks and all of our assets we didn't get first second or third place in that off season. Since then Amar'e has gotten us one of the top players in the NBA. So I don't see a top 10-15 quality player in his prime staying anywhere where his next best option is Brook Lopez, especially with all this talk of super teams.

Sadly, they should ask Deron. This gives him a feeling that he's their long-term franchise player (although he should already know that, it's best to try and solidify it), and it also assures Williams that the Nets are doing whatever it takes to build a championship contender around him, for him, and for the fans.

Pre-lockout, King was texting him regularly about who to pursue.

The Nets are making him feel important in every which way. They've put him up on billboards (one even in Times Square), they gave him one of the earliest tours of the Barclays Center construction site, and they're giving him a huge say in the FO moves.

I feel like people are really overlooking the importance of the Brooklyn move. Deron has also given plenty of positive indications about his happiness with the team. He displayed the Times Square "Bound for Brooklyn" billboard on his website and posted this.

I like this organization a lot. I like the direction they’re going. They made me and my family feel real comfortable since I’ve gotten here.

I like Coach (Avery) Johnson — the way he coaches and the way he carries himself. I definitely can see myself staying here.

Pre-lockout, King was texting him regularly about who to pursue.

The Nets are making him feel important in every which way. They've put him up on billboards (one even in Times Square), they gave him one of the earliest tours of the Barclays Center construction site, and they're giving him a huge say in the FO moves.

I feel like people are really overlooking the importance of the Brooklyn move. Deron has also given plenty of positive indications about his happiness with the team. He displayed the Times Square "Bound for Brooklyn" billboard on his website and posted this.

Talk is cheap sir...

Not when you go out of your way to say it, sir.

Still, there are plenty of examples in the past where players said one thing and did something completely opposite when they actually hit free agency.

Just look at LeBron's comments about never leaving until he brings a ring to Cleveland, Bosh's comments about how he wants to be considered "the man" only to go to a team where he was the third option and, quite frankly, an afterthought, etc...

I'm not saying that Williams will be like many other pro athletes in the past, but I wouldn't exactly take him saying positive things about the city or organization as a sign that he will stay long term. It actually wouldn't sway my opinion of whether or not he would stay one way or another.

Still, there are plenty of examples in the past where players said one thing and did something completely opposite when they actually hit free agency.

Just look at LeBron's comments about never leaving until he brings a ring to Cleveland, Bosh's comments about how he wants to be considered "the man" only to go to a team where he was the third option and, quite frankly, an afterthought, etc...

I'm not saying that Williams will be like many other pro athletes in the past, but I wouldn't exactly take him saying positive things about the city or organization as a sign that he will stay long term. It actually wouldn't sway my opinion of whether or not he would stay one way or another.

Of course but that is the negative way of thinking. I can only see positives about it until he's playing in another NBA jersey.

I see what you're saying, but I'm saying that considering the factors that motivated Deron to make those comments. For one, the opportunity to open up Brooklyn in a billion dollar arena is something very tough to walk away from. The Nets would probably dare Deron to walk away from the Barclays Center rather than trade him. Plus, the Nets had been keeping constant contact with him to find out who he wanted them to pursue. He has an owner that is willing to spend. And while a failure in bringing Dwight may further raise the question of whether he would leave, I still don't see a whole lot of other options that are offering a better situation than the Nets.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that he is leaving, he is a liar or anything like that. I completely see why he would want to stay with the team considering the circumstances around the move to Brooklyn, the willingness of Prokhorov to spend and the whole CBA thing up in the air.

I'm just saying that just because a guy says one thing doesn't mean he is going to do it. There have been way too many cases of professional athletes saying one thing and doing the opposite when he becomes a free agent.

For me, him saying all of this stuff wouldn't make me think he is more likely to stay or leave. It is just another case of an athlete doing the politically correct thing.

• 1 month later...