How far does Dallas go without Tyson Chandler?

Real Deal

• Owner

The man was a legitimate defensive anchor, and we haven't seen a Maverick defense so complete in years.

Do the Mavericks get to the 2011 Finals without him?

Do they sweep the Lakers, win in a close series, or lose?

I don't know it seems like Tyson Chandler has changed this Dallas Mavericks team. He got them tougher, better defensively and more energetic. I feel like without him, they would have a chance to still make it far because Dirk was balling out of control BUT Tyson really helped them go all the way and I think Heat would have a ring if Tyson wasn't there.

Without Chandler they wouldn't have gotten past Portland. They would have been the same old Dallas team that makes the playoffs but fails to make any significant noise. Chandler would clog the paint with his aggressive shot blocking playing style and with the other 4 guys knowing that the paint was covered would step up and play tight on everyone. He is the reason they won the title without him it would not have been possible.

I agree with ballorama. We would have only beat Portland, and that one would have been 7. But as for the Lakers, Thunder and Heat. Negative. We do need to resign him if we have ANY chance of repeating.

You probably wouldn't have beaten Portland without Chandler. You gotta remember, Portland was the only other team to hand Dallas 2 losses in the post season WITH Chandler. If they didn't have Chandler, LaMarcus would have torn up the Mavs. With Roy coming back (still wasn't the old Roy but did win us a game) and us having Wallace...I don't see how Dallas could have beaten Portland in the first round. Chandler is the Dallas defense.

You probably wouldn't have beaten Portland without Chandler. You gotta remember, Portland was the only other team to hand Dallas 2 losses in the post season WITH Chandler. If they didn't have Chandler, LaMarcus would have torn up the Mavs. With Roy coming back (still wasn't the old Roy but did win us a game) and us having Wallace...I don't see how Dallas could have beaten Portland in the first round. Chandler is the Dallas defense.

but roy and wallace was a non factor really (minus roy's comeback game)

• Owner

I think Dallas beats both Portland AND Los Angeles without Chandler.

I watched both series, but obviously, I was checking out the LA/DAL series closest, and I'll just put it this way: it wasn't Dallas' defense that beat us, it was our lack of defense + Dallas going ballistic from three. Dirk also went off, but he wasn't the biggest problem.

And I can't sit here and say that Chandler WAS the defense in Dallas. I can say he was the most important part of the defense...but Marion and Kidd were huge in their efforts as well, and very underrated in the NBA Finals.

Portland probably loses that series in seven. The Lakers lose in five. As painful as it is to say, LA doesn't beat any playoff team in the West last season, with the exception of the Hornets. Bryant was on one leg (actually having the surgery after he told us he probably wouldn't), Gasol was in Spain or Pluto (take your pick), Ron was in Hollywood with Odom and Khloe, and the rest of the team didn't amount to anything, either.

but roy and wallace was a non factor really (minus roy's comeback game)

Roy didn't really play as much as he should have during the post season, with the exception of the comeback game. If he had played the minutes he should have played, he would have been a much bigger factor.

Roy didn't really play as much as he should have during the post season, with the exception of the comeback game. If he had played the minutes he should have played, he would have been a much bigger factor.

I agree. Didn't mcmillan at one point only play him for like 10 minutes in a game?

Honestly, I think they still get to the Finals but end up losing to the Heat as LeBron and Wade (and even Bosh) would've gotten too many easy baskets without him providing the help for the perimeter guys or just him not being there to guard Bosh.

They definitely still get past Portland and LA (especially LA as they looked completely outmatched in that series) at the very least. Maybe OKC knocks them off, but I still think that the Mavs without Chandler could've taken that series based on the way Dirk played and the fact that the Thunder's inexperience hurt them as much as anything in that series, and taking Chandler away doesn't make their lack of execution down the stretch any better.

They don't win the NBA Championship without Chandler, but I think it is very reasonable to think that they still could've made it to the NBA Finals.

• Owner

I'm just curious, but who stops LaMarcus Aldridge on Dallas? Certainly not Brendan Heywood or Dirka Dirka...

Aldridge's best games came against a Dallas team with both Chandler AND Dirk in the regular season. The two worst games he had (out of the four vs. Dallas), Chandler didn't play one of them, and Dirk didn't play the other (and Dallas actually won that game).

Without Chandler, Dallas would just use Dirk's length to disrupt his jumpers, but Marion would be playing the four every now and then, and Marion is a problem for a lot of PF's, including Aldridge.