MLB Offseason Thread 2011-12

fish7718

not really...but k

Obviously there are a few exceptions (Reyes, Wright). But Pelfrey, Humber, Gomez, and Martinez (probably a few more I can't think of right now) were all given way too much hype. I guess it's because of the NY media.

But hey at least you guys turned two of those guys into Johan.

you forgot Milledge and Alex Escobar :P

Ike Davis, Scott Kazmir pre-injuries, Daniel Murphy all panned out and obv the NY media over rates all prospects look at all the Yankees prospects who didn't pan out, okay Michael Taylor, Carlos Corrasco, Kyle Drabek etc.

you forgot Milledge and Alex Escobar :P

Ike Davis, Scott Kazmir pre-injuries, Daniel Murphy all panned out and obv the NY media over rates all prospects look at all the Yankees prospects who didn't pan out, okay Michael Taylor, Carlos Corrasco, Kyle Drabek etc.

Taylor, Carrasco, and Drabek turned into Roy Halladay and Cliff Lee, so I am not complaining! :)

And BTW Drabek is still going to be filthy, although losing Travis D'Arnaud was the worst part of that trade...

Pineda is pretty damn awesome. Didn't realize he had such a big fly ball rate though. May be an issue. Montero is probably devastated too....going from Yankee Stadium to Safeco is probably the worst move a RH batter can make.

Edited by Phightins

I will never understand this idiotic emphasis on pitching every year. I'm heartbroken, but who knows how this will turn out value-wise.

Sent from my HTC on the Now Network from Sprint.

Pitching wins championships, it's not idiotic at all..

Meh...I feel like this is outdated honestly. My 2011 Phillies are unfortunately the prime example :(.

You can only put a bunch of good pitchers together and hope, the Giants winning in 2010 I feel backs it up perfectly...

You can only put a bunch of good pitchers together and hope, the Giants winning in 2010 I feel backs it up perfectly...

It certainly helps in the regular season, but you need a perfect storm of things going right in order to win in October. Most talented team doesn't always win. Most of the time it doesn't win, actually.

It certainly helps in the regular season, but you need a perfect storm of things going right in order to win in October. Most talented team doesn't always win. Most of the time it doesn't win, actually.

Of course not MLB playoffs is all about who's hot, kinda stupid but it's all luck. However it always helps to be the most talented...

Pitching wins championships, it's not idiotic at all..

Here's why I disagree with the trade...

1) I agree that pitching wins championships. But whether or not that's truly the case, I wasn't thrilled that pitching was our primary concern heading into this offseason. Our pitching is fine. Sabathia, Nova, and Garcia were in there. Burnett pitched extremely well in his final three or four games last season, and unless he gets dealt, he's in the rotation. The remaining one or two are open for Hughes, Phelps, and Warren. Down the road, you have Betances and Banuelos. Why address something that is basically covered?

2) Pineda is a monster... #2 starter in his rookie year. That doesn't eliminate all risk involved, though. He's moving from a pitcher-friendly ballpark in Seattle to a hitter-friendly one in New York.

3) I'm sure you know this about our offense (the playoffs summarized it perfectly), but we had some monstrous offensive performances, and then we also had games where we were just awful trying to get runs across. I still view that as a concern, and I felt like Montero was key to us in that DH slot. It's now a vacancy (signing Fielder suddenly became a possibility, though you can start questioning if he want to spend much more than we already are). Tex, A-Rod, and Jeter will be in the slot more frequently, but I basically feel like having Montero in our lineup was more crucial than Pineda down the stretch.

I would not have done this deal, but at the same time, I believe we can very well be thrilled with it down the road. I am heartbroken to see Jesus go, but hey, Sabathia, Kuroda, Pineda, and Nova sounds amazing. So maybe I'm overreacting.

Edited by Brooklyn Bound

Counting on Nova to be a #2 and Garcia to be a #3 is very silly to me. They both had good years last year but both are very risky. Nova had a 1.33 WHIP last year and the way pitchers are I wouldn't be surprised to see him fall of and I'd be shocked if Jamie Garcia has anywhere near the type of success he had last season. Also what if pitchers go down with injuries? If Sabathia is out for an extended period of time that rotation is shot. The Yankees strength is that line up. It got beat by a dominant pitching staff in the post season last year but you can still make the argument the Yankees have the strongest line up in MLB. I see no reason to waste Montero who is 21 and unproven in the DH slot when you can fill it will a solid hitter and go and add depth to a very weak rotation, imo.I know the Yankees pitched well last year but I just can't seeing those guys repeat what they did.

Now that I'm thinking about it I really am starting to dislike this trade for the Yankees, and it's got nothing to do with how good the team is. Here you got this top 5, top 3 prospect in Jesus Montero and the Yankees have been shooting down trades left and right with his name in it. Seems like the Yankees are going to get what back to made them great in the 90's and that's bringing up some great guys through the farm and bam they trade him out of nowhere for, don't get me wrong another great prospect, but for a pitching prospects. Pitching prospects are so risky even after they have 1 or 2 years under their belt. Just annoys me that it finally looked like the Yankees were doing the right thing with one of their guys and traded him...still it improves the team...