New Podcast Host

Real Deal

• Owner

http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/user/898-spexs

He's a friend of mine, Zach Mitchell, who will eventually host our podcast. He's majoring in communications, and he also does play-by-play at our Red Ravens community college games (we are ranked #2 JUCO in the nation, by the way...haha).

The guy knows his basketball, NBA and college...and he also has football and baseball knowledge. He's a fan of the Kansas Jayhawks, Oklahoma City Thunder, Chicago Bulls, and Larry Bird.

My plan is...I want to start him off with an intro podcast, to get to know him better, with YOUR questions regarding the sport. As we progress, I'll be co-hosting with him, and hopefully, we can invite a few of you on via Skype (or whatever it takes).

So, for the first run...leave 2-3 questions in this topic for him to answer, concerning college and NBA, and we'll see how this turns out for us.

Awesome idea. Maybe even record a video of him answering questions and put the videos up on Youtube.

1. Is there any current college basketball coach that can one day match Krzyzewski's win total?

2. Who is more to blame for the lockout; players or owners?

1. Do you believe the NBA will bounce back in terms of fan popularity once the lockout is lifted, or will we see a huge drop off in TV ratings and fan attendance?

2. What are your expectations for James Harden moving forward? Given his play in the playoffs last year, we saw how valuable he is as a playmaker, what exactly is his ceiling (All Star, starter, sixth man)?

3. How do you think Thomas Robinson fairs this year for Kansas? Last season we saw his effectiveness coming off the bench, he was able to "go all out" for 15 or so mpg, but now he is the center of attention and will need to produce big if Kansas wants to compete for a title.

1. I've noticed a lot of NBA fans (myself included) have a hard time getting into college basketball. Why do you think that is?

2. Do you think that missing an entire year of basketball will hurt the Thunder in terms of development and team chemistry?

Welcome to OTR, Zach. :dribble:

1. How good do you think the combo of Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson could be for the Cavaliers 5 years down the road?

2. How good you think Jared Sullinger will be in the league? Who do you think he compares to in the league right now?

3. I know it's early, but March will be here before we know it. Give me your early Final Four, Championship teams, and eventual Champion in college basketball.

1. With the economic struggles many NBA stadiums were already having, how long do you think it would take for the NBA to recover if the whole season is lost?

2. It is obviously that many older stars like Kobe, Duncan, and Bostons big 3 could use the rest that a shortened NBA season could bring to both their minds and bodies, but if the whole season is lost does it become to much rest? if so how big of an impact can to much rest have on these players?

Hey guys, thanks for the positive greetings! In case you were wondering or just confused I am in fact, Zach new host of the future award winning OTR podcast. When we get started I'll be able to answer all questions, but as for right now I'd like to dish out a few quick thoughts on a few questions that caught my eye.

1. I believe James Harden will win Most Improved Player. By all accounts he has been great this summer. I know it's just pick up ball, but with another weapon on offense, the thunder will probably push the pace even more than last year, which will fit right into his wheelhouse. Also, this will surprisingly help Westbrook out, since Harden will be running the offense, leaving westbrook to do his stuff, i.e play terrific defense and make amazingly athletic plays.

2. I beleive teams that employ mostly older stars will be fine, since all they have to do is make the playoffs, then its all even. extra rest never hurt anyone. One subpoint is that this actually gives Ray Allen more time to work with Rondo on his shot more. if you're a celtic fan, watch out for rondo's perimeter percentages to improve.

3. Robinson(for KU) will be just fine. We saw in the Kentucky game that not only was he the best player in the game, he simply looks like an NBA player. He made NBA moves in that game, against NBA talent, and harnesses nba athleticism. the only thing holding him back are the guards (who need to grow up quickly) and foul trouble. He still plays so fast that he picked up 2 lame fouls, taking him out of the game. This KU team has older players, but together they are a young team that will grow up. still if ku gets to the sweet 16 it's because he averaged 18 and 10.

Sorry for the double post, but I've got a few more answers:

1. I think cleveland blew this draft. irving will never make an allstar game. could he start for a champoinship team someday? yes, but he will never be a great player. As a big 12 fan, tristan thompson never blew me away. that was a stat pick. in a game to 21, who would win: Derrick Williams and Brandon Knight, or Irving and thompson? i'd take williams and knight everytime.

2. Sullinger will deffinately win a title. he is not a top 5 pick though. His comp is to david west, who is good enough that if he hadn't of gone down last season, the hornets might have made some noise. Sullinger is a winner though.

• Owner

Haha, the dude showed up unexpectedly!

I think I may have told him to answer the questions here, then came on here and I said he would answer them in a podcast. My fault, everyone.

So, this will be a "get to know" session, which is basically what we used to do for most of our members, haha.

3. Robinson(for KU) will be just fine. We saw in the Kentucky game that not only was he the best player in the game, he simply looks like an NBA player.

You mean for Kansas, right?

He certainly didn't look like the best player on either team in that game. Don't get me wrong, he had a solid game against a very, very talented Kentucky front court, but Anthony Davis was, at least in my opinion, easily the best player in that game. His impact on defense was absolutely huge as every time any Jayhawk got into the paint. I think he had 7 or 8 blocks in that game, and he altered at least another 3-4 of them.

On offense he didn't really get to showcase much of his skillset (such as his playmaking ability, which is excellent for a guy his size, obviously due to his time as a point guard) because he was so effective finding the weak spots of Kansas' defense and converting easy baskets around the rim. Even with him not being able to show much of his offensive game, he was still a pretty significant factor on that end because of his great athleticism and length.

Robinson was good and he impressed me, especially considering how overmatched he was from a length and athleticism standpoint, but Davis was clearly the best player on the floor that night.

Welcome to the site, by the way. :lol:

Hey, to be honest I couldn't help but talk hoops. the podcast isn't up yet so i had to throw out a few thoughts. Yo dude, trust me I've got plenty of ideas for a podcast, and any true fans can come up with basketball questions easy. Plus, i can still expound on those questions in the podcast, so no worries.

when i said kentucky game, i was thinking from a ku fans perspective, sorry bout that.

And yes, i still defend that fact that he was the best player. UK's point guard was terrible. When Robinson and jones went one on one robinson won every time. Gilchrest was bad. And since this is a nba site, i'm projecting towards the nba, and the things robinson did was nba ready.

Anthony davis was very good, but i don't think he's very smart. Every time he took a shot outside the lane, i was think "good!" And ku's guard for some reason thought it would be a good idea to shoot the ball into his armpit. And tall skinny guys who bounce around like that, not a great transition to the nba (randolph, wright). But yea, davis was really good. Robinson just showed offensive moves. He took jones off the dribble of timesand finished with his left hand (he's right handed) and put a couple of good hooks, which he could not do last year.

oh, and thanks for the welcome!

Yea sorry bought that. Irving is going to be good, but he won't ever be better than john wall, derrick rose, derron williams, rondo, or chris paul when he joins the knicks.

So that means the only way he makes an allstar game is if he gets traded, which isn't the point of drafting a guy number 1.

I completely agree about Teague. I thought he looked like complete garbage in that game, and I have not been impressed by him at all. In fact, if you take a glimpse in the game thread I made, you will see that I thought he looked like crap.

As for Davis, I do agree that early on he showed his youth and made questionable decisions, such as those jump shots that you mentioned. I think part of that was due to the fact that this was his first high profile college game, against a prestigous school like Kansas and the game was in Madison Square Garden. He seemed nervous and anxious at the start of the game.

However, as the game progressed and he got his nerves in check and his feet under him, I thought he showed a relatively high IQ for a freshman playing his second college game. He didn't make any glaring mistakes/poor decisions offensively (aside from those questionable jump shots early), he didn't committ any stupid fouls and he was generally always in the right position on the floor, both offensively and defensively. In terms of the two highly projected big men in the 2012 draft (Drummond and Davis) Drummond is the one who doesn't play very smart at times.

I can understand where you are coming from in terms of Robinson looking good, but I just can't say that he looked better than Davis did. I thought Davis was quite easily the best player on the floor in that game, and I wasn't even much of a fan of him and thought he was overhyped coming into Kentucky. His play thus far is making me think twice about that as he looks very impressive thus far (although today, going by his numbers, he didn't look that great).

I think you're a bit too harsh on Kyrie Irving... while I don't expect him to be in the realm of John Wall or Derrick Rose, I think he will be an All Star caliber guard. Obviously he doesn't have elite athleticism, but he's deceptively quick and will be a quality defender at the next level. I was able to watch a lot of Duke basketball last season (as I do every year), and there's no doubt he will live up to being a #1 pick, especially in a relatively weak class. The only player that I believe will out perform him is Derrick Williams.

Welcome to OTR.

1) Do you think Derrick Rose will repeat as the MVP next season, why or why not?

2) Who is your favorite player from the Bulls not named Pippen, Rose, or Jordan and who are your top 5 Bulls of all time?