Portland Close to Waiving Brandon Roy

http://old.tehrantimes.com/News/11042/13_BRANDON%20ROY.jpg

The Portland Trail Blazers appear as though they are very close to parting ways with shooting guard Brandon Roy(notes). Using the new amnesty clause that the NBA approved in the latest collective bargaining agreement, a team can basically take the contract of one player away from counting against the salary cap. It would mean waiving that player, and in this instance the Blazers are ready to move on without Roy on the roster.

Marc Stein took to Twitter on Sunday night (Nov. 27) to state, "Blazer coaches have been advised that using provision to waive Roy is strong possibility. AND … new Minnesota head coach Rick Adelman , I'm told, would have level of interest in signing Roy." That seems to give the strong indication that Roy and the Blazers will soon part ways and allow him to sign with another team as a free agent.

The Blazers waiving Roy would allow the team to pursue free agents both this offseason and the next. His contract would basically come off the books, allowing much more flexibility for the team. Roy is due about $15 million this season and then about $16.4 million in 2012-13 before a player option year for $17.8 million in 2013-14. There is no reason to think that he wouldn't take that option in three years to stay with the Blazers and continue making that much money. It simply gives the front office of the Blazers more initiative to part ways with him now.

Counting the qualifying offers extended to Greg Oden(notes) and Patty Mills(notes) for this season, the Blazers are on the hook for $66.3 million already. If they can take Roy's contract off the table, it would drop the team salaries to just about $51.3 million this year and only about $34.2 million next year. That would push the Blazers way under the salary cap, and potentially make them players in a big free agent class that includes point guard Chris Paul(notes) and center Dwight Howard(notes). With pieces like LaMarcus Aldridge(notes), Gerald Wallace(notes) and Wesley Matthews(notes) still locked up for next year, it could entice one of the big names to come play in the Pacific Northwest.

It will seem very weird when Roy suits up with another franchise for the coming NBA season, especially when he comes to town and lights up the Blazers for 20-25 points. This is the way a business goes sometimes though, and Roy's fans are going to get very frustrated when the news breaks that he is getting waived .

----

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-10543051

Wouldn't trading him Be a better option? I'm sure the market for him is quite big.

At the price tag of something like $70M over the next 4 years?

The market for him at that price is sure to be non-existent, given his declining play, injury prone nature and him having basically nothing left in both of his knees.

However, the market for him at, say, $5M or so, which is what I imagine the likely amount somebody would big on him when he gets cut, is sure to be large. The Blazers would still be on the hook for a huge amount of money, but at least they clear his cap hit and save some money.

I realize that Roy did a lot for that team, but it only makes sense to cut him. His contract could already be considered a crippling one, could you imagine what it is like in years 3 and 4 when his knees deteriorate even more and he is making nearly $20M annually? The Blazers need to do what is best for their franchise, and that means cutting him, unless they can sucker some moron GM into taking on the entire contract, but even if that is the case, I highly doubt you are getting much value in return for him. You are likely going to just be exchaning one bad contract for 1-3 bad contracts.

At the price tag of something like $70M over the next 4 years?

The market for him at that price is sure to be non-existent, given his declining play, injury prone nature and him having basically nothing left in both of his knees.

However, the market for him at, say, $5M or so, which is what I imagine the likely amount somebody would big on him when he gets cut, is sure to be large. The Blazers would still be on the hook for a huge amount of money, but at least they clear his cap hit and save some money.

I realize that Roy did a lot for that team, but it only makes sense to cut him. His contract could already be considered a crippling one, could you imagine what it is like in years 3 and 4 when his knees deteriorate even more and he is making nearly $20M annually? The Blazers need to do what is best for their franchise, and that means cutting him, unless they can sucker some moron GM into taking on the entire contract, but even if that is the case, I highly doubt you are getting much value in return for him. You are likely going to just be exchaning one bad contract for 1-3 bad contracts.

As much as I'd love for us to keep him there's just no way of that happening. He's making way too much. Plus I'm ok with them doing it now so they can have a chance at landing paul, d will, or even howard. It will really suck though if he goes to the wolves like it says cause he'd still be in the division and we'd have to deal with him more often.

Anyone think maybe he'd draw interest from the bulls? If he's even at 75% I think he's better than bogans or korver.

The Bulls wouldn't be able to bid on him, though. Only teams that are under the cap can bid on players who get cut, and they can't exceed the cap when bidding on these players.

So unless the Bulls dump some salary elsewhere, they likely won't have enough cap room to be able to outbid a team like Minnesota for Roy.

If they can find a way to make it work, I have full confidence that he would draw a lot of interest from the Bulls, though.

I can't find the link but I remember passing over a tweet that Minnesota/Adelman would be interested in Roy.

I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the teams under the cap would be interested in Roy when he is cut. Somebody is going to take a chance on him at a discounted price and hope that he can become about 75-80% of what he used to be.

Since the Wolves owe the Clippers their 1st round pick, and it is unprotected, I'd be absolutely shocked if they didn't make a strong push for the likes of Roy or Rashard Lewis (if they are cut) in hopes of them regaining their form. They might as well take a risk like that considering they don't own their 1st this year anyways.

I’m going insane thinking about all these [expletive]ing rumors that we might cut Brandon Roy from the team…I will die a little lot inside…He’s still got plenty of game left in him.

If Paul Allen decides to cut Roy…Portland will riot. Our fan base is just insane, so many people are behind Roy. He’s carried our team for so long, dug us out of the Jail Blazers era, turned us from league embarrassment to guaranteed playoffs every year. He put the team on his back, put his heart and soul into the team…and this is how we’re going to thank him?

I understand the NBA is a business, but come on. He’s the face of the city of Portland, not just the Blazers. When you have one of the NBA’s best EVER (Kobe Bryant) saying that “Brandon Roy is the hardest player to guard, and that there are NO weaknesses to his game”, that’s something special.

I just don’t know what I’m going to do if Roy is cut from the Blazers…it’ll be one of the saddest days in Trail Blazer history if it happens.

I’m going insane thinking about all these [expletive]ing rumors that we might cut Brandon Roy from the team…I will die a little lot inside…He’s still got plenty of game left in him.

If Paul Allen decides to cut Roy…Portland will riot. Our fan base is just insane, so many people are behind Roy. He’s carried our team for so long, dug us out of the Jail Blazers era, turned us from league embarrassment to guaranteed playoffs every year. He put the team on his back, put his heart and soul into the team…and this is how we’re going to thank him?

I understand the NBA is a business, but come on. He’s the face of the city of Portland, not just the Blazers. When you have one of the NBA’s best EVER (Kobe Bryant) saying that “Brandon Roy is the hardest player to guard, and that there are NO weaknesses to his game”, that’s something special.

I just don’t know what I’m going to do if Roy is cut from the Blazers…it’ll be one of the saddest days in Trail Blazer history if it happens.

I get that a sucks to lose him but his contract could hold your team back for years, better to get rid of him now and use the flexibility to add new players.

No, I totally understand it...I just think we should hold off on it instead of making a decision so quickly. Keep him this year, if he doesn't work out, cut him next year. We don't have to use the amnesty clause right away. We could use it 3 years from now if we wanted to. I guess what I was getting at, but failed to say so in my previous post, is that I don't want to cut Roy right now. Give him an opportunity to prove himself, to see if he still has anything left in the tank, which I know he does. He can still provide 17-19 a game, easily.

If it doesn't work out this year, then sure...make that business decision and cut him. It's just hearing all these rumors that they want to be done with him right now and not even give him a shot....is what's pissing me off. We have so many options here...just gotta really think about it instead of going for it right away.

• Like 1

Blazers president Larry Miller adamantly denied a report from John Canzano of the Oregonian that the team has decided to use the amnesty clause on Brandon Roy.

"We have not, and regardless of what's been said by John Canzano and others out there, (made a) decision on amnesty as of yet," Miller said.

Miller said interim general manager Chad Buchanan called Roy's agent at 6 a.m. this morning to arrange a meeting with Roy.

"With everything that Brandon has done for this organization, there's no way we would make a decision like that without having conversation with him, without evaluating where he is," Miller said.

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/216873/Blazers_Reach_Out_To_Roys_Agent_No_Decision_Reached_On_Amnesty#ixzz1fFvYBt5S

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/216873/Blazers_Reach_Out_To_Roys_Agent_No_Decision_Reached_On_Amnesty

Blazers president Larry Miller said Thursday that it would be easier to keep Brandon Roy if he was willing to accept a lesser role.

"If Brandon were to accept mentally that 'I'm not that guy anymore, but I will do whatever I can to help the team,' it would make it easier to keep him around," Miller said. That could prove to be a tough sell for Roy, who complained publicly about playing time despite the obvious truth that he was a mere fraction of the player he once was. Even if Roy is to stay in Portland, he will not cut into the minutes of Wesley Matthews or Nicolas Batum much, if at all.

http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2011/12/blazers_insider_the_brandon_ro.html

• Owner

Cut him, we'll cut Mike Miller and we can call it a day.

If Miami wants Roy, they will need to cut Wade, LeBron or Bosh.

------

What I would like to see happen is Brandon Roy telling Portland that he won't take the massive player option in 2013, unless he hits certain numbers in his game (conditionals). That way, Portland can give him two years of what...$30 million or so...and then get rid of him on his own terms, the team and player parting ways and being friends for life!

But yeah, this is the NBA, and I doubt that would be the case, no matter how nice Roy is.

I think Portland should hold out for just one season. They can waive him this summer, and have a shot at Howard (and by that time, Oden will be expired, assuming they will match any offer sheet coming up...giving him a one-year deal and unrestricted free agency afterwards).

It would work out better that way, in my opinion.

• Like 1