Valentine gets Red Sox job

Sportsguy9695

Bobby Valentine will become the 45th manager of the Boston Red Sox, sources close to the situation said Tuesday night.Valentine, who has been in Japan on personal business and was offered the Red Sox job there, was scheduled to board a flight at around noon Wednesday in Tokyo (Tuesday night at midnight ET) and be in back in Boston by midafternoon. He was one of two finalists for the job, the other being Gene Lamont, a two-time manager currently serving as third-base coach for the Detroit Tigers.Lamont said in a text message Tuesday night, after ESPN had reported that he was no longer under consideration for the job, that he had not yet heard from the Red Sox."He's got it. I just spoke to him a little while ago," Hall of Famer Tommy Lasorda, who managed Valentine in the minors with the Los Angeles Dodgers, said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press.The club had no comment, spokesperson Pam Ganley told The AP. Valentine also sent the AP a text message at 9:48 p.m. Tuesday saying he had no comment on "the Red Sox situation."

Source: ESPN

Don't worry, NESPN will be sure to leave Schilling, Garciaparra, and Dave O'Brien as the announcers for all Yankees-Sox games!

I am actually hoping they get Terry Francona. I was super impressed with him when he filled in for McCarver in the ALCS.