Woj: Lakers close to sending Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom for Chris Paul

Dash

I still can't believe this bullshit. It's ridiculous that they did this...The trade was pretty fair; god forbid the Hornets get something for Paul. He's gonna bounce in 66 games anyway!!

It's time for Amar'e to be sent to N.O. for Paul. Love Amar'e but it must be done!!!

What would the league think of that suckas?? Lol

The problem isn't if the deal was fair or not, the problem is these superstars deciding where they want to be traded to when they are still under contract. Look at Dwight Howard now and the Nets, he "demands" a trade to the Nets so he can team up with Deron Williams.

If you keep letting teams do this, you are eventually going to have 4-5 teams who have at least 3 superstars. They are trying to stop this before it happens. How fun will it be seeing these teams dominate the league year in and year out?

Edited by BadgerFan

• Owner

The problem isn't if the deal was fair or not, the problem is these superstars deciding where they want to be traded to when they are still under contract. Look at Dwight Howard now and the Nets, he "demands" a trade to the Nets so he can team up with Deron Williams.

If you keep letting teams do this, you are eventually going to have 4-5 teams who have at least 3 superstars. They are trying to stop this before it even happens. How fun will it be seeing these teams dominate the league year in and year out?

Who won the NBA Finals last season?

• Owner

Another problem for Stern...

So why is Gilbert acting as if his opinion matters? Why does his opinion matter? Why should any of the 29 owners have any role in the operations of the Hornets? Buying a 1/29th share of a business, last I checked, doesn't give you a whole lot of sway in board meetings. I don't know a lot of folks who hold 3.4 percent of a company's stock and legitimately expect a voice at the table. Last November when Stern decided to bail out Hornets' owner George Shinn, the owners voted to buy the franchise and give Stern authority to run it. And when Stern took that authority, he made perfectly clear who would be calling the shots: not him.

Here's a transcript from Stern's December 6, 2010, media call discussing the Hornets' arrangement in response to a question about who will approve the team's proposed trades and free agent signings. You can hear the quotes for yourself at the Hornets' website. (Scroll down to the December 6 file.)

Take it away, 2010 Stern:

"As far as we're concerned there have been while this process has been going on, there have been two significant transactions. And our response to both of them was, 'You guys are management, you understand your budget and your instructions, just go ahead, because we've got Jac Sperling, Hugh Weber here, and if they recommend it, then we're going to be approving it.'"

Unless, you know, Dan Gilbert and his pack of wolves have a problem with it.

http://www.sbnation.com/2011-nba-free-agency/2011/12/9/2622974/chris-paul-trade-veto-la-lakers-david-stern-owners-hook/in/2386043

With what happened, he's making it more of a case of collusion, and that's going to hurt him, badly. CP3 could have something to hang him with.

• Owner

While Duncan was the cornerstone, he doesn't touch four rings without Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, and Bruce Bowen...two being the Spurs' prize possessions sought after by arguably the best international scout in years, one being Miami's "trash" that they just threw to the side...and Stephen Jackson, who first showed glimpses of how much of a defensive bad ass he could be when the Spurs picked him up in free agency, 2001.

Give him one ring, since Robinson and Duncan were the true twin towers during the shortened season, but I doubt the Spurs take out Los Angeles in 2003 if they don't have Parker/Jax/Manu, they definitely don't beat the 2005 Pistons in the Finals, and they more than likely lose to that Suns team in 2007.

Small-market teams win by not paying big superstars to come play for them, but by paying for excellent head coaches, assistants, and scouts. They hire a genius General Manager, and bring in the best trainers.

The only disadvantage a small-market team should have is that they aren't an attractive city for superstar free agents, but I can give numerous results of teams that don't need to sign free agents to win.

Miami Heat, who drafted Wade and traded for Shaq, would be one team in 2006.

The Dallas Mavericks traded for Dirk on draft day, and traded pieces to acquire Chandler, Kidd, Marion AND Terry. Because of this, they weren't stacked with superstars...they were the most complete team in the league.

The 2008 Boston Celtics won it all, and they traded their young guys to get it done (before the guys could bolt). Pierce was drafted by Boston. Garnett, Allen traded. Rondo traded to Boston.

Surprisingly, a lot of those players were traded for much lesser talent, expiring contracts, draft picks, or a combination of all three. Why? It wasn't because of their cities, it was because of smart management, advanced planning, and basically, GM's taking advantage of teams that were dumb with their money.

In the same light, the NY Knicks haven't been relevant since the Ewing days...because of poor money management and not having the scouts to select the best players available in the draft. New York, of all places. Now, finally, they are back in the discussion, and while they did get Amare through free agency, they traded almost everything they had to accomplish that, plus traded those pieces to Denver for Melo.

Same with the Clippers, who are in Los Angeles and, unfortunately, seem to fail to contend every year of their existence. Big market, bad management.

Winning is dependent on team and money management, before anything else. If a team is poorly ran, no important free agents will sign. You'll get your high draft pick, and because you don't spend your money on people that know the difference between a college player and a streetballer, you'll more than likely pick a bust. To make the fans happy, you'll spend a bit too much signing guys like Corey Maggette, then you'll slip into irrelevancy and will wait far too long trying to trade your potential bust, until it's too late.

What happens to a team that can fix what's wrong? They don't wait 10 years to rebuild, and they start from the ground up.

That's exactly what's wrong with the NBA. That's why we were in a lockout, and that's why we'll be in another one in six years, when the players and owners opt out of the new CBA. There are far too many small-market owners bitching because, quite frankly, they don't know how to manage their money. They wish they did.

Guess what? They just axed a trade that would've made a small market team better...and would ANYONE like to tell me how this made those small-market teams better today? Can someone tell me which of those teams will burst out of their 20 and 30-win seasons to be in the NBA Finals within the next five years? Ten years?

I didn't think so. I'm done rooting for the little guys, those underdogs to jump into the playoff scene and knock out the Heat, the Bulls, Celtics, Knicks, Mavs, and all of these teams I wish weren't winning. They will just get their asses kicked eventually, anyway, and fall back into their slumps.

In fact, I'm thinking I'm in support of wiping some of these teams out of the league. Contraction really does sound like a good idea now.

[expletive] this league. Seriously I hated this deal from the start but it was pretty clear that Houston had a plan in motion once they got Gasol, they were already working on short time as it is with Chuck Hayes trying to force them to make a contract offer now. Now I have no clue what we're doing, we're stuck. I wouldn't blame Morey if he just said "[expletive] it" and went home.

Edited by Dash

The Rockets had made the acquisition of Gasol central to their plans and their sale pitch to free agents, particularly Nene. The deal would have opened up cap space they needed, perhaps enough to sign Nene and bring back Chuck Hayes. And they had tried to get Nene based on the argument that pairing him with Gasol on a front line would make them a formidable combination.

Now, even with a possible amnesty cut of Hasheem Thabeet, the Rockets will fall well short of Nene’s contract demands, perhaps too far to reach a deal, and would have to tell him to please never mind so much of what they had been saying all week.

http://blog.chron.com/nba/2011/12/taking-a-deal-from-done-to-dead-david-stern-steps-in-stabs-rockets-others-in-the-back/

So yeah, basically Houston is [expletive]ed. Thanks Dan Gilbert.

A person involved in the talk said the deal had been worked on for months, but most intensely for the last couple of weeks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/09/sports/basketball/paul-set-to-join-lakers-as-part-of-3-team-deal.html?_r=1&src=tp

What the [expletive]? Paul HAS to have a case if this is true.

[expletive] this league. Seriously I hated this deal from the start but it was pretty clear that Houston had a plan in motion once they got Gasol, they were already working on short time as it is with Chuck Hayes trying to force them to make a contract offer now. Now I have no clue what we're doing, we're stuck. I wouldn't blame Morey if he just said "[expletive] it" and went home.

you were mad when the deal is going down and mad its not going down lol.

if the lakers some how still manage to get cp3 and dwight all i can say is im glad Dallas got there ring why they did.

• Like 1

• Owner

Don't forget, you guys not only put Martin, Scola and Dragic on the block...you basically traded them. It was a done deal.

It's going to suck when they walk into practice this afternoon...if they do.

you were mad when the deal is going down and mad its not going down lol.

if the lakers some how still manage to get cp3 and dwight all i can say is im glad Dallas got there ring why they did.

I'm pissed off for two reasons right now 1) shows how rigged this league is 2) Rockets plans were CENTERED around this deal, rather go forward with whatever Morey was planning than be left in shambles like this.

Don't forget, you guys not only put Martin, Scola and Dragic on the block...you basically traded them. It was a done deal.

It's going to suck when they walk into practice this afternoon...if they do.

Feigan caught up with Martin and Scola and both were very professional about it, basically accepted that the NBA is a business and players are moved all the time. Martin went as far to say that he was "blessed" to have his career revived here in Houston.

• Owner

Feigan caught up with Martin and Scola and both were very professional about it, basically accepted that the NBA is a business and players are moved all the time. Martin went as far to say that he was "blessed" to have his career revived here in Houston.

Lucky.

the thing.

Pau, Odom, Scola, Martin, Dragic shouldn't pout about being traded at all. its business, if your team can get better or get a player they think can make your team better they gonna trade you....................unless stern presses cancel button of course lol.

http://stoneywageslave.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/drclaw.jpg

Its safe to say Stern [expletive]ed things up more than he made them better.

1. Odom and Pau are way too sensitive for that news, so now the Lakers pretty much have two emo guys playing on their team.

2. CP3 will not be received well in New Orleans if he plays, and he is for sure going to leave in FA. So instead of the Hornets getting like 4 players and a pick, they get nothing.

3. Rockets obviously had something planned, but now they know Pau does not want to play for them

4. Dwight is going to NJ to form another super team of some kind if they sign another star player

5. Probably all the NBA players lost respect for Stern and the NBA and are probably ashamed to be part of a dysfunctional league.

He really just made things worse.

• Owner

will this add fuel to Kobe's fire at all?

Yep, most definitely...a fire that's burning a log enclosed in an igloo, in Antarctica.

Drew knows he was getting traded, also. Might as well lie to the rest of the team and say they were being dealt to the Magic for Gilbert Arenas.

• Owner
@Rachel__Nichols Rachel Nichols

Also got a couple texts from players noting that CP was only star player on union exec committee during labor talks and wondering if this was 'punishment' from owners. Some of those mtgs got pretty heated.

Well, assuming CP3 would sign...which he said he wouldn't, so yeah.

Good stuff. Monta would take them places thoughhhhhhh, he's like kinda decent!

Monta Ellis, Klay Thompson, Ekpe Udoh, and fillers/draft pics.

Thats a good group of YOUNG promising players.

• Owner

Monta Ellis, Klay Thompson, Ekpe Udoh, and fillers/draft pics.

Thats a good group of YOUNG promising players.

You're a Monta fan, so I have to watch what I say, lol. Ellis negates having Klay on that team, IMO (on any team, for that matter).

Word was that the Hornets wanted proven players, which is why they were so high on Kevin Martin and Luis Scola. I couldn't tell you how Klay will do in the league, and the same goes for Udoh.

You're a Monta fan, so I have to watch what I say, lol. Ellis negates having Klay on that team, IMO (on any team, for that matter).

Word was that the Hornets wanted proven players, which is why they were so high on Kevin Martin and Luis Scola. I couldn't tell you how Klay will do in the league, and the same goes for Udoh.

Yeah man, that was offensive. :lol:

If that's the case for proven players, never mind then. But are they trying to win now? If they're going to re-build, they should go after some of these younger players and build them in the New Orleans system.

• Owner

Yeah man, that was offensive. :lol:

If that's the case for proven players, never mind then. But are they trying to win now? If they're going to re-build, they should go after some of these younger players and build them in the New Orleans system.

Well, word is that NOW, Stern is going to allow the trade if the Hornets can get back younger talent.

So, basically, this is all ignorant, and a way to cover his ass. Ugh.

I wonder why Houston would want Gasol now, since he stated he didn't want to play there.

Haha, so Stephen Curry and fillers would be a better option?

Rajon Rondo and Jeff Green?

DeAndre, Aminu, Kaman's expiring?

So if CP3 and teammates didn't work out in New Orleans, is it supposed to be BETTER with Rajon Rondo or Stephen Curry? :lol:

Kevin Martin

Lamar Odom

Luis Scola

Emeka Okafor

Trevor Ariza

Goran Dragic

Jarrett Jack

two first-rounders

That's going to be a WORSE TEAM than Rondo replacing CP3?

What a joke. Again, it makes me laugh how bad these small-market teams just screwed over another small-market team, and in the end, those small-market teams won't do shit this year...and years beyond.

It's not going to be about on the court production, obviously that team will get more done on the court. However with that team, their cap situation is [expletive]ed and they are just going to be stuck as a treadmill team for the next 3-4 years and def won't compete with the Lakers. I would rather take the young stud player and begin a complete rebuild.

Lol if you actually believe the Hornets are better off with Luis Scola K-Mart and Odom.

Edited by Z True Long Island Story
  • Like 2