Confidence builders for Sixers' pick Vucevic

Need4Sheed

Collins wanted a 20-second timeout. He called a play for Vucevic to receive the inbound beyond the three-point line at the top of the key. Vucevic took the pass from Jrue Holiday, squared to the basket and released a shot that fell through with 0.1 second remaining. It marked Vucevic's first three points in a Sixers uniform and provided a glimpse of what the team hopes the promising big man can contribute this season.

"I was way open," Vucevic said. "It was great for my confidence to make that shot."

When the Sixers invested the No. 16 overall pick in the 7-foot, 240-pound center from USC, Vucevic was billed as a versatile big man who can shoot. The NBA lockout kept the team from working with Vucevic until earlier this month, and all he received to prepare for the season was an abbreviated training camp and two preseason games. Vucevic spent the work stoppage playing professional basketball in Montenegro, where he was raised. There's still considerable room for growth, although Collins has been pleased with what he's seen from Vucevic.

"I like his skill," Collins said. "I like how hard he works. I like his shooting touch."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/20111222_Confidence_builders_for_Sixers__top_pick_Vucevic.html

One play was cool, but he looked awful for the rest of the game.

It's cool though, I am not giving up on him based on two preseason games or anything. Pretty shitty year to be a rookie. Will probably be a slower process, but hopefully he can get it together.