New Jersey at New York

Real Deal

Motivation and the lack of one of the better m2m perimeter defenders guarding him :lol:

He was unconscious from deep, he was getting sooo open on those jab step-step backs.

Yeah...NO Shump.....I mean, Williams was hitting those 3's, and his teammates started joining in. The 3 ball is really what killed the Knicks. The Nets didn't get too much around the basket. The Knicks were so late getting out to contest...and no Chandler for the majority of the game was a killer.

It was a rough one to watch, I'm still not sold yet on the "Carmelo can't play w/ Lin" thing though...

http://sports.yahoo....cks_nets_022012

It's amazing what motivation can do.

I know exactly what he is referring to. I went in depth about this issue in the last NY vs NJ game thread. Lmao at everyone who was saying that Lin outplayed DWill that game. He didn't. ESPN blew it up and made it seem like Lin shit on DWill as well but in reality Farmar was guarding him for the majority of the game.

And lmao at people acting like Shump was the difference in this game. If he overplayed DWill like he does many other players, Dwill would have taken his ankles multiple times. DWill was straight BALLIN last night. There is nothing Shump could have done to stop him. Also, people seem to forget that we have been playing with out our 2nd best player ALL YEAR.

Also, blaming the refs is extremely stupid. Both teams didn't get calls. Shit, that play that Melo hacked the shit out of Morrow and they called a travel on Morrow.... he lost 4 teeth! GTFO with that the refs gave the Nets more calls bullshit.

Edited by GUƦU

^^

lol i dont think like D Will has ever shot like that in his life, fluke win

Marc Berman

Difference between Lin, Anthony. Lin's turnovers occur trying to make others better. Melo's TOs come trying to make himself better. #Knicks

false, but k

fluke win

:lmao:

It's not like more than half of the threes were wide open threes or anything. It's so funny hearing about how the Nets won because of "fluke" threes when the Knicks offense is notorious for chucking threes. Awesome.

Edited by GUƦU

And lmao at people acting like Shump was the difference in this game. If he overplayed DWill like he does many other players, Dwill would have taken his ankles multiple times. DWill was straight BALLIN last night. There is nothing Shump could have done to stop him. Also, people seem to forget that we have been playing with out our 2nd best player ALL YEAR.

Shumpert wasn't the difference in the game, but he most certainly was a difference in the game. He's one of the best young man defenders around.. to think that he wouldn't have slowed D-Will at least a little more than Lin did is not being objective. Yes, D-Will was on fire. The jab pop 3 destroyed us, and we weren't able to hide Lin on Gaines. But Shumpert would have taken away at least a few angles, making it tougher for him. Not the reason we lost, but definitely would have helped.

You have been without Brook, and I would never hold it against you if you used it as an excuse. Just as we've been without Melo (blessing) and Baron for most of it.

Also, blaming the refs is extremely stupid. Both teams didn't get calls. Shit, that play that Melo hacked the shit out of Morrow and they called a travel on Morrow.... he lost 4 teeth! GTFO with that the refs gave the Nets more calls bullshit.

I thought the Nets definitely got more calls, but that's not an excuse as to why we lost. Those ticky tack fouls Chandler picked up in the first half were bullshit and kept him on the bench while we were getting slammed in the 2nd quarter, but in all we were outplayed. I wouldn't have referenced it, personally. Nice win for the Nest.

I thought the Nets definitely got more calls, but that's not an excuse as to why we lost. Those ticky tack fouls Chandler picked up in the first half were bullshit and kept him on the bench while we were getting slammed in the 2nd quarter, but in all we were outplayed. I wouldn't have referenced it, personally. Nice win for the Nest.

And the two soft ass foul calls on Deron that kept him out basically the ENTIRE fourth quarter don't matter?! I can agree wit the refereeing being inconsistent last night but some Knicks fans need to stop acting like the refs won us the game.

And the two soft ass foul calls on Deron that kept him out basically the ENTIRE fourth quarter don't matter?!

I didn't say that. Just because I said that I felt the Nets were getting more calls doesn't mean that the Nets got every call and the Knicks got none. Just that I felt the Nets picked up more of the 50/50 ones.

Again, I feel the Nets got more calls but outplayed us regardless. They deserved to win and they won. We deserved to lose and we lost.

I didn't say that. Just because I said that I felt the Nets were getting more calls doesn't mean that the Nets got every call and the Knicks got none. Just that I felt the Nets picked up more of the 50/50 ones.

Just sounds like a weak excuse to me. In every game one team is going to get more calls than another. In this case I don't think it was a big enough issue to even bring up.

Just sounds like a weak excuse to me.

It's not an excuse? A game observation is not an excuse. It's.. a game observation.

As I've repeatedly been saying, we were outplayed. There is no excuse tied to being outplayed.. it is admitting the other team was better. The Nets, last night, were better.

In this case I don't think it was a big enough issue to even bring up.

Your opinion. A few of us feel differently. No big deal.

I know exactly what he is referring to. I went in depth about this issue in the last NY vs NJ game thread. Lmao at everyone who was saying that Lin outplayed DWill that game. He didn't. ESPN blew it up and made it seem like Lin shit on DWill as well but in reality Farmar was guarding him for the majority of the game.

Lol U are a clown if u think Shumpert makes no difference in the game last night, hard to debate if u are not wiling to concede that. Dwill would've been slowed up. A guy like Shumpert can take a star player like Williams out of his rhythm. Instead of getting 40, I think he would've went for 20-25ish. Williams is still going to get his points, especially shooting like that, but Williams had like 2-3 4 point plays, didn't he? Lol. Just horrible defense combined with great shooting.

Nets got more calls, especially at key points in the game I thought, but the game was officiated terribly from the beginning for both sides...Some of the fouls on Williams were horrible calls....(which is also what I said last night and maintain that now)...

Shumpert wasn't the difference in the game, but he most certainly was a difference in the game. He's one of the best young man defenders around.. to think that he wouldn't have slowed D-Will at least a little more than Lin did is not being objective. Yes, D-Will was on fire. The jab pop 3 destroyed us, and we weren't able to hide Lin on Gaines. But Shumpert would have taken away at least a few angles, making it tougher for him. Not the reason we lost, but definitely would have helped.

You have been without Brook, and I would never hold it against you if you used it as an excuse. Just as we've been without Melo (blessing) and Baron for most of it.

Well said. Agree with most of this. I think we still lose even with Shumpert, but our defense would've been much better. Offensively, we still probably struggle, but Shumpert has the ability to get hot in the 4th qtr of games, so he would've been a help in that game on the offensive end possibly, too.

Difference in the game last night

Nets 15-31 from 3

Knicks 5-21 from 3

They got their looks and hit their shots, we missed ours...

Yeah...

Although, many of theirs were wide open, many of ours were contested. Although we missed our fair share of open ones, too.

I think fatigue was an issue, I know the Nets played 3 in a row, but I mean more of mental fatigue. Definitely not an excuse, because the Nets out played us, but I think it's difficult to maintain that intensity after such a crazy game vs. Dallas and all the hoopla the past few weeks.

Edited by JYD

I still don't know why Humphries gets booed either. It seems like a stupid tradition a few Knicks fans started that caught on like a wild fire. I don't watch Keeping up with the Kardashians either so maybe it has something to do with that. Iono. Somebody enlighten me.

• Owner

Deron was playing angry, and he seemed like he was more pissed off than he was when he went out to light the Nuggs up in the playoffs a few years back (dropped 34) and tore the Lakers up for 35 back in 2009. He would have hit the 40-point mark on LA in that game, if it wasn't for Kobe switching over every now and then.

Shump is a good defender, but Williams would have still hit the 30-point mark. He would have been more elusive with him, or just used screens.

Individually...offense will almost always succeed over defense. May not be the case when you're talking team play, but you can't stick your best defensive player on an elite offensive player, on an island, and expect that offensive juggernaut to be shut down. Shump is not an elite defender yet, while Deron is a legitimate superstar in this league, arguably the best PG.

There are going to be a few guys in the NBA that would torch him, if they wanted to be selfish and were pissed off. Raja Bell was a very good defensive player for a Suns team that didn't have much help defense, and D'Antoni found out really quick that sticking Bell on Kobe may have been the best option, but it didn't matter...and Kobe has toasted Phoenix more than any other team he has ever played (in regards to 40+ point games). Deron had one of those nights, and the Knicks really don't play the defense they need to in order to stop players in that zone. There's no way Shump would have held Deron to just 20.

--------------

By the way...we know two things about Jeremy Lin: he's not much of a defender, and he's a turnover machine. He didn't throw very many against the Nets, but he's still struggling...and it's not "okay" as some put it...he has been THE WORST in NBA history, turning the ball over. That includes all rookies coming in and starting for their teams, like Kyrie Irving, and every player who has ever started in this league.

But, on a positive note, I think his turnovers will drop as Melo gets back to form (if they actually work together). Still not acceptable, no matter the defensive attention he was getting...but winning seems to cure all.