Alex Rio's out of Toronto?

Warren2ThaG

Rios has been claimed off waivers by an unspecified team, ESPN reports. The Blue Jays can now trade him to the club, let the club claim him outright or pull him back off waivers.

Recommendation: Given that Rios has more than $60 million and six years left on his contract, it would seem likely that he'll be traded so that Toronto can reduce payroll. However, he does have a no-trade clause which could block a deal.

(Rotowire.com)

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/postedsports/archive/2009/08/07/waiver-claim-made-on-rios-report.aspx

Waiver wire block gone bad? Would not shock me if the Mets claimed him...can't even imagine where else would make sense.

I was thinking the same exact thing, I'm not even excitied either I'm not a fan of Rios, he's better than Church and Pagan but not for that contract

update: Joel Sherman of the New York Post says a high ranking team official assured him the Mets did not claim Rios.

Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus writes, “Lots of speculation that it was the White Sox that claimed Rios. I have no idea.”

Edited by Fish7718

Is Rios still in TOR's lineup? looks like it

He is still their property until a trade is worked out with the claiming team, or until they just decide to hand him over. They can also decide to keep him, but that would make no sense for them. This is a chance for them to shed his entire salary, and that chance will probably never come around again.

If they dump Rios's contract you guys think that they will offer Roy more money to stay?

Doubt it. I will guess that they want to start totally from scratch. If they can't win with Roy now, how will they win with him minus one of their bigger bats? I think they just need a totally new approach, because what they have been working with for the past 3-4 years isn't really working. Tough luck though, since the division they are in makes things even tougher.

Edited by Phightins09

Yeah I was just wondering if maybe the wanted to keep Roy there for his whole career but solid point.

It's possible though, who knows. But Roy also seems like he wants to play for a winner, and whatever money the Blue Jays could pony up for him could easily be matched by either of the two evil empires. I think it will be for the best for both sides if he leaves.