Random Sixers Thoughts 2011-12

Phightins

Last night was pretty encouraging despite the result.

Lou Williams was awesome, and Spencer Hawes was serviceable. Both of these things were awesome to see, particularly the latter. Sixers were a .500 team last year with Hawes playing like garbage for most of the year. If he can be average at best, that is a huge improvement.

If Spencer Hawes can be a serviceable NBA center that Phildaelphia team will be able to compete night in, and night out. The Sixers seemed to have a problem turning the ball over which could be attributed to a non existant training camp. Holiday seemed nervous out there, but should rebound quite nicely. Sixers could be a sleeper pick for the division.

• Like 1

Watching the game last night made me think that this Sixer team would be among the leagues best if they somehow managed to get a legitimate number 1 option.

They have all the pieces to surround a star with. Iguodala is the ideal all-around wing you want beside a star, Brand, despite his contract, is a very nice 3rd option assuming he continues to stick those 15 foot baseline jumpers, Holiday is an awesome all around point guard and then they have great bench play with guys like Lou, Thad and Turner as well as good shooters like Meeks.

It is too bad the Sixers don't really have any means of acquiring that stud player because they are a playoff team, would have to gut the core to make a trade for one (if anybody would even go there) and have no cap space to sign one.

Could you imagine a lineup of:

Howard

Brand

Iggy

Meeks

Holiday

with Williams, Thad, Turner and Hawes off of the bench?

That would be a very dangerous team and could easily end up with a top 3 seed in the East.

Now, enough with the fantasy scenarios. I do think that this team will be right in the thick of things with the Pacers and Hawks for that 5th seed in the East (I'm no including Orlando since I believe Howard gets dealt). They aren't on the level of the Bulls, Heat, Knicks and Celtics, but I could definitely see them finishing 5th in the East. They are just really scrappy, well coached and play very solid defense. If Holiday can take the next step in his development and Iguodala can become a more reliable scorer, I see them as the most dangerous lower seeded team in the East.

Watching the game last night made me think that this Sixer team would be among the leagues best if they somehow managed to get a legitimate number 1 option.

They have all the pieces to surround a star with. Iguodala is the ideal all-around wing you want beside a star, Brand, despite his contract, is a very nice 3rd option assuming he continues to stick those 15 foot baseline jumpers, Holiday is an awesome all around point guard and then they have great bench play with guys like Lou, Thad and Turner as well as good shooters like Meeks.

It is too bad the Sixers don't really have any means of acquiring that stud player because they are a playoff team, would have to gut the core to make a trade for one (if anybody would even go there) and have no cap space to sign one.

Could you imagine a lineup of:

Howard

Brand

Iggy

Meeks

Holiday

with Williams, Thad, Turner and Hawes off of the bench?

That would be a very dangerous team and could easily end up with a top 3 seed in the East.

Now, enough with the fantasy scenarios. I do think that this team will be right in the thick of things with the Pacers and Hawks for that 5th seed in the East (I'm no including Orlando since I believe Howard gets dealt). They aren't on the level of the Bulls, Heat, Knicks and Celtics, but I could definitely see them finishing 5th in the East. They are just really scrappy, well coached and play very solid defense. If Holiday can take the next step in his development and Iguodala can become a more reliable scorer, I see them as the most dangerous lower seeded team in the East.

Pretty much accurate, although if everything goes right I really think we can compete with Boston and New York as is. We'll see though.

And yep, this is my dilemma as a Sixers fan. This team is awesome to watch. 7-8 very good players and a good coach that everyone seems to buy into. It just really sucks knowing that there is no way they ever contend for a championship. If we wind up with a top 6 seed, I could see this team winning a playoff series, but that is absolute best case scenario. Not a chance they can hang with Chicago or Miami without that number 1 guy.

I think that it will be close (between Boston, Philly and New York) especially since the condensed season favors the Sixers youthful legs as opposed to the Celtics being on their last legs and the Knicks having little to no depth. If either one of the Celtics or Knicks suffer any sort of injury to their main rotation, I could see Philly sneaking in their and finishing better than them.

In the end, I do think that the superior talent on the Knicks and Celtics will end up prevailing and that the Sixers will finish about 3-5 games behind them.

I know one thing, though, I will definitely be checking out more Sixer games this year. I've always like Collins as a coach and been a big fan of Holiday since he came into the league (he was my number 2 choice behind DeRozan in the draft and when I saw him fall to 17 I desperately wanted Colangelo to find a way to get another pick), but I never really caught many of their games last year. I'll make sure that changes this year as they are a very entertaining team.

• Like 1

The main portion of the west coast swing is done. I am very pleased with 2-2, despite the fact that they should have won the Utah game. Any time you can come back from a west coast swing at .500 or better, I consider it a success. Don't care that we didn't go through LA or any of the Texas cities. I will take it. Still one game in New Orleans before the home opener on Friday.

I know it is early and teams are still getting their legs under them, but I think I may have to reconsider my comments about where the Sixers will finish this season. After watching their first 5 games and a handful of games from other teams in the Atlantic, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they managed to win that division.

The way that they play defensively combined with how deep they are is going to make them extremely tough to beat. On any given night one of Holiday, Turner, Iguodala, Hawes, Williams, Young or Brand can lead this team and when one or two of the starters struggle you just know that one of the three bench studs (ET, Thad and Lou) are going to pick up the slack for them. That makes them so dangerous especially when you combine it with their excellent defense.

I still think that Boston will ultimately win the division, but I won't be surprised at all if the Sixers end up winning it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found this pic back in 2009 and it belongs here, IMO. Enjoy, Sixer fanz:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tWRTPguW8G8/Saf3jzv4TqI/AAAAAAAABgI/-MT3taz13Cc/s1600-h/Preston_76ersWeb.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tWRTPguW8G8/Saf3jzv4TqI/AAAAAAAABgI/-MT3taz13Cc/s1600-h/Preston_76ersWeb.jpg

Edited by Šhãłïq

• 1 month later...

So Philly really fell off a cliff.

I honestly can't say I saw that coming. In a normal season I could but with the condensed schedule I thought their depth would help them avoid these kind of losing streaks.

Was just thinking this. Bizarro.

This season is the exact opposite of last season. But will end with the same result.

• 3 weeks later...
John Mitchell of the Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting that Sixers sixth man, Louis Williams, will opt out of the final year of his contract with the Philadelphia 76ers.

http://philly.sbnation.com/philadelphia-76ers/2012/4/21/2965431/lou-williams-contract-philadelphia-76ers-rumors-nba-off-season-2012

Woooo yeahhhh. Losing a nice asset and getting no compensation is the best way to start a rebuild, you guys.

• 1 month later...

Very weird season. Considering how the regular season finished, that playoff run was certainly unexpected and more than I could have ever hoped for.

Will be an interesting offseason. Futures of Elton Brand, Andre Iguodala, Spencer Hawes, Lou Williams, and Jodie Meeks up in the air. Honestly wouldn't be shocked to see most/all of them gone, either via trade, free agency, or amnesty.

Players that I think will be in another uniform next season.

Hawes

Brand

Lou Will

Sam Young

Thad (possibly)

I really don't see Thad being dealt. Doesn't Collins absolutely love him? Unless the Sixers end up surprising everybody and pulling off some completely out of left field trade for a star, I really don't see Thad being dealt.

I can see all the others, though.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Danny Ferry will be the new GM. On one hand, it is great that they are hiring *somebody* now. This upcoming offseason, one could argue, is the biggest for this team in over a decade. With Thorn out of the role, we need somebody to take over ASAP to get this thing rolling. On the other hand, I have read some not-so-great things about Ferry. But I am not sure how much it will matter, since the main point of this hiring is to supposedly get Doug Collins more power.

Ferry has spent some time ;earning under the Spurs GM..the Spurs have one of the best ran organizations in the league, so hopefully he's learned a few new things.

• 3 weeks later...
975TheFanatic ‏@975TheFanatic

David Pingalore of WKMG-TV in #Orlando: multiple players involved in a potential multiple team trade, #Sixers likely one of those teams.

Hmm...