Suns Sign Michael Redd

Built Ford Tough

PHOENIX (AP) -- The Phoenix Suns have signed All-Star guard Michael Redd.

Suns president of basketball operations Lon Babby said Thursday that Redd is a proven scorer. He averaged 20 points in 11 seasons with the Milwaukee Bucks.

Redd was in the final season of a six-year, $91 million deal he signed with the Bucks in 2005. Two injuries to his left knee cost him large chunks of three straight seasons.

The 6-foot-6 guard was the 43rd overall pick of the 2000 NBA Draft by the Bucks, his only pro team.

http://www.nba.com/2011/news/12/29/suns-redd.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

I guess if anybody can keep Redd healthy it is the Suns, and for that reason alone, I like this signing for Redd himself. He is never going to get back to the level he was at during his prime, but if he can stay healthy he can still be usefull as a dangerous shooter and floor spacer.

As for the Suns, it is a low risk signing so you can't really fault them for that either. They don't have a lot of talent on their roster and their shooting guard rotation is hardly set in stone. If Redd can come in and give the Suns anything, it was a worthy signing if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit disappointed with the Suns management because Nash is eventually gonna go/retire and then we'll be the worst team in the league, running or not.

If this guy gets back into shape I'm sure he can give us some points but he's most likely not gonna be very good and suck at defense.

The Suns should seriously consider going into suck-mode and rebuild around some nice players with a more defensive style of play.