Lakers 6-22 in Portland since drafting Kobe

Dr. Feelgood

Since acquiring Kobe Bryant in a draft-day trade in 1996, the Lakers are 6-23 in Portland in the regular season, falling to the Trail Blazers year after year, whether rain or hail or the occasional burst of sunshine as their bus pulls into the oversized garage.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/01/05/prickly-showdown-in-rose-city/?ls=iref:nbahpt1

A pretty good article and tonight's game is going to be HUGE...not just for the Blazers, but the Lakers as well.

• Owner

Pretty interesting. I looked at all 29 games, noticed that Kobe hasn't performed that bad against Portland until Roy and Batum came along, which makes a lot of sense. The four losses during the first dynasty (third championship and the season after) is more than likely due to us not having anything outside of Kobe and Shaq, and there was no way those two were going to score 90+ points together, as long as the Blazers decided to double Kobe OR Shaq (they would do both, one to stop the facilitating and one to stop Shaq inside).

The article almost makes it sound like a bad thing for Bryant, as if he has been choking against them his entire career, but that's not the case. He has had some bad games against them, though...but not incredibly bad (I don't think I recall him shooting under 37% in any of them aside from one of his first games as a rookie or sophomore, and that percentage didn't come up that often).

1997 (rookie): 0-2 @ Portland (Kobe played four minutes in one game)

1998: 0-2

1999: 0-1

2000: 1-1 (Kobe did not play in the loss)

2001: 1-1

2002: 0-2

2003: 0-2 (Kobe/Shaq combined for 72, both over 50%, still lost...other game, Shaq did not play)

2004: 1-1 (Kobe/Shaq's best game against them, or second best...resulted in a loss)

2005: 1-1

-------- Have to post about these games. I have no idea how they won the first game, considering who was on the roster...but that second game, in April, the Lakers lost by three, despite starting Kobe, Chris Mihm, Jumaine Jones, Chucky Atkins, and Sasha Vujacic (no Odom on the roster).

2006: 0-2 (dropped 41 and still lost, 35 in another but bad shooting - 37%)

2007: 0-1 (32 PTS, 63% FG, no Gasol, Drew with one shot attempt)

2008: 0-2 (no Drew, 33 PTS on 50% in one game, Gasol played great in the other)

2009: 0-2 (bad shooting games)

2010: 1-1 (no Gasol in the Lakers loss, no Kobe OR Roy in the win)

2011: 1-1 (Kobe went off in this win, Gasol and Ron did good as well, bad shooting for everyone in the loss)

(...) The article almost makes it sound like a bad thing for Bryant, as if he has been choking against them his entire career, but that's not the case. (...)

My thoughts exactly. Also, the Lakers and the Blazers play each 4 times each season (excl. lockout-shortened ones). So why only 2 games per season? :huh:

• Owner

My thoughts exactly. Also, the Lakers and the Blazers play each 4 times each season (excl. lockout-shortened ones). So why only 2 games per season? :huh:

I was just showing the record when the Lakers play in Portland.