What if no Dwight, and Deron wants out?

Real Deal

• Owner

Okay Nets fans...it's March 14th (one day before the trade deadline), and the worst has happened (we're assuming, just for the sake of discussion).

Dwight Howard ends up in LA or Dallas, wherever (in a trade)...and Deron Williams wants out of New Jersey.

At this point, what exactly do you do?

Do you scramble and put Deron on the block, and try and trade him before the deadline?

Do you keep him until July, wanting that last chance to build around him?

What team(s) would you consider trading him to? What players would you want to pick up if you were going to try and make a last-ditch effort to build around him?

I mean if he comes out and says he wants out we will obviously try to deal him at the deadline.

But I don't think it is Dwight or bust. I remember his manager/best friend even tweeted when we were close to getting Nene that picking up Nene would be a GREAT pickup. I think he just wants another great player to play alongside him. It sucks that Brook got injured because although Brook isn't the best big man, he is soooooo much better than Petro and Sheldon W.

In the end, I see him walking because of our failure to get a big name player. I can't see him demanding a trade.

Okay Nets fans...it's March 14th (one day before the trade deadline), and the worst has happened (we're assuming, just for the sake of discussion).

Dwight Howard ends up in LA or Dallas, wherever (in a trade)...and Deron Williams wants out of New Jersey.

At this point, what exactly do you do?

Do you scramble and put Deron on the block, and try and trade him before the deadline?

Do you keep him until July, wanting that last chance to build around him?

What team(s) would you consider trading him to? What players would you want to pick up if you were going to try and make a last-ditch effort to build around him?

He certainly won't end up in Dallas via trade, but in the case that he ends up in L.A., DO NOT trade Deron for the following reasons:

1) There have been clues here and there that Dwight would not want to stick in L.A. after getting traded there. I'm skeptical about him not changing his mind, but whatever happens, he's going to be a free agent, in which case you get the opportunity to try and sign him straight-up.

2) If Dwight does sign that new contract with L.A., I don't rule out the chance of Deron staying. Deron and Dwight are looking to play alongside each other, but if Dwight eliminates that option by staying with the Lakers, Deron still has reason to stick with this club. We've basically made him assistant GM and assistant coach... much of what we brought over was done with some level of his input. We've catered to his will (maybe a bit too much, but that's a separate discussion). The scenario would basically be that Lopez and Brooks are still here, plus we draft at least one great player out of this draft class, and that would equate to a team with a legitimate shot at the playoffs.

Basically, Dwight will be a free agent whether or not he gets dealt, meaning the Nets will talk to him and try and bring him over.

Deron and (one of) D. James/Morrow/Shawne Williams for Melo.. sign me up :)

Not happening.

I mean if he comes out and says he wants out we will obviously try to deal him at the deadline.

But I don't think it is Dwight or bust. I remember his manager/best friend even tweeted when we were close to getting Nene that picking up Nene would be a GREAT pickup. I think he just wants another great player to play alongside him. It sucks that Brook got injured because although Brook isn't the best big man, he is soooooo much better than Petro and Sheldon W.

In the end, I see him walking because of our failure to get a big name player. I can't see him demanding a trade.

In terms of success down the road, it may just be Dwight or bust for the Nets plus those two individuals (unless they team up). I think the two guys are aware that they're basically the only remaining top ten players not settled somewhere, and there best chance at beating the top flight teams is teaming up.

In the case that Dwight is traded elsewhere and is still looking to team up with Deron, I believe Brooklyn would be the best option. If Dwight lands in L.A. and changes in mind and settles there, I still like our chances of keeping Deron.

As long as we have a shot at Dwight, not happening.

One leftover question from the whole Dwight Howard discussion to the left: Is there any scenario where the Nets, fearing that they won't be able to trade for Howard and thus putting themselves at great risk for losing Deron Williams in free agency this summer, decide to trade D-Will before the March 15 deadline to avoid that nightmare scenario?

Sources briefed on New Jersey's thinking say that there's only one such scenario.

If Howard is traded to the Lakers before the deadline, sources say New Jersey would then be forced to explore its D-Will trade options, knowing that Williams would be a virtual lock to leave come July. If Orlando keeps Howard or deals him anywhere else but L.A. or Dallas before the deadline, thus keeping alive its dream of pairing the two in Brooklyn next fall, New Jersey will wait.

The Nets, in other words, would have to be all the way out of the Howard Sweepstakes before abandoning their plans, having sacrificed so much last February (Derrick Favors, Devin Harris and two first-round picks) just to get D-Wil

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-120113-15/where-dwight-howard-land

Rebuild plain and simple. If he's not staying with us then he's going to form a duo somewhere. With Heat, Knicks, Lakers and maybe another couple teams miles ahead of us talent wise, no point trying to form a free agency team of Travis Outlaws.

Take our first pick this year and build around both Brook and Brooks.

Get the paper bags ready....

http://cdn.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/alg_nets_bagheads.jpg

Seriously though, if there's no movement on the Dwight trade 2 days before the deadline, you make a fullcourt push to trade Deron away for at least a few draft picks and 1-2 servicable, preferably young players. If he commits to a contract extension with another team, obviously that will increase the return the Nets get. But the Nets will need draft picks and a few servicable role players as they move forward.