Anyone play any instruments?

SRV

Music basically got me through grade school and high school. Played in various bands at school and with friends. Unfortunately I have barely touched any of it in the past 4 years. Started playing piano and saxophone when I was 10. Took drum lessons for a few years also.

I played drums for about a year and then gave up after my parents refused to get me a drum set. I have been playing guitar for like 2 and a half years now and I love it. Every day I end up picking it up to fool around and I end up playing for hours.

picked up acoustic about 6 months ago, love it, self teaching which is a bit of a challenge but im getting there

I taught myself too....don't know when it happened, but once you figure things out everything just comes together. I have gotten to the point where I can learn parts of songs by ear.

Edited by SRV

well it does come a bit easier for me because i used to play the piano for 6 years so i do have a musical background, that and my brother and sister are both awesome at guitar so listening to them im sure is helping out quite a lot

although most times i cant play longer that 20-30mins my fingers start hurting haha need the skin to get tougher

• Owner

Played a trumpet for years, ranked #1 (individually) in state for two consecutive years, took it to a JUCO and did nothing with it after my two years there...basically, I hated band, didn't really have friends in it, so when the band went on trips or had camp, it was me and some girl that sat and had hour long conversations about nothing. She was the only other person that felt the same way, haha.

I got a lot of shit my senior year, when I tried to get back on the basketball team (after I shattered my ankle my junior year), and I kind of knew I was going to get in trouble, trying out without a doctor's note. I had to drop band (marching band) for the first part of the year, didn't really give a damn about it and worked my ass off for basketball. I ended up getting owned, wasn't allowed to play ball without the note, couldn't pass the physical (although I did, my doctor was being a punk and it was all about my diabetes, regardless of what he said), and my band teacher practically begged me to come back for the second semester.

Doing that allowed me to combine a band scholarship with an academic one, so it worked out in the end, although I really wanted to find a way to play basketball again.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...