NBA GM Survey: Players

Real Deal

• Owner
Who will win the 2011-12 MVP?

1. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City -- 55.6%

2. LeBron James, Miami -- 44.4%

Last year: Kevin Durant -- 66.7%

If you were starting a franchise and could sign any player, who would it be?

T1. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City -- 37.0%

T1. LeBron James, Miami -- 37.0%

3. Derrick Rose, Chicago -- 14.8%

4. Dwight Howard, Orlando -- 7.4%

5. Dwyane Wade, Miami -- 3.7%

Last year: Kevin Durant - 55.6%

Which player forces opposing coaches to make the most adjustments?

1. Dwight Howard, Orlando -- 29.6%

2. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City -- 22.2%

3. LeBron James, Miami -- 18.5%

4. Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas -- 14.8%

5. Derrick Rose, Chicago -- 7.4%

Also receiving votes: Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers; Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers

Last year: Kobe Bryant -- 35.7%

Which player is most likely to have a breakout season in 2011-12?

1. James Harden, Oklahoma City -- 21.4%

T2. Ty Lawson, Denver -- 10.7%

T2. Kyle Lowry, Houston -- 10.7%

T4. Paul George, Indiana -- 7.1%

T4. Jrue Holiday, Philadelphia -- 7.1%

T4. Marcus Thornton, Sacramento -- 7.1%

Also receiving votes: LaMarcus Aldridge, Portland; Andrew Bynum, L.A. Lakers; DeMar DeRozan, Toronto; Eric Gordon, New Orleans; Spencer Hawes, Philadelphia; DeAndre Jordan, L.A. Clippers; Kevin Love, Minnesota; Rajon Rondo, Boston; Lou Williams, Philadelphia; Nick Young, Washington

Last year: Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook -- 14.8%

Who is the best point guard in the NBA?

1. Derrick Rose, Chicago -- 59.3%

2. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 37.0%

3. Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City -- 3.7%

Last year: Deron Williams -- 50.0%

Who is the best shooting guard in the NBA?

1. Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers -- 55.6%

2. Dwyane Wade, Miami -- 40.7%

3. Ray Allen, Boston -- 3.7%

Last year: Kobe Bryant -- 85.7%

Who is the best small forward in the NBA?

1. LeBron James, Miami -- 77.8%

2. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City -- 18.5%

3. Carmelo Anthony, New York -- 3.7%

Last year: LeBron James -- 67.9%

Who is the best power forward in the NBA?

1. Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas -- 41.1%

2. Blake Griffin, L.A. Clippers -- 17.9%

3. Kevin Love, Minnesota -- 14.3%

4. LaMarcus Aldridge, Portland -- 10.7%

5. Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City -- 7.1%

Also receiving votes: Tim Duncan, San Antonio; Kevin Garnett, Boston; Pau Gasol, L.A. Lakers

Last year: Pau Gasol, Dirk Nowitzki -- 28.6%

Who is the best center in the NBA?

1. Dwight Howard, Orlando -- 96.3%

2. Pau Gasol, L.A. Lakers -- 3.7%

Last year: Dwight Howard -- 96.3%

http://www.nba.com/news/features/2012-gm-survey/index.html#players

So LeBron wins in a landslide as the best SF, but those same people wouldn't want to start a franchise with him? Explains why so many teams are so horribly run. Give me the 27 year old who shows absolutely no signs of slowing down anytime soon over the younger guy (only 4 years mind you) who is supposed to "get better", but is still the same player he was 2 years ago.

Durant is so overrated it is insane, if anyone deserves to be in the class with LeBron in the "start a team with" debate, it is Rose, not Durant. Smh.

Edited by Check my Stats

Durant is so overrated it is insane, if anyone deserves to be in the class with LeBron in the "start a team with" debate, it is Rose, not Durant. Smh.

Rose? Meh. Him and Durant are on the same level. Dwight is the only player that deserves to be in the same "start a team" debate with LeBron.

THIS. Durant is crazy overrated right now. He's not even that far above Carmelo, I don't even know if I would take him over Melo. Give me LeBron easily over Durant to build a team over, then Rose and Dwight.

THIS. Durant is crazy overrated right now. He's not even that far above Carmelo, I don't even know if I would take him over Melo. Give me LeBron easily over Durant to build a team over, then Rose and Dwight.

I don't know why Rose keeps being mentioned with LeBron/Dwight instead of Durant/Melo.

11-12 Durant: 27.4PER, 26.0PPG, 6.8RPG, 3.4APG, .609 TS%

11-12 Rose: 23.7PER, 20.8PPG, 8.7APG, 3.5RPG, .555 TS%

• Owner

I thought Rose has been pretty overrated over the last couple of seasons, actually. He may have been the force behind the Bulls' offense last year, but they won the majority of their games due to Thibodeau and their defensive scheme. Didn't really care for his playoff run last year, either, although he was injured.

Most definitely a superstar, though (and I separate my superstars from all-stars, two different things), but I've always liked Durant over Rose, and I think last year's MVP was Dwight.

The thing about Durant is that while he's a terrific scorer (much like Melo), I haven't seen him add a ton of moves to his arsenal on offense, and that ultimately led to him losing in the playoffs. No I'm not blaming him for OKC getting eliminated, but he wasn't as efficient in the Dallas series due to their physical defenders (Marion, Stevenson). He's not as complete as a player as LeBron, or even Rose to be perfectly honest. I view his career in the same mold as Dirk's in that it may take him longer than expected to develop other facets of his game. Dirk has improved drastically in the last year as a defender (credit Carlisle's zone D), and as a passer out of the double teams.

On a team like OKC that stresses the importance of one on one play, it's imperative of Durant to become more well rounded in order for them to advance to the Finals.

My only two problems with Rose is his lack of a post game, and his inability to play off the ball. Other than that, I think he's done growing.

Here's my list for players I'd take to start off a franchise:

1. LeBron

2. Dwight

3. Blake Griffin

4. Durant

5. Rose

The thing about Durant is that while he's a terrific scorer (much like Melo), I haven't seen him add a ton of moves to his arsenal on offense, and that ultimately led to him losing in the playoffs. No I'm not blaming him for OKC getting eliminated, but he wasn't as efficient in the Dallas series due to their physical defenders (Marion, Stevenson). He's not as complete as a player as LeBron, or even Rose to be perfectly honest. I view his career in the same mold as Dirk's in that it may take him longer than expected to develop other facets of his game. Dirk has improved drastically in the last year as a defender (credit Carlisle's zone D), and as a passer out of the double teams.

On a team like OKC that stresses the importance of one on one play, it's imperative of Durant to become more well rounded in order for them to advance to the Finals.

My only two problems with Rose is his lack of a post game, and his inability to play off the ball. Other than that, I think he's done growing.

Durant has actually improved his playmaking this season, and his defense continues to improve. He could definitely add some one-on-one moves to his arsenal, but as it is he's a great iso scorer, and probably the most dangerous off-ball player in the game. His efficiency is ridiculous.

Rose is still inefficient (under 44% shooting, 33% of those shots being 3's which he shoots below 32%), and as he was exposed last year in the ECF, if he can't get to the rim and can't hit the step back jumper, he's pretty useless scoring the ball. He needs to learn to play off-ball, and still needs to continue to improve his jumper. His defense is also still suspect, though with his athleticism and strength he has all the tools to be a great defender.

Between the two, I'd say Durant is the better player. He's more consistent, and IMO harder to effectively take out of the game.

I agree Rose has been fairly inefficient this season, but as I said, if he's able to play off the ball and develops a post game, it will result in more high % shots which will bump those averages up.

I haven't been impressed with Durant's defense. Yesterday Pierce took advantage of him a lot, whether it was in the paint or out along the perimeter. Although, I haven't been impressed at all with Rose's defense either, far too often I see players blowing by him, getting into the lane and playmaking. It happened in the game against Rondo a few nights ago, against Rubio, and against CP3.

• Owner

Well it all looks a bit chaotic... I haven't seen him play this year but isn't Pau Gasol a PF? Yet he's the second best center? o.O

He starts at the PF spot, but he does play center every now and then. I wouldn't call him one, but it's whatever.

Second best center is Drew.

Dirk has improved drastically in the last year as a defender (credit Carlisle's zone D), and as a passer out of the double teams.

Casey's zone, not Carlisle's.

Not trying to take anything away from Carlisle as I think he is a fantastic coach, but Casey was the mastermind behind that defense.

Neither was LeBron, or Kobe, or anyone.

He wasn't that efficient in the Memphis series as well. It just proves he needs to add another dimension to his arsenal, and that cannot be disputed. It should also be noted that he eclipsed the 5 assist mark only 4 times in 17 playoff games last year.

He wasn't that efficient in the Memphis series as well. It just proves he needs to add another dimension to his arsenal, and that cannot be disputed. It should also be noted that he eclipsed the 5 assist mark only 4 times in 17 playoff games last year.

Memphis had Allen and Battier to throw at Durant, though...that's a helluva combo defensively. He still scored over 33pts 3x in that series, and had only 2 inefficient games (games 3 and 6).

And yes, you're right when it comes to the assists, but he also grabbed 9 boards or more in half his playoff games, which is sensational for a SF.

Problem is, he shies away from contact, and that makes Oklahoma City so vulnerable in the playoffs. Durant gets thrown off when faced with physical defenders, and that's typically what happens in the playoffs. It's why I'm such a fan of Melo, because he's equipped to handle both playing styles, whether it's backing off on the offensive player, or playing him up tight. Durant is able to get his shot on most teams, but when it's not working, he's strictly a jump shooter, and I want to see him improve that.

• Owner

Memphis had Allen and Battier to throw at Durant, though...that's a helluva combo defensively.

Take both over LeBron and Wade combo, defensively? :o That duo was a huge part of why the Grizzlies were so good last season, aside from Zach Randolph tapping into his inner Karl Malone.

I dont see Durant winning MVP this season, he hasnt even had a 30 point game so far. Good numbers regardless but those arent MVP caliber numbers by any means

He's had like 5 30 point games man. While I agree with you that's a dumb argument.

Problem is, he shies away from contact, and that makes Oklahoma City so vulnerable in the playoffs. Durant gets thrown off when faced with physical defenders, and that's typically what happens in the playoffs. It's why I'm such a fan of Melo, because he's equipped to handle both playing styles, whether it's backing off on the offensive player, or playing him up tight. Durant is able to get his shot on most teams, but when it's not working, he's strictly a jump shooter, and I want to see him improve that.

He shots 10+ free throws in 10 of the 17 playoff games.

And yes, Melo has a more versatile game, but it's inefficient (.544 TS% this season). Melo has too quick of a trigger a lot of times, and too often he bails out his defender with jumpers. Durant's game is much more efficient and doesn't stop offensive rythym like Melo's game can at time.

He shots 10+ free throws in 10 of the 17 playoff games.

And yes, Melo has a more versatile game, but it's inefficient (.544 TS% this season). Melo has too quick of a trigger a lot of times, and too often he bails out his defender with jumpers. Durant's game is much more efficient and doesn't stop offensive rythym like Melo's game can at time.

I know he gets to the line, but he's not adept to absorbing contact the way Bron, Kobe, Melo, or Wade can, and in the playoffs, that's an essential element of every great scorers' game.

And there's no doubt Durant is a better player than Melo (although the gap isn't as significant as some suggest), all I was alluding to was that I like Melo's style of play.