Would LeBron consider free agency in 2014?

Real Deal

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Owner
LeBron James is “less-than-thrilled with certain aspects of the Heat organization,” and will consider opting out of his contract after the 2013-14 season if Pat Riley remains president of the organization, Fox Sports Ohio reports (via Pro Basketball Talk).

While James likes playing with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, he “doesn’t particularly care for the heavy-handed and disciplined style” of Riley, according to Fox Sports.

Should James take the free agency route in ’14, he’d have his eyes on returning to the Cleveland Cavaliers, sources tell Fox Sports.

A Cavs exec implied the team may not even be interested in bringing James back, telling the site that the organization wants to “build things the right way,” and create a culture similar to those in San Antonio or Oklahoma City, where the focus is on the team more than the superstar.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-01-26/lebron-james-pat-riley-miami-heat-cleveland-cavaliers-nba-free-agency

Now, before anyone says anything, yes...this is from Fox Sports Ohio. However, does it make sense? In two years, Wade will most definitely be showing more decline in his game, 32 years old, and with the new heavy luxury tax penalties and possible future salary decreases (due to that), the Heat may not have a big three by then (may have to let Bosh go, who knows).

What are the chances LeBron explores free agency in 2014, and strongly considers leaving Miami? Do the amount of championships matter, or is it inevitable? And, what are the chances he would ever return to Cleveland?

I wouldn't doubt it. However, Miami will have another star alongside him in Bosh who he'll hopefully have won a ring with by then. It really depends on a lot of stuff. Who knows what Norris Cole is going to become but he has a lot of potential and I don't see Dwyane retiring around that time either. Who knows though.

If we win a ring or 2, and he chooses to be a FA we'll just have to accept it.

It depends on if the Heat win a title or two in the next 3 seasons. If they do, I see him retiring in Miami, securing his legacy. Besides, by then he should still be one of the best players in the league (if not the best), Bosh will still be very effective, Wade should still be effective, they got some young guys locked up for a few more years, and they'll have some of the exceptions along with the amnesty to build an even better, more balanced team around the big 3. In other words, they'll still have a great chance at a title unless one of the big 3 goes down with a career ending injury.

Now, if they don't win a title, I could definitely see him leaving. Although, a year or two before then, there will be some serious roster and coaching changes if it's proven this experiment was a failure. So, we'd have to see the result of that new experiment to see if he'd stay or go.

If there is any possible friction between Bron/Riley, it won't matter if they win. I think LeBron is the kind of guy that has to see a method work that isn't his own before he truly, 110% buys into it. If they win and he sees the criticism disappear and his greatness truly realized by the league, media and fans, he won't care how disciplined Riley is.

Either LeBron said it himself shortly after leaving, or someone reported it that he would like to return to Cleveland as his career nears its end. So maybe he would consider returning to Cleveland earlier than planned. There is still quite a gap of time until then, during which the Cavs can continue to build through the draft and have their young talent impress. But I don't see James being disappointed enough to leave what they have set up on the Heat. Other super-teams/near super-teams have formed following his departure from Cleveland, so he would probably be reluctant to break away from Wade and Bosh to compete against them without those two at his side.

Just curious, what does Riley's style have to do with LeBron? Riles isn't coaching this team and if we don't win it this year I doubt Spo is going to be here either.

Riley still has a lot of pull on this team, like not allowing LeBron's entourage on the team plane after games (at least that's an example Wojo used about 20 games in last season). Also, Spo is a disciple of Riley and still seems like his puppet, so I'm sure the grueling practices and strong coaching discipline is still there, though I'm sure LeBron/Wade/Bosh have a little more slack than the rest of the team.

Either LeBron said it himself shortly after leaving, or someone reported it that he would like to return to Cleveland as his career nears its end. So maybe he would consider returning to Cleveland earlier than planned. There is still quite a gap of time until then, during which the Cavs can continue to build through the draft and have their young talent impress. But I don't see James being disappointed enough to leave what they have set up on the Heat. Other super-teams/near super-teams have formed following his departure from Cleveland, so he would probably be reluctant to break away from Wade and Bosh to compete against them without those two at his side.

Yeah but personally the other quote un quote super teams don't seem to be as well thought out as the Heat. Miami meshed so well in such a short time then went on to the Finals. I would bet my rent money that those other irrational, "superstar," paired teams will not follow suit.

With that said if LBJ was to return to Cleveland him and Kyrie Irving would fit well together.

Edited by Art Hues

If he wins a ring this year like I think he will, he may be content enough to move back to Cleveland by 2014. Especially if no more championships follow and the "heavy-handed, discipline style" practices continue. Big if though because this Miami team is going to stay contenders for a while. Then again, that didn't stop him from leaving Cleveland.

I have a hard time seeing either him or Dan Gilbert wanting any part of one another after everything. Also depends on what teams will have the cap space to sign him...we don't know if any of the true big markets will have the space to sign him.

Like some of you guys have said, I think it depends whether he wins a championship or not. When I say that, I mean I think if he has won a championship, he might want to stay and continue to win more, but if he hasn't he might be thinking its not working here and he'll move on to another team. I don't know though, there is still a lot of time and anything can happen leading up to then that will make Lebron want to leave or stay.

Like some of you guys have said, I think it depends whether he wins a championship or not. When I say that, I mean I think if he has won a championship, he might want to stay and continue to win more, but if he hasn't he might be thinking its not working here and he'll move on to another team. I don't know though, there is still a lot of time and anything can happen leading up to then that will make Lebron want to leave or stay.

Personally I think LeBron realizes how much effort Dan put into building a team around him; proof of that is how abysmal the team performed without their centerpiece. IMHO he would have never been able to appreciate any of Gilberts effort until he stepped away. He was able to do that when he traveled to South Beach but because OHIO stood by LBJ since he was in high-school he probably genuinely feels bad for handling his frustrations the way he did.

Personally I think LeBron realizes how much effort Dan put into building a team around him; proof of that is how abysmal the team performed without their centerpiece. IMHO he would have never been able to appreciate any of Gilberts effort until he stepped away. He was able to do that when he traveled to South Beach but because OHIO stood by LBJ since he was in high-school he probably genuinely feels bad for handling his frustrations the way he did.

Pretty sure his reaction would be the opposite considering that team last year was awful. The entire reason he left was because that front office blew multiple chances at landing another star...over JJ Hickson good Lord.

I'd be shocked if he didn't opt out. Money probably isn't a concern with him, I don't picture him leaving (doubt any team with necessary cap will be in a better situation than he has in Miami at that point), but I could definitely see him opting out, and being around 30, looking to get one more huge deal taking him until he is on the downswing of his career (mid 30's).

No and not a chance

First of all, why would LeBron James decide to leave Miami!? They're the best team in the league, he's playing with his best friend, he's having fun and it's the best team for him to win a ring... oh and let's not forget the hot bitches :lol:

Not a chance because 80-90% of the people of Cleveland hate him more than we hate Ben-Ladden.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Owner

ESPN put this up on their Facebook page today:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/395384_367532209932294_147262525292598_1314080_14652467_n.jpg

And this...

“I think it would be great, it would be fun to play in front of these fans again,” James said after the Heat’s practice Thursday at Quicken Loans Arena.

“I had a lot of fun times here. You can’t predict the future. Hopefully you continue to stay healthy. I’m here as a Miami player and I’m happy where I am now but I don’t rule that out in any sense. If I decide to come back, hopefully the fans will accept me….

“I don’t hold grudges, I hold them a little bit but I don’t hold them that long,” James said. “(Cavs owner Dan Gilbert) said what he said out of anger. He probably would want to take that back, but I made a mistake, too. There’s some things I’d want to take back as well. You learn from your mistakes and move on.”

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/16/lebron-says-he-would-consider-return-to-cavaliers-someday/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 1

He will without a doubt opt out, what he does after, well that's up in the air. If he wins a ring this year and next, maybe he ducks out.. definitely don't see him leaving if he is still ring-less though.

Between the attention, the extra money (term-wise) and the flexibility, he would really be stupid not to opt out when he can, seeing as he will likely still be the best player in the league at that time and about 30 years old, getting what will probably be his last huge max contract.

And this:

LeBron James: Playing for the Cavaliers again 'would be great'

LeBron James is under contract with the Miami Heat for two more seasons. After that, he is free to once again take his talents anywhere he pleases. Even back to Cleveland, a destination that James did not rule out when asked about it Thursday. James was back in his old home gym for practice ahead of the Heat's game against the Cavaliers on Friday night. When asked if he could see himself ever returning to the team he spurned on national television, James paused, then said he could.

“I think it would be great,” said James, who still has a home in nearby Bath, Ohio. “It would be fun to play in front of these fans again. I had a lot of fun times in my seven years here. You can't predict the future and hopefully I continue to stay healthy. I'm here as a Miami Heat player, and I'm happy where I am now, but I don't rule that out in no sense.”

Link

One guy was on ESPN I think he was a radio host from Cleveland and said he thinks LeBron is on a kind of mini PR campaign trying to change his image a bit. I don't see him leaving as long as D Wade is still playing.

The only reason he's saying this is because he's playing in Cleveland tonight. It only follows his continual attempts to make himself liked. I really hope the fans don't cheer him, because then they are just falling into his game.

If I was a Heat fan I'd be insulted that he's talking about this.