Baron Davis Suffers Setback; Not Expected Back Before All-Star Break

Baron Davis suffered a setback in his attempt to return from a herniated back disc. The Knicks now do not expect to have him back before the All-Star break.

"I think we had a little bit of a setback," Mike D'Antoni said. "It's safe to say. I don't know how bad."

D'Antoni said Davis is still "a week to 10 days out when the process restarts."

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/218810/Baron_Davis_Has_Setback_Not_Expected_Before_All_Star_Break#ixzz1ldo71mE3

Do the Knicks get more desperate in the trade market in hopes of finding a point guard or do they ride it out with Jeremy Lin, Iman Sumpert and Toney Douglas?

Davis is certainly not a reliable option at this point in time as you don't even know if he will be able to play. If he does ever make it onto the court, who knows how effective he is going to be considering his age, his injury history and the fact that he hasn't played for so long. Placing your hopes on his back is a disaster waiting to happen.

From what I've heard all day, it wasn't a setback as far as the disc is concerned, but he's experienced soreness after almost every practice and scrimmage he's taken part in. Dude is quite simply way out of shape. Tough after that long of a layoff.

From what I've heard all day, it wasn't a setback as far as the disc is concerned, but he's experienced soreness after almost every practice and scrimmage he's taken part in. Dude is quite simply way out of shape. Tough after that long of a layoff.

Well, he's out of shape because quite frankly he has a chronic and very serious back issue. Knicks can not expect him to play much, if ever, this season. It's that simple.

They must look around for PG options...

• Owner

I think Baron is hurt a bit more than he's telling anyone, and that elbow infection is BS. Anyone that knows a person with a herniated disc should understand why it would be very difficult for Baron to return to the sport, playing what will more than likely be big minutes. If there is more damage in there (and I'm just assuming there is), expectations should be lowered a few notches.

I think Baron is hurt a bit more than he's telling anyone, and that elbow infection is BS. Anyone that knows a person with a herniated disc should understand why it would be very difficult for Baron to return to the sport, playing what will more than likely be big minutes. If there is more damage in there (and I'm just assuming there is), expectations should be lowered a few notches.

Yeah. People don't seem to understand back injuries are much different than most other injuries. Not like he broke his leg or something. This shit is gonna linger. I hope he plays again, but I am seriously doubting he will ever play another NBA game.

• Owner

Yeah. People don't seem to understand back injuries are much different than most other injuries. Not like he broke his leg or something. This shit is gonna linger. I hope he plays again, but I am seriously doubting he will ever play another NBA game.

He will play again, but to expect much from him is asking a lot, if you consider his style.

Steve Nash has been solid, despite his back issues that have really limited him for years...but for one, Baron is no Steve Nash. Two, he doesn't play like him.

A ruptured disc, and a herniated disc, are two different things...so I'm not saying Baron is done. I'm just suspicious about the severity of the injury.