JR Smith to the Knicks?

Need4Sheed

The Knicks are closing in on a deal to sign free agent shooting guard J.R. Smith, the Daily News has learned. Smith began the season in China, but has been eyeing a return to the NBA once the lockout ended.

Smith's agent, Leon Rose, met with Garden Chairman James Dolan following Wednesday's Knicks' win over Sacramento to finalize a contract. It is believed that Smith, who has also attracted the interest of the Clippers, will receive the Knicks' $2.5 million exception. Rose also represents Anthony, who has lobbied the club to add Smith, an explosive scorer who can also be erratic at times. He has averaged 12.5 points per game over seven NBA seasons.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-knicks-closing-deal-add-free-agent-shooting-guard-smith-article-1.1023816

Crazy. Definitely thought he would be a Clipper. Feel like the Clipps are closer to a title than the Knicks are.

Well, that's not the only consideration players take into account when choosing a team...

Would prolly be Bill Walker getting cut, wouldn't need him, great news....

Lol, Assuming that is a joke. They'd probably cut Balkman.

This is pretty good news if it ends up happening. Knicks could use bench scoring. How's J.R. Smith's defense?

Well, that's not the only consideration players take into account when choosing a team...

Lol, Assuming that is a joke. They'd probably cut Balkman.

This is pretty good news if it ends up happening. Knicks could use bench scoring. How's J.R. Smith's defense?

Balkman is signed through next year and at the end of the day I'd prefer his defense off the bench if Jeffries goes down...

Looking at the roster and the emergence of Lin, Bibby is the true odd man out

Edited by flsh7718

No way they'd get rid of Bibby. He's actually played valuable minutes on this win streak. As in valuable, I mean he's played in meaningful minutes in the game. We'd have Shumpert and Douglas as our backup PG's...nightmare.

No way they'd get rid of Bibby. He's actually played valuable minutes on this win streak. As in valuable, I mean he's played in meaningful minutes in the game. We'd have Shumpert and Douglas as our backup PG's...nightmare.

Baron Davis

Bibby is 1 of 15 over the past 5 games, he has played no valuable minutes at all.

Baron Davis

Bibby is 1 of 15 over the past 5 games, he has played no valuable minutes at all.

Baron Davis may not come back for a while...if not a while he may not come back ever lol

Getting rid of Bibby wouldn't even be that bad. Lin/Shumpert mostly at the point, although, I like Shumpert so much more at the 2!!

Edited by JYD

• Owner

I have a feeling Mike Brown is spineless, didn't want to send Ron Artest to the bench and start Kobe at the three...or, he has this obsession with Derek Fisher because of his leadership (and nothing more, since he brings nothing else to the table) and is scared to alter the five he has now, and Smith won't want to back up Kobe most of the game.

Earlier in the month, or maybe in January, Smith did say that he would take less money because he knows he could play good enough to get an extension...so I doubt money was the issue, especially since all three teams (LAL, LAC and NYK) were limited in the amount they were/are offering.

• Like 1

ARTICLE . 02.16.2012. NY DAILY . KNICKS CLOSING IN ON DEAL TO ADD J.R. SMITH

• It is believed that Smith, who has also attracted the interest of the Clippers, will receive the Knicks' $2.5 million exception.
  • If Lin never got a chance two weeks ago he would have been the most likely candidate. Instead, someone from the group of Mike Bibby, Renaldo Balkman or Toney Douglas is in danger of being released. New York Daily News

Edited by Art Hues

I hate when news like this comes out, and then it's quiet for the rest of the day.. the pessimism kicks in

Yeah I don't get it. What's taking so long. There can't really be contract negotiations...the Knicks can only give that exception...

The Knicks will officially add free agent reserve shooting guard J.R. Smith to Linsanity today, making the hottest team in the NBA a deep team as well.

According to multiple sources, Smith, who played in China during the lockout and became eligible to sign an NBA deal on Wednesday, will be at the Garden tonight, but won’t make his debut until Sunday against the Mavericks.

The Knicks have to cut a player to make room for Smith and Renaldo Balkman, who has been out of the rotation since early January, is the expected candidate, according to a source. Coach Mike D’Antoni was never a big fan of Balkman, a throw-in to the trade with the Nuggets for Carmelo Anthony. Balkman has one remaining year at $1.8 million and could have been an amnesty casualty if the Knicks were still going for 2012 cap space.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/mr_smith_goes_to_the_garden_y34B2pjjv0Ugr9qMNCPAPP?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

TWITTER . 02.17.2012. ALEX KENNEDY . http://www.otrbasketball.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/dribble.gif

• Alex Kennedy: I just spoke to J.R. Smith. He confirmed that he's nearing a deal with the New York Knicks. Twitter
  • Things got so interesting Thursday that Smith hopped a plane from China to LAX, arriving at the airport in the late afternoon, where he was intercepted, his camp said, by a representative for the Knicks. Smith was apparently headed later in the evening to Las Vegas, and according to a source in Smith's family, the Knicks bought a ticket for their guy and sent him along, too. Oregonian
  • Smith tweeted Thursday that he was, "Watching the Clipper game in the airport," with the hashtag "#LoveTheUS." Also, his Twitter profile included a telling bio that read: "NYK? LAL? LAC?" Oregonian

Edited by Art Hues