Is Chris Paul the best closer in the game?

Flash

Watching him this year is this really hard to argue? The guy has just been money in crunch time. I don't care for any of these clutch stats but honestly I'd put him over everyone right now in that category.

• Owner

I'll still take the elite scorers (Kobe, Durant and Melo) over CP3, only because I feel more comfortable with one of them taking clutch shots over elite defensive players, and double teams. Kobe is struggling shooting the ball this season, though...so I might have to leave him out.

However, among PG's, it's either CP3 or Rubio. Personally, I think Rubio is doing pretty damn good in clutch situations, scoring OR creating for others.

Fair enough. Obviously those guys' reputations have to have them included in the discussion but right now I'd give CP3 the nod. His mid range jumper is probably better than anyone in the league right now and watching Kobe and KD this year they really haven't been to great closing games aside from Kobe's game winner the other day.

Edited by Flash

I'll still take the elite scorers (Kobe, Durant and Melo) over CP3, only because I feel more comfortable with one of them taking clutch shots over elite defensive players, and double teams. Kobe is struggling shooting the ball this season, though...so I might have to leave him out.

However, among PG's, it's either CP3 or Rubio. Personally, I think Rubio is doing pretty damn good in clutch situations, scoring OR creating for others.

Agreed. Just add Dirk to that list of elite clutch scorers and I think it's good. :)

Chris Paul is NOT the best closer in the game. One of the best, but not the best. I agree with:

However, I strongly disagree with this opinion:

:lol: @ comparing CP3 with Rubio. CP3 >>>> Rubio, not even close.

And to anyone who calls me a homer: F*CK OFF 'cause I just said: Chris Paul is NOT the best closer in the game!!!! :angry:

What about Lin?

:lol:

But really, I'd take Melo, Kobe, Durant and Wade over CP3. CP3's one of my favorite players, but I feel like the size of those other guys gives them such an advantage at the end of the game to get off a great shot.

So right now, even with these guys all struggling in the closing minutes of games and OT this year you wouldn't take CP3 over them? I'm talking right at this very moment, body of work aside.

Who's struggling in the closing minutes? You're not going to hit every single one. I'd still like my chances better with Wade, Kobe, Durant and Melo (in no order) at the end than CP3. I love CP3's game, but he's not the guy I'd want to have out there to hit a big shot (I mean, obviously, he's never a bad choice, lol). There's better options in the league.

I know, bro. Every now and then Rubio makes silly crunch time mistakes that kill his team.

A perfect example would be the Knicks game last week. He single-handedly cost his team a chance at winning that game. Obviously that is only one situation but I can't put Rubio next to CP3 as far as clutch PGs go. Gimmie Nash before Rubio all day.

Who's struggling in the closing minutes? You're not going to hit every single one. I'd still like my chances better with Wade, Kobe, Durant and Melo (in no order) at the end than CP3. I love CP3's game, but he's not the guy I'd want to have out there to hit a big shot (I mean, obviously, he's never a bad choice, lol). There's better options in the league.

Kobe has been pretty bad in the 4th quarter all year but it has to do with Brown's awful "give Kobe the ball, everyone else stand around" play selection imo

• Owner

I don't have to look to tell you that Rubio probably has made clutch shots at a higher percentage than CP3 (or as high). I've watched plenty of Minny games this year, probably 75% of them...and that's just his scoring. He has made big plays down the stretch as well, but oh well.

Kobe has been pretty bad in the 4th quarter all year but it has to do with Brown's awful "give Kobe the ball, everyone else stand around" play selection imo

Well, still, I'm taking Kobe over CP3 just based off history. Kobe's hit many big shots, obviously. CP3 has hit some big ones too, but Kobe is...Kobe.

The only thing that makes me hesitant is the fact that since his knee surgery, he has struggled to get to the rim on a consistent basis, along with drawing fouls near the rim. His midrange game is absolutely disgusting, he has the handles to get off any shot he wants, he's a dead-eye shooter from 3, he's incredible at creatng shots for others, great FT shooter, and he's one of the most efficient ballhandlers/decision makers in NBA history....but in crunch time, getting to the rim and drawing fouls is extremely important, and CP3 just isn't great there.

However, Melo doesn't offer much besides iso scoring in clutch situations, Wade tends to get sloppy with the ball and isn't a great clutch FT shooter, Kobe often times forces the issue with his shot instead of making the correct basketball play, and Durant isn't the greatst iso scorer and doesn't offer much else offensively in clutch situations. Dirk is a choice no one else has mentioned but he's an unbelievable clutch scorer in iso situations or in catch-and-shoot opportunities, Nash pretty much does the same things as Paul does, Pierce is a tremendous iso scorer in the clutch, Ray Allen is arguably the best catch-and-shoot player in the clutch in NBA history, and you can't forget about Ginobili who is one of the most underrated clutch players in NBA history.

I don't know, but Paul is definitely one of the 5 best or so in the NBA.

The only thing that makes me hesitant is the fact that since his knee surgery, he has struggled to get to the rim on a consistent basis, along with drawing fouls near the rim. His midrange game is absolutely disgusting, he has the handles to get off any shot he wants, he's a dead-eye shooter from 3, he's incredible at creatng shots for others, great FT shooter, and he's one of the most efficient ballhandlers/decision makers in NBA history....but in crunch time, getting to the rim and drawing fouls is extremely important, and CP3 just isn't great there.

However, Melo doesn't offer much besides iso scoring in clutch situations, Wade tends to get sloppy with the ball and isn't a great clutch FT shooter, Kobe often times forces the issue with his shot instead of making the correct basketball play, and Durant isn't the greatst iso scorer and doesn't offer much else offensively in clutch situations. Dirk is a choice no one else has mentioned but he's an unbelievable clutch scorer in iso situations or in catch-and-shoot opportunities, Nash pretty much does the same things as Paul does, Pierce is a tremendous iso scorer in the clutch, Ray Allen is arguably the best catch-and-shoot player in the clutch in NBA history, and you can't forget about Ginobili who is one of the most underrated clutch players in NBA history.

I don't know, but Paul is definitely one of the 5 best or so in the NBA.

Great post, I agree with pretty much everything.

• 2 months later...

Lies.

:lol: I'm being honest, man. I'm not even a CP3 fan. Yeah, he's on my team, ok but uhm.. I still don't like him! I don't hate him (prolly 'cause he's a Clipper) but I just can't stand his ego, and how he wants to be like Kobe and gets his game-winners blocked.. <_< And the guy's just too short! Who he thinks he is?! Iverson? I don't like him. Ten years from now Bledsoe gon' be >> than CP3. ;)

CP3 is still one clutch son of a gun tho'. And that's one more reason why I don't like him. Wish he had some more flaws! :lol:

Edited by Sħãlïq̵'