How good will/can Kyrie be?

Haven't really noticed but this kid is putting up sensational stats so far this year. The kid has Cleveland hovering around the playoffs right now, and while they won't get in he is a big reason they aren't dead last again this year (having players try/healthy helps also).

My question is posed to those who have watched him much more than I: what do you envision Kyrie as? Statistically, player comparisons, etc. Just interested in what everyone here thinks of him, because I don't have much to go off other than the few times I have seen him play and the stats.

I don't have any expectations yet but I see him being a Chris Paul type player with a little more emphasis on scoring than passing. I'm not saying he's there just yet, but I see his pace during games and it reminds me of Paul. He has some really slick moves and is a lot better at jump shooting than I expected. He's a great finisher at the rim too, especially in the big moments of games. I'm pretty sure he's in the top 25 in points per fourth quarter, which is very impressive. He's an all-around point guard, which is great to have going forward.

I have no clue what the Cavs are considering doing going forward. They have big decisions facing them: whether to keep Varejao, whether to be active in free agency or focus more on the draft, etc.

Personally, I'd love to see us keep Gee because Kyrie and him seem to play well together. If Gee turns into the player I think he could, that could be a really good backcourt moving forward. Since Varejao will probably be gone by the time we are contender material (hopefully we get there), we'll probably need a scoring big man for Tristan to play off. That leaves the hole at small forward, which is something we can go for in either the draft or free agency.

I think how good Kyrie can be will be determined once the Cavs plan is in place. Maybe 2 years from now...but for now, I'm enjoying his game. Great kid, great future ahead.

edit - Judging by how many times I used "great", goes to show how I feel about him on AND off the court.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest

Obviously I probably haven't seen a third of the games he has played that CF has, but a few things...

-Stylistically, he is basically a shorter hybrid of Wade and Westbrook. His explosiveness with his first step is quick like Westbrook, but smooth like Wade. He doesn't have that jerkiness to his movements like Westbrook does. Much like those two, he does by far his most work in and around the paint. He isn't nearly as vertically as explosive as those two, 'nor as strong in the upper body, so he mostly uses his body to create space, as well as little floaters.

-What makes him special compared to similar players who have came out the last few seasons is his jumpshooting ability. He doesn't use it a ton, but he has a very effective midrange and 3pt shot. He's shooting a 51.2% eFG on jumpers this season, with only 30% of them being assisted (which is fantastic). Taking nearly 3 3's a game and is shooting 42% on those. 86% from the FT line. His efficiency as a volume scoring rookie guard is better than anyone I can remember in recent memory. Extremely impressive.

-The rest of his game is similar to Rose's his first 2 seasons. He's a pretty good passer, but hasn't shown elite court vision or passing ability. He's an above average rebounder for his position, taking down nearly 4 per game. His defense is his biggest weakness right now, and caused Byron Scott to bench him often early in the season. That's ok, though...what should anyone expect from a guy who played only 11 games in college then came straight to the NBA playing major minutes?

-His ceiling is probably similar to what Rose is doing right now, which is pretty damn good.

• Like 1

Kyrie seems like a darn good player, and we know he is talented. I think it'll take a year or two before he becomes a great player, at the very least. We have to remember how young he is and how many games he missed at Duke w/ injury.

I definitely like what Cleveland is doing though, I think they have some nice pieces going forward. Man, if they could just get that star player, not even like a superstar but an all star, maybe a Joe Johnson type caliber player to go along with the other pieces they'd be good.

I still remember back in my senior year of high school(2010) my friend hooped aginst Kyrie in some summer league game or some shit. He's like "Yea bro he ain't even that good he barely did anything against me" Lmao he ended up at Duke & #1 overall pick

Not even trolling here in all seriousness, but Kyrie spent a lot of time this offseason down here and hung out with my best friend a few times. Dude does not want to be in Cleveland at all according to my boy. He was actually pissed about playing there from what I was told.

Obviously I wasn't there so I don't have the entire story but this guy has no reason at all to lie to me about something like that because he's not even a big NBA fan. Maybe he'll change his mind but that's just what I heard.

As for what he can turn into, a superstar to be honest. He's a great player and is only going to get better.

I don't have any expectations yet but I see him being a Chris Paul type player with a little more emphasis on scoring than passing.

I can surely agree with you on the comparison with an emphasis on scoring. I watched Irving earlier in the year and at times he seemed to force plays late in the game but that will will cease once he gets more experience in the league. Following that the game should slow down to him an a lot of those plays where he seems to be trying to carry the team will become a lot easier to him.

Interesting comparison you made as Byron Scott molded CP3 the same way he's molding Kyrie, coincidence I think not.