How would Dwight make out in 90's?

Need4Sheed

Yea I tend to agree with you as well, especially at 7'1. Dwight's athleticism is pretty ridiculous though so he's got he potential to be that good. Its just tough though because we really have no one to measure him up against because Shaq and Yao weren't really dominant when Dwight was coming up.

His man defense would get exposed against those guys, but in general i think he would still be statistically the same, and would still be a great defensive anchor. I think where Dwight would get exposed would be in the playoffs, where he would have to play a legit big man every night in a 7 game series, something he doesn't have to do right now.

Dwight's at least a full notch below those first 3 guys.

Mourning is a good comparison. Similar defensive impact, with Zo having a more well-rounded offensive game, and Howard being the considerably better rebounder. I also think he'd be on the same level as Ewing.

He's a big step up from Deke and Smits.

Dwight would be a more athletic Alonzo Mourning IMO had he played in the 90's.

No way would he be above Dream or Robinson since he doesn't have the skill-set that these 2 had and he wouldn't be as dominate as Shaq was especially in the late 90's. He could possible be equal to Ewing but even then I think Pat is better, he at least had a reliable mid range game for a big man and he was tougher IMO.

Zo is really the only guy I can compare him to both great defensively but had very little offensive game especially in their early years. Dwight is clearly better than Smits and Deke.

How would Dwight Howard make out playing in the 90's when the Center position was in full effect?

Match him up against the following...

•  
  • David Robinson
  • Shaq
  • Olajuwon
  • Alonzo Mourning
  • Patrick Ewing
  • Mutombo
  • Rik Smits

My list would probably go, in terms of who I'd want, in their prime....

1. Shaq

2. Olajuwon

3. Ewing

4. Robinson

5. Mourning

6. Mutombo

7. Smiths

Howard would probably fall between 4-6. It's tough though, all those guys were so close and so good.

Edited by JYD