Brandon Roy wants to return to basketball

• Owner

Hmm...

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Brandon+Roy+Portland+Trail+Blazers+v+Dallas+REig7zs5ccxl.jpg

Former Rookie of the Year and 3-time All-Star guard Brandon Roy, who recently retired from basketball due to a serious knee condition, has been entertaining the possibility of a comeback, telling Eurobasket, 'It's hard being away from the game. Don't be surprised if you see Brandon Roy make his way back to the court.'

The five-year veteran, who was selected sixth in the 2006 NBA Draft by the Portland Trail Blazers, retired on December 10, 2011, after suffering from ongoing trouble with his knees.

Lately, Roy has been working out in his hometown gym, preparing for a life changing possibility. 'It burns being away from the game and watching the entire season from the outside,' a frustrated Roy said as he followed the shortened 2011-12 NBA season from his living room couch.

According to sources close to the player, regardless of his knee problems, Roy's decision to retire wasn't all health related. 'There's something to it, but it's not the right time for me to get into it right now,' Roy said. 'I've been doing some treatment and I'm trying to leave the window open to returning to basketball.'

What's that all about? I could speculate here...

That's interesting...maybe he did it for the Blazers to get his big contract off the books?

As for him returning, I'd like to see it. Last season it was really hard to watch him play, and while he had that special playoff game, he was unbelievably bad the rest of that series. From my understanding his knees won't get much better, so I really can't see him making too big of an impact anywhere he goes. However, he is very smart, well-rounded and skilled, so even without the athleticism he can still be a good role player on a bunch of teams, but I wouldn't expect much.

• Like 1

What a surprise. A retired player wants to give the NBA a second chance. Couldnt have seen that coming

Honestly, I knew he was going to be back. Blazers just seem to have really bad luck in general, what kind of team makes the postseason for 21 years straight without winning anything? Even the Mavs won a title last year

We all knew he'd continue to try and get back on the court in the NBA. When you were that good for your entire life, and you have major injuries such as Roy, you're going to want to try to get back and play. No one wants to quit when they feel they still have much to accomplish.

I hope Roy makes a full comeback. I've always liked his game, so smooth. Such a shame what happened to him.

He should comeback, it's his dream. Play for a contender but don't play extended minutes. Maybe dont always play back2back's either. Just relax. I am almost like a doctor/preacher, i know how things should go.

Haha. If he could get healthy again, he could be a nice backup to Kobe in LA...He could come in and give quality minutes.

He should just get into becoming an analyst. He seemed like a real well-spoken, articulate guy. No reason to potential damage your knees even more. Gotta think about the future as much as it sucks to put the NBA behind you.