Will Charlotte Rename the Bobcats?

Mentch

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I saw this on another basketball site, and this one guy who's a Bobcats fan was telling us how they should bring the Hornets name back to Charlotte where it belongs. He said this because the Hornets are likely to leave New Orleans in the next few years and move to Seattle and change their name to the Sonics, which would leave the Hornets name open. Bobcats isnt a horrible name, but I liked the Hornets name better when the team was in Charlotte

• Owner

Just adds to more confusion for me. The Hornets just moved their team to New Orleans. Sonics moved to OKC.

If the Hornets end up changing their names to the Sonics (assuming they would move to Seattle), and the Bobcats change their name to the Hornets...well, you're going to have two teams that are using former team names that, basically, have nothing to do with their team history.

Just adds to more confusion for me. The Hornets just moved their team to New Orleans. Sonics moved to OKC.

If the Hornets end up changing their names to the Sonics (assuming they would move to Seattle), and the Bobcats change their name to the Hornets...well, you're going to have two teams that are using former team names that, basically, have nothing to do with their team history.

Yeah, very true...However...

The bobcats is a god awful name. I wish they would've come up with something else.

Edited by JYD

I agree with the part about the history. The only way to keep the history would be to move the Hornets franchise back to Charlotte and move the Bobcats to Seattle, but I really doubt anyone wants to move 2 teams just to keep the team's history

Honestly, I would be fine with the Hornets moving to Seattle and becoming the Sonics and the Bobcats staying put in terms of everything. I thought the person who originally brought it up though made a good point about the Hornets name being more important to the city. I dont see the Bobcats changing their name though, especially since most teams only change their names when they move to a different city

Edited by Mentch

If New Orleans moves to Seattle, they should come up with a different name other then the Sonics considering its not the same franchise.

The Sonics made the franchise colors and uniforms and name available to any future franchise when they moved out of OKC, it would be a shame if a team moved to Seattle and didnt take on the Sonics trademark

If New Orleans moves to Seattle, they should come up with a different name other then the Sonics considering its not the same franchise.

It doesn't matter that its not the same franchise. There is an example for a situation like this in the NHL with the name "Winnipeg Jets" . This is the old name of the Phoenix Coyotes, but its now used by the team PKA the Atlanta Thrashers.

It doesn't matter that its not the same franchise. There is an example for a situation like this in the NHL with the name "Winnipeg Jets" . This is the old name of the Phoenix Coyotes, but its now used by the team PKA the Atlanta Thrashers.

Thats true, but I personally wasn't a fan of using the same name for the new Winnipeg team. I just think if its a different team, then they shouldn't use the same name.