You now own the Knicks. What do you do?

Real Deal

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You have to approach this from a realistic mindstate too. Melo and Amar'e have never had lower trade value. And, plus, you have to understand that it's still early in the process.

So, the Last option for now. Still only 10 games in. Also, let's not forget who they've played the last 5-6 games. All teams really better than them at this point....

Melo/Amar'e have been in and out of the lineup all year, too, with injuries or whatever. Lin is still basically a rookie, he's got to continue to improve and build chemistry with these guys.

I haven't given up all hope just yet.. the team shows glimpses.

I think making another move is just setting you back further. You have to ride til the end of this season with this current roster and see where it takes you. If it's obvious it's not going to work after another 24 games, then you consider making a major overhaul in the off-season.

Fire Mike D'Antoni when the season is over as the Knicks miss the playoffs and you go balls out for Phil Jackson and make minor moves or get a potential All Star PG like Tyreke Evans to improve the roster. Melo + Amar'e ain't working. In the offseason the franchise is going to have to make a decision to build around Carmelo or Amar'e. Preferably I chose Carmelo to build my franchise around. And if possible I really ain't digging Jeremy Lin maybe it's due to ESPN that first two week giving this kid the biggest blow job I've seen up there where it felt like I was being force to believe he is a superstar. With that being said you go out and get a serviceable point guard that is young and example would be like Tyreke Evans since he is on the block even today Evans is on the block. Those would be my consideration on what to do with the Knicks if I was the owner.

• Like 1

Fire Mike D'Antoni when the season is over as the Knicks miss the playoffs and you go balls out for Phil Jackson and make minor moves or get a potential All Star PG like Tyreke Evans to improve the roster. Melo + Amar'e ain't working. In the offseason the franchise is going to have to make a decision to build around Carmelo or Amar'e. Preferably I chose Carmelo to build my franchise around. And if possible I really ain't digging Jeremy Lin maybe it's due to ESPN that first two week giving this kid the biggest blow job I've seen up there where it felt like I was being force to believe he is a superstar. With that being said you go out and get a serviceable point guard that is young and example would be like Tyreke Evans since he is on the block even today Evans is on the block. Those would be my consideration on what to do with the Knicks if I was the owner.

No one said he was a superstar. He was playing the best basketball for about 10 days of anyone in the NBA, but never was he a superstar, lol. Once people learned how to defend him and he played better teams, he came down to earth. In this system he can still be a sold 15/7 guy though which is fine (and limit the turnovers)...

Secondly, I think your plan isn't bad. The only thing I see no way in hell Phil Jackson comes out of retirement to step into this mess.

Edited by JYD

I feel like some of the options are dependent on one another.. trade Melo, you're going to want to keep Amar'e/Lin/D'Antoni to run the offense that caters to their abilities. Keep Melo, you're going to want to trade Amar'e/Lin, fire D'Antoni, and then go ahead and find players who will defer completely to Melo on offense and make up for him on defense.

What would I do, personally? I'd trade Melo for the first acceptable package offered.. grab a player who fits the system, plays a little defense, and grab some youngsters and picks in the process (would the Sixers do this for Iggy/Turner/pick(s)? Probably not, but it's something I'd do without thinking twice). I'd fire Grunwald, beg Donnie to return and give him full control of what he does best.. build a winning roster. I'd put a restraining order on James Dolan and Isiah Thomas. Stay away. I'd lower ticket prices and get real fans back in the building. I'd hire Charles Oakley to shit kick Amar'e any time he ruins a defensive set. I'd do a lot of things.. none of which are being done now. James Dolan doesn't care about winning, only about making money.

/rant

I feel like some of the options are dependent on one another.. trade Melo, you're going to want to keep Amar'e/Lin/D'Antoni to run the offense that caters to their abilities. Keep Melo, you're going to want to trade Amar'e/Lin, fire D'Antoni, and then go ahead and find players who will defer completely to Melo on offense and make up for him on defense.

What would I do, personally? I'd trade Melo for the first acceptable package offered.. grab a player who fits the system, plays a little defense, and grab some youngsters and picks in the process (would the Sixers do this for Iggy/Turner/pick(s)? Probably not, but it's something I'd do without thinking twice). I'd fire Grunwald, beg Donnie to return and give him full control of what he does best.. build a winning roster. I'd put a restraining order on James Dolan and Isiah Thomas. Stay away. I'd lower ticket prices and get real fans back in the building. I'd hire Charles Oakley to shit kick Amar'e any time he ruins a defensive set. I'd do a lot of things.. none of which are being done now. James Dolan doesn't care about winning, only about making money.

/rant

Lol, all of that is ideal. Although idk why you have to trade Lin if you keep Carmelo because you still need a PG and Lin is proven to me he deserves a starting spot in the NBA.

I think the Knicks biggest mistake was going after Anthony. Should've went for CP3 or Deron Williams instead of Melo. SMH.

Lol, all of that is ideal. Although idk why you have to trade Lin if you keep Carmelo because you still need a PG and Lin is proven to me he deserves a starting spot in the NBA.

It's been the Lin and Melo show lately, and you see how far it's gotten us.. neither of them play defense, and Lin is a drive and kick.. Melo has proven he needs an iso set on the wing to score effectively, and he isn't getting those looks with a Lin at PG. Andre Miller would be perfect running alongside Melo in an iso offense.

Lin would be great with any high tempo, drive and kick offense.. but that just simply isn't what an offense would be with Melo at the forefront

I'd beg Donnie Walsh for forgiveness and give the reigns to competent a GM, then sit back and watch.

Wow looking back I see this was already posted, I stopped reading that post after trade Melo for first acceptable package..

When you are comparing Melo to Marbury, I can't take you seriously

Edited by fish7718

I'd beg Donnie Walsh for forgiveness and give the reigns to competent a GM, then sit back and watch.

Wow looking back I see this was already posted, I stopped reading that post after trade Melo for first acceptable package..

When you are comparing Melo to Marbury, I can't take you seriously

Stop drinking the kool aid, dude is a cancer... I'd be interested in hearing how he isnt like Starbury lol

I would transition back to the game plan when Amare Stoudemire was the, "center," and leader of this team. All the offense has to go through him as when it did the Knicks seemed most successful.

Melo isn't a cancer, he was winning 50+ games yearly with the Nuggets. I don't think personnel is the main issue here as much as it is the coach, except I would cut JR Smith. Your answer to everything can't be "we need more spacing, and just more effort".

Absolutely garbage coach, been saying it since before he left Phoenix. Get a new coach in there after the season, and see what happens. A coach that will implement an ACTUAL system, not just space the floor and take turns shooting.

Melo was winning games because that team was better when it was centered around him. Here there's too many pieces for him to get the ball as much as he likes.

Trade him for Iggy or Granger along with other pieces that will come with those guys. You'll see an improvement in this team right off the bat.

Edited by Flash

Get rid of D'Antoni

Get a new GM. Kupchack doesn't seem happy in LA right now, give him a call at the end of the season. Tell him he has the money to make the team a winner, he runs the team, make it clear that missing the playoffs is not an option. Get rid of the entire front office while you're at it, and put people that know what they're doing in charge.

Get basically anyone you can to coach. Unfortunately the good ones are tied up. Adelman isn't leaving Minny, Scott is in Cleveland, I would be beside myself if Chicago didn't give Thibs a nice big extension, Collins isn't leaving Philly, Carlisle isn't going anywhere, Spo isn't going anywhere yet, Doc isn't getting the boot, etc etc etc. So where do you go? Well, look at former coaches that will make players work. Larry Brown, Phil Jackson, Jerry Sloan, etc would demand the maximum team effort from the whole team.

Explore the value of Melo/Lin. I said when the Knicks made the trade that the Melo move wasn't worth it. Not even close to it. As for Lin, just see if you can get a few pieces for him, since Melo/Lin/Amare cannot work in New York. Two are awful perimeter defenders and one is a mediocre post defender.

I think that we have now no choice : we have to get rid of either Melo or D'Antoni. As a matter of fact it is now clear that Melo and D'Antoni are just totally incompatible. Which is not surprising as D'Antoni is all about full court offense and quick shots while Melo prefers half court offense and isos (like most superstars anyhow). If we wanna win one of them has to go. And if I owned the Knicks I would definitely get rid of D'Antoni. I've been thinking that for quite a while now, and I haven't changed my mind even during the Linsanity thing.

It's simple let's see what would happen if we'd get rid of Melo : D'Antoni's system could work almost to perfection again thanks to players like Stat and Lin who's a Nash like PG (but certainly not as good as Nash YET..). And we could become, with time, a Suns like team, a team with a lot of offense, quick shots but with also no defense and no half court offense. So we certainly would improve drastically and could a top NBA team again but with no defense and no half court offense I doubt that we could ever get a ring.

Now what would happen if we'd get rid of D'Antoni : well it depends on what kind of coach we would get of course. But I hope that we would get a defensive minded coach this time. No matter what I don't think we could get a worse coach than Mike.. Cause honestly I've defended him a lot but now I'm just tired of this guy. I have some respect for his system and the success that he had in the past, I give credit when credit is due but he has a lot of major flaws nonetheless. Besides his system D'Antoni has nothing to bring on the table. He's terrible at adjustments and is just like Mike Brown in the money time, he tells his star to get the ball and do something with it and that's it. That's not what you want from a real NBA HEAD coach. And it is definitely clear that he doesn't belong in NY. At least for me.

And with a real head coach, a coach who knows about defense, half court offense and how to create a real chemistry between his players, I am 100% sure that our team could become a REAL contender just as it is now. Melo is not the problem. Quite the opposite we NEED players like Melo to win games. Isolation is not always a negative thing. Everyone who watched the Jordan Bulls know that there was no triangle at the end of games, it was all about "give the ball to Michael" (except that Jax would CREATE something for Michael and not tell him "get the ball and do something" like D'Antoni...). Same thing with all the greatest superstars, the greatest leaders, like Bird, Kobe, Duncan, etc... You NEED isos in the NBA. Not too much isos, definitely not, but you need some at times, there is no doubt about it.

So I have no doubt that the team would improve drastically without Melo but we would have no chance to win a ring without him. We would have lost our leader and you cannot win in the NBA without a true leader, a true superstar. That's what we saw in Phoenix anyhow (neither Nash or Star are what I would call a real leader). A player that can carry his team on his shoulders when it needs it the most. A player that knows how to be collective of course but also knows to use iso. Actually a player who knows WHEN to be collective and when to use iso. Which is why I HIGHLY disagree with the people who think that the Nuggets won the trade last year... Cause as good as they are now they also have 0 chance to win without a leader. And it's hard to get real leaders today in the NBA... We have that player now. So even if we're not playing very well now we are nonetheless WAY much closer to a ring than the Nuggets. As weird as it might seem.

So for all these reasons I would get rid of D'Antoni right now. Personally I would love to get Riley back to NY but... I know that it'll never happen. Phil said he doesn't want to get back but we never know... In the mean time, if I owned the Knicks, I'd offer Jeff Van Gundy the coach job. He's my second fav Knicks coach ever and I would love to see him back. Or Ewing actually, why not ? He played for both Riley and Vun Gundy, he deserves a chance as a head coach, and it would be a great way to show him our gratitude for all the great years he offered us as a player, after all he is the best Knicks of All Time. Besides I clearly remember that we started to suck right after we traded Ewing in 2000 and Shaq said at the time : "this is what happens when you trade a legend"... So maybe we need our legend back to start winning again.

• Like 3

What has Melo ever proven to anyone to make you think he's capable of leading a team to a title? He's a completely one-dimensional player who doesn't play defense all the time and is just a volume scorer. He's one of the most overrated players in league history to be quite honest.

Those Denver teams were loaded and were constructed perfectly and were good enough to win a title. This Knicks team just doesn't fit Melo at all. You can't just suddenly unload all these different guys just to build around Melo.

Mike D'Antoni and his system have proven more than Melo has to this point.

This team has a guy who can score at will in STAT. We saw it last night. He was efficient, hitting his mid range jumper but then what happened? The black hole known as Melo had seen enough and decided it was time to get his and threw up a ridiculous contested shot from the baseline and STAT was never heard from again last night.

Melo is only effective when the ball is in his hands. And at the end of the day, just look at NY's winning % before and after he got there.

And lastly..don't insult Steve Nash like that. Jeremy Lin is not a "Nash-like" PG nor will he EVER be.

Edited by Flash

Stop drinking the kool aid, dude is a cancer... I'd be interested in hearing how he isnt like Starbury lol

Dude never missed the playoffs in career. To compare him to Marbury who was just absolute garbage when he was here is silly. Melo at the very worst is still an overpaid top 10 scorer.

Dude never missed the playoffs in career. To compare him to Marbury who was just absolute garbage when he was here is silly. Melo at the very worst is still an overpaid top 10 scorer.

Melo first 1.5 years:

26.3 Points (46%), 6.7 Rebounds, 3.0 Assists

21.3 Points (40%), 5.9 Rebounds, 3.8 Assists

Marbs first 1.5 years:

19.8 Points (43%), 3.1 Rebounds, 9.3 Assists

21.7 Points (46%), 3.0 Rebounds, 8.1 Assists

Similarities: Selfish, ME players.. don't make teammates better.. bad leaders.. sulking.. if anything, dude, you could say that Marbs was the better player through his first season and a half.. you have to keep in mind, crazy [expletive] Marbury didn't come out until longer in his Knicks tenure.

You can't say Melo is a top 10 scorer when he's shooting 40% and can't get anything going. At this moment in time, there's no way he's a top 10.

Some of the replies in this thread have me scratching my head. From comments like "cut J.R. Smith" and you'd hire "JVG again"...Lol...

You do realize J.R. Smith has played 10 games, and Jeff Van Gundy would NEVER take this job. Lmao.

And Marbury was a very good player, Fish you are underrating him. Selfish? Yes. But there was a time he was one of the better players in the NBA.

Edited by JYD

Lol if we are comparing him to Marbury when we first got him, not that far off, if you are comparing him to Marbury in Franbury/Jeffries/Jordan era, then sorry you are very mistaken. I'm not gonna sit in the thread and defend melo because I too have been disapointed but the way some people have trashed him is just hilarious.

Comparing assists from PG to SF, LOL

Lol if we are comparing him to Marbury when we first got him, not that far off, if you are comparing him to Marbury in Franbury/Jeffries/Jordan era, then sorry you are very mistaken.

I'm comparing him to Marbury through 1.5 years. It's up to him to change the next few seasons.

Comparing assists from PG to SF, LOL

All I did was compare the big three stats.. but considering Melo was asked to play point forward to start the year and couldn't, I don't think it's terribly wrongful anyhow.

Marbs scored, dished, and even played some D. He didn't become a completely horrendous player until he went nuts / Isiah got to him / D'Antoni annexed him. But even in his prime, he wasn't a winner or leader and lacked that extra 'something'. Good, selfish players.