Saints punishment includes year suspension for Sean Payton

Lkr

The NFL came down hard on the New Orleans Saints on Wednesday.

Saints coach Sean Payton has been suspended for one year, former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was suspended indefinitely, general manager Mickey Loomis was suspended for eight regular-season games, the team was fined $500,000 and lost two second-round draft picks (one in 2012 and '13) as a result of a bounty program conducted by the team during the 2009-11 seasons.

Details of an NFL investigation released at the beginning on March reported that the Saints' bounty program gave thousands of dollars in payoffs to players for hits that knocked targeted opponents out of games. The NFL said the amounts reached their height in 2009, the season the Saints won the Super Bowl.

The league said between 22 and 27 Saints defensive players were involved in the program.

Williams, now defensive coordinator of the Rams, has admitted to and apologized for running the program.

Payton and Loomis apologized and took the blame for violations that "happened under our watch," but not until almost a week after the NFL pointed to them for failing to stop the program.

Goodell has frequently taken a hard line on any action that threatens player safety. He suspended Detroit's Ndamukong Suh for two games for stomping on an opponent last season; banned Pittsburgh's James Harrison for one game after a series of flagrant hits that culminated in a collision with Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy's helmet; and has ramped up the amount of fines for what the league terms "egregious hits."

Goodell fined the New England Patriots $250,000 and their coach, Bill Belichick, $500,000 for the Spygate scandal in 2007, when the team was caught illegally videotaping the Jets' sideline. New England also was stripped of a first-round draft pick.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7718136/sean-payton-new-orleans-saints-banned-one-year-bounties

Bit excessive imo

I can understand why Williams was suspended indefinitely, because he ran the program, but why suspend Sean Payton? He had nothing to do with it, he just didnt inform the league when he knew about it. I dont see why everyone frowns upon not turning people in, maybe the guy just doesnt want to be a snitch damn

It should have been much more.

Two 2nd round picks? It should have been two 1st round picks, for the next two seasons, not including their 1st that the Patriots now own.

Goodell is a phaggot.

If you think this should be more, Belicheat should have received a lifetime ban from football

• Like 1

I can understand why Williams was suspended indefinitely, because he ran the program, but why suspend Sean Payton? He had nothing to do with it, he just didnt inform the league when he knew about it. I dont see why everyone frowns upon not turning people in, maybe the guy just doesnt want to be a snitch damn

Dude he was the head coach of the team. There is no way he didn't have a big part in it or was clueless to wtf was going on in his locker room. Personally I love how hard the coaches and team has been hammered for this, but I do wish like ECN that at least a first should have been taken not just two seconds.

If you think this should be more, Belicheat should have received a lifetime ban from football

LOL Warren Sapp just said on twitter that Shockey was the snitch

Yes, filming football games with a new rule change to the video taping procedures is on the same level as paying players to go out of their way to not only try and inflict pain on other players (which is fine), but to try and deliberately injure them and end their career.

Strong logic.

Warren Sapp is a tool, so his word means very little. He should stick to beating up women, something he knows a lot about.

i would have taken away two firsts along with the punishments they got. they had it coming. maybe they'll show a bit more respect to there fellow NFL players that they were trying to injure. Were any defensive players suspended. I could name atleast a few who it was pretty obvious when they were playing that they were trying to injure guys.