Game of Thrones - Season 2 Thread

• 3 weeks later...

I just caught up with the first 3 episodes and it looks like they are deviating from the books as I've noticed more differences in the first 3 episodes of season 2 than I did in all of season 1.

Part of me likes this because now I don't know exactly what to expect and how everything will go down, but another part of me hopes they don't stray too far since I absolutely love the books.

I do know that the last half of this season is going to be awesome, regardless of what they do. I'm expecting one more slower episode to establish the story and then from episode 5 on it will be action packed.

I love the dragon chick, and the little girl lol

If you think Arya is awesome now, just wait till later.

I just caught up with the first 3 episodes and it looks like they are deviating from the books as I've noticed more differences in the first 3 episodes of season 2 than I did in all of season 1.

Part of me likes this because now I don't know exactly what to expect and how everything will go down, but another part of me hopes they don't stray too far since I absolutely love the books.

I do know that the last half of this season is going to be awesome, regardless of what they do. I'm expecting one more slower episode to establish the story and then from episode 5 on it will be action packed.

I'm assuming you read all 5 books?

I can't really comment on the differences between the book and the show since I haven't watched beyond the first episode yet (even that I haven't gotten through with), but keeping up with the casting and such this was expected. So far I've only noticed the scene with Jaime where he wasn't supposed to be having one yet, but apparently they didn't want the viewers who haven't read the books to forget him so that made sense. They cut out a couple of important characters too with the Blackfish, Edmure, Ramsay, the Reeds, etc. Not sure how its all going to work but I'm still intrigued.

Season 2 does take quite a while to set up, it was slower than the first book that set up the entire series but there are so many characters to introduce that it made sense. From the book's standpoint, the first two were interchangeable on which one was better. I've read up on the production of the ending and it sounds like it won't be anything short of fantastic.

Edited by Dash

I'm assuming you read all 5 books?

Just picked up the 5th one the other day but haven't started it yet. I'm re-reading the first four before starting the 5th since it had been a while since I read them. I also didn't have the time earlier in the year but my schedule is a lot more open now.

On my second read through I'm about 400 pages into A Storm of Swords.

I can't really comment on the differences between the book and the show since I haven't watched beyond the first episode yet (even that I haven't gotten through with), but keeping up with the casting and such this was expected. So far I've only noticed the scene with Jaime where he wasn't supposed to be having one yet, but apparently they didn't want the viewers who haven't read the books to forget him so that made sense. They cut out a couple of important characters too with the Blackfish, Edmure, Ramsay, the Reeds, etc. Not sure how its all going to work but I'm still intrigued.

Is it for sure that they cut out the Reeds? I know they haven't introduced them yet and if they followed the book to a tee they would be in the show by now, but I was kind of hoping that they were just going to introduce them at a later time.

I don't want to spoil anything for anybody who hasn't read the books so I won't get into any sort of detail, but it will be interesting how they handle Bran's story if the Reeds are in fact not in the show since there will need to be fairly major changes.

Season 2 does take quite a while to set up, it was slower than the first book that set up the entire series but there are so many characters to introduce that it made sense. From the book's standpoint, the first two were interchangeable on which one was better. I've read up on the production of the ending and it sounds like it won't be anything short of fantastic.

Agree with that, but it was well worth the wait as I loved the ending, especially the Jon and Arya parts that really set the tone for the rest of their stories.

Just picked up the 5th one the other day but haven't started it yet. I'm re-reading the first four before starting the 5th since it had been a while since I read them. I also didn't have the time earlier in the year but my schedule is a lot more open now.

On my second read through I'm about 400 pages into A Storm of Swords.

Gotcha.

I'll be rereading the series myself over the summer once I'm through the books I'm on now. This time I won't make the mistake or reading the 4th book. -_-

Is it for sure that they cut out the Reeds? I know they haven't introduced them yet and if they followed the book to a tee they would be in the show by now, but I was kind of hoping that they were just going to introduce them at a later time.

I don't want to spoil anything for anybody who hasn't read the books so I won't get into any sort of detail, but it will be interesting how they handle Bran's story if the Reeds are in fact not in the show since there will need to be fairly major changes.

Speculation is that Osha was going to take over their roles but you and I both know how difficult that would be work out. I was just googling for recent casting news and found this gem:

Today at the book signing in Lisbon I asked him if he knew about the Reeds. He said that they hadn't been casst yet and that they were delaying the characters a bit

So its possible that we can be seeing them later in the season, possibly even a couple other characters (at least I hope so) that haven't been casted yet. Could just be BS but at least there is some hope.

Edited by Dash

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WOW, didn't read the books so I guess BFT won't be surprised but HOLY SHIT :o tbh, I don't even want to read the books, the TV series is amazing alone, I might look into the books after but the hour I spend watching it, completely [expletive]ing worth it. Season 1 was meh, wasn't really feeling it...season 2 has been amazing, every episode just getting better and better...

Not related to Season 2, but I just started reading the first book. I plan to finish it up and then rewatch Season 1. I'll probably do the same with Season 2 since the books are so long.

WOW, didn't read the books so I guess BFT won't be surprised but HOLY SHIT :o tbh, I don't even want to read the books, the TV series is amazing alone, I might look into the books after but the hour I spend watching it, completely [expletive]ing worth it. Season 1 was meh, wasn't really feeling it...season 2 has been amazing, every episode just getting better and better...

To be honest, even if you have read the second book it wouldn't make much of a difference. The first season was basically a carbon copy of the first book, but they are using the second book as more of a loose guideline than anything for this season.

For instance, the whole Arya/Tywin Lannister storyline (which I love, by the way, very well done and Maisie Williams is probably the most talented child actor I've seen in a long, long time) doesn't happen in the book at all. The whole story with Jon has been fairly different as well. He still meets Ygritte in the book and he doesn't kill her, but other than that it hasn't really followed the book much. Daenerys story in Qarth is much different as well.

So yeah, even though I've read the books (well, first four at least, still haven't gotten around to reading the 5th yet) and have a general understanding of where the major storylines are headed, I still don't know fully what to expect with each episode. I have absolutely no idea where they are going with some of the storylines.

To be honest, even if you have read the second book it wouldn't make much of a difference. The first season was basically a carbon copy of the first book, but they are using the second book as more of a loose guideline than anything for this season.

For instance, the whole Arya/Tywin Lannister storyline (which I love, by the way, very well done and Maisie Williams is probably the most talented child actor I've seen in a long, long time) doesn't happen in the book at all. The whole story with Jon has been fairly different as well. He still meets Ygritte in the book and he doesn't kill her, but other than that it hasn't really followed the book much. Daenerys story in Qarth is much different as well.

So yeah, even though I've read the books (well, first four at least, still haven't gotten around to reading the 5th yet) and have a general understanding of where the major storylines are headed, I still don't know fully what to expect with each episode. I have absolutely no idea where they are going with some of the storylines.

Oh gotcha, maybe I should start reading then, I'm safe to read the entire first book without spoiling anything?

BTW the Arya/Tywin scenes are amazing and yes Maisie Williams is astounding lol every scene she does is just perfect. My favorite part of the last episode is when she sits down to eat and he goes "You must have not been fed much" and she delivers her line as shes shoving the food down her throat "No I ate, just didn't grow" not the exact lines, and not really amazing dialogue, just delivered perfectly. I can't get enough of those two...

Yeah, you can read the first book and it won't spoil anything for the 2nd as far as I can remember. There may be a very minor thing here or there (and even then I don't think there is), but there is nothing of major consequnce that will be spoiled by reading the first book.

I really do reccommend the books if you enjoy reading. I really enjoy the show, but it doesn't compare to the books in my opinion. There is just so much more detail and backstory in the books that you can't convey in tv medium. I've always loved reading, though, so I may be bias towards books, haha.

And completely agree on your second paragraph. That was my favourite scene as well. Might even have been my favourite scene of the entire season thus far. The Arya chapters are my favourite parts of the books so far and even though her story has changed in the show, they are still my favourite parts of the show as well (although Dinklage does a fantastic job as Tyrion too). I'm really enjoying the interaction between Arya and Tywin. Not only are they doing a great job of just entertaining me, but they also use those two as a way of delivering some backstory that would otherwise be difficult, such as the Aegon Targaryen stuff last night.

If its that different than the books then I might go ahead an watch, I haven't been able to bring myself to watch beyond the first episode this season. I'm mainly just waiting to see the ending.

BFT are you aware of the R + L = theory?

If its that different than the books then I might go ahead an watch, I haven't been able to bring myself to watch beyond the first episode this season. I'm mainly just waiting to see the ending.

It is different enough from the book that people who have read them can still be surprised at points, but close enough that it doesn't take away from what GRRM wrote. I think it is worth watching, even if you knoew the major plot points.

BFT are you aware of the R + L = theory?

I'm aware of what it is, but I haven't really read anything about it. I tend to stay away from those type of things until I've finished a series. I realize it is only speculation but I don't want to read a theory and then have it turn around and end up being true as it ruins some of the surprise for me.

Basically, I ignore it if I don't think of it myself beforehand.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

season 1 was a ton better than season 2 imo. the first half of season 2 had great build up, but it kinda fell flat on its face toward the end. obviously this is going to happen since it is setting up for the next few seasons, but it just didn't feel as amazing as the first season. for example, when ned died in the first season, that was an oh shit i need more of this moment. the end of season 2 was kinda like ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

for example, when ned died in the first season, that was an oh shit i need more of this moment. the end of season 2 was kinda like ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh

You will definitely have plenty of those moments in the 3rd season, assuming you don't read the books prior to watching the season.

From what I gather the 3rd book will be split into two season (or making season 3 and the first half of season 4 the 3rd book and the second half of season 4 the 4th book) and if they do extend the 3rd book into two seasons (or even 1.5 seasons) the 3rd season finale will be a much greater "oh shit" moment than anything in the first or second season, assuming it ends where I think it will (and I see no reason why it shouldn't).

The 3rd book is most people's favourite and there is a lot of shit that goes down that will make Ned's death seem like a "meh" moment.

You will definitely have plenty of those moments in the 3rd season, assuming you don't read the books prior to watching the season.

From what I gather the 3rd book will be split into two season (or making season 3 and the first half of season 4 the 3rd book and the second half of season 4 the 4th book) and if they do extend the 3rd book into two seasons (or even 1.5 seasons) the 3rd season finale will be a much greater "oh shit" moment than anything in the first or second season, assuming it ends where I think it will (and I see no reason why it shouldn't).

The 3rd book is most people's favourite and there is a lot of shit that goes down that will make Ned's death seem like a "meh" moment.

well i need the bart scott gif then. from what i heard the third book is being split for seasons 3 and 4. i started reading the first book the other day, and if i sit down and read it, i could probably have it done within a few days

• 4 weeks later...

This show is amazing, I watched all season 1 on dvd and then watch season 2. It sucks though that we have to wait like a year or 8 months to watch season 3 :/ what if the world comes to an end?...

You'd better start reading the books!