Jason Kidd: "I want to play another year"

Jason Kidd has played in 24 career homecoming games on the road against the Golden State Warriors in his 18 seasons with the Dallas Mavericks, Phoenix Suns and New Jersey Nets.

Yet Kidd insisted Wednesday, on the eve of the Mavericks' second and final visit of the season to Golden State, that Thursday night's nationally televised showdown on TNT won't be his last game on Oakland hardwood.

"I want to play another year," Kidd told ESPN.com.

Despite turning 39 on March 23 and struggling throughout this lockout-shortened season with various back, calf and groin ailments that have shelved him for 15 games -- including the Mavericks' previous trip to Oakland on March 10 -- Kidd says he's determined to play on to try to help Dallas add to the breakthrough championship it won last season.

Sources with knowledge of the Mavericks' thinking likewise indicate that management is determined to find a way to re-sign the former Cal star in free agency even amid the roster clearout that Dallas has planned to create the requisite salary-cap space to pursue Dallas-area native Deron Williams in free agency this summer. Kidd's most recent three-year contract expires at season's end, but he has long been regarded as one of the Mavs' point men for recruiting free agents since returning to Dallas in 2008. Sources say, furthermore, that Kidd has a good relationship with Williams from their time playing together on Team USA.

One source close to the situation, asked if bringing Kidd back remains part of the Mavs' plans, said: "Absolutely."

Furthermore, team sources say the 10-time All-Star would happily move into a backup role should the Mavs win the Williams sweepstakes.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/7802491/dallas-mavericks-jason-kidd-says-want-play-another-year

I'm honestly shocked about this. I thought it was pretty much a guarantee that he would retire.

His time as a starter is all but done, though. He could still make for an excellent backup.

For what its worth according to Marc Stein, of ESPN, Steve Nash admitted via a phone interview that he wants to ink a three year deal after this season.

• 2 weeks later...