Ray Allen thinks guys should be paid to play in Olympics

Art

ARTICLE . 04.11.2012. .NBC SPORTS . RAY ALLEN THINKS GUYS SHOULD BE PAYED TO PLAY IN OLYMPICS.

• "You talk about the patriotism that guys should want to play for, but you (need to) find a way to entice the guys," Allen said. "It's not the easiest thing in the world if you play deep in the playoffs and then you get two, three weeks off and then you start training again to play more basketball where it requires you to be away from home and in another country. It's fun, but your body does need a break. NBC Sports . Kurt Helin
  • "Everybody says, 'Play for your country.' But (NBA players are) commodities, your businesses. You think about it, you do camps in the summer, you have various opportunities to make money. When you go overseas and play basketball, you lose those opportunties, what you may make… If I'm an accountant and I get outsourced by my firm, I'm going to make some money somewhere else." NBC Sports . Kurt Helin
  • "If it's licensing," Allen said. "(The players) are wearing jerseys and (others, but not the players, are) making money off it. Something (should be done) just to say to the guys, 'Hey, you guys are spending this much time, 40 days, playing basketball, we're paying for some type service that you provide, that you're getting some kind of kickback'… I know that you sell unlimited jerseys so I think the players should get some piece of that." NBC Sports . Kurt Helin

Lame. I don't understand how money makes it enticing. Most of the guys are getting 15-20 million dollars per year that play on the USA olympic team. Should we throw them an extra 1 million? Will that excite them? Lolz.

Tons of Olympians make only what the government gives them depending on what they place. Some athletes train all year round and still have to work jobs just to support the travel and yet they are complaining about playoffs where they make millions? Talk about not understanding the entire situation of what the Olympics represents.

I think we should discuss paying college athletes before we discuss paying olympians, what ever happened to the pride of competing in amateur sport? These athletes today are all about the dollar bills...

• Like 1

:lol: LMAO!!

:lol:

I'm serious though man. I don't understand what these guys want. Pretty much all the guys on the Olympic team are stars, and almost all the stars in the NBA have max deals, which is like roughly 15-20 million per year. What do they expect the country to pay and why is compensation a concern!?