My Farewell to Antawn Jamison

http://clevfinest.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/img_0907-e1334518717113.jpg?w=819&h=322

Antawn Jamison's final game as a Cavalier is approaching.

Next to Z, he is my favorite Cavalier of all time (been a fan since the Ricky Davis era).

Firstly, I just wanted to say how good of a role model he is. He shows sportsmanship like none other. I see him on and off the court showing class and respect. I've never met him personlly, but he just comes off as a good guy.

It's weird, because when I found out we were getting him in 2010, I thought it was too good to be true.

When we played the Wizards three years straight in the first round of the playoffs, I started seeing just the type of player Antawn was. I always knew he was a solid player with Golden State and Dallas, but when I saw us play the Wizards, I saw how good he really was. When we swept Washington in 4 games, the Wizards were decimated with injuries. However, Jamison was a stud in those games. He put up 30 a few times if I'm correct, and I was just thinking how tough it must be to be in his position where he was relied on to keep them in the game, pretty much by himself. It really reminds me of his role in Cleveland the past two years, at least in terms of being the primary scorer. They had Gilbert and Caron, but those guys had many on and off injuries.

Well, when the Cavs took off, and the Wizards went downhill, and I started thinking how cool it would be if we ever got him.

When we did get him, I thought we were winning the championship. I thought one of my favorite athletes, Antawn Jamison, would be the missing piece to our championship. It obviously wasn't meant to be.

However, I saw the true type of person he was the following year and in this season. He accepted coming off the bench last season, and eventually became starter. He played through injuries despite being on one of the worst teams in the league, and continued to be a great teammate. He's went from playing with Shaq, LeBron, Z, Mo, and Delonte to playing with Kyrie Irving to playing with Lester Hudson and Donald Sloan. And throughout it all, he's been a consummate professional.

I love watching the Cavs because I love seeing him play. He's got those wacky one handed shots inside the paint, great shooting, and he's upped his defense this year.

He's put up all-star caliber numbers despite being underlooked by the rest of the league. He's 26th in the league in scoring, and of the top 50 scorers in the league, he's the oldest player in that group. He has played hard through all of this, and it has only reaffirmed why he is my favorite current basketball player.

I remember so many great moments with him here. I went to his first game in Cleveland against the Hornets and remember a fast break dunk he had, signifying his first big moment here. It made me so excited for the post-season. Unfortunately I haven't been able to go to as many games, and I won't be able to go to his last game in Cleveland (I got college).

So before he leaves, I just wanted to wish him farewell. He was on our team not even three years. However, I'm proud to say that he was a Cleveland Cavalier. He's seen the highest of highs, and the lowest of lows in this franchise, and he's been a rock through all of it.

Thanks Antawn Jamison for being someone I can look up to in a sports world where many players have changed. I'm happy that you were on our team, and wish you nothing but the best of luck, because if anyone deserves a championship, it's you.

Edited by Cleveland's Finest
  • Like 4

I don't normally read really long posts like these ones...but this one, for some reason, was different. I've always like Jamison as a player, back to his Washington days when the Wizards were one of the only teams in the league with three 20+ ppg players. I always felt bad for him because he played on the Cavs after LeBron ditched Cleveland. I always felt that the Cavs should have traded him and put him on a team that could contend. But I imagined they kept him on the Cavs to be a great veteran player, to show the young guys the ropes, the help them learn to be a team, play as a team, because Jamison has always been a team player.