Why is this forum so dead?

• Owner

1) Our veteran members are getting older, and

2) In the 7+ years that we've been up, the up-and-coming sites (that almost always fade out) spam the shit out of our site to gain members (going through our PM system, usually, and sometimes offering staff positions to our non-staff posters), and that takes its toll over time.

We've also had a lot of our ideas stolen, including designs (the code that I wrote myself actually stolen).

In addition, we have guys that come here, expecting an immediate spot on staff (whether it's a mod position, writing crew, etc), and when they don't get it within four weeks of posting, they leave...which is perfectly fine with me.

I'm aware that there are a few sites that have 1,000+ posts per day. That's fantastic. When OTR was doing that, we were also at our worst, in regards to our basketball knowledge and reputation, and that is typically how it goes.

• Owner

Unfortunately it seems that new members are a rarity, and when someone new does come, its even more rare that they stay for long. Its pretty much just the same 10-20 people who always post.

Yeah, or a lot of the new guys have 2-3 different accounts, for some reason.

Unfortunately it seems that new members are a rarity, and when someone new does come, its even more rare that they stay for long. Its pretty much just the same 10-20 people who always post.

This really is the biggest reason, imo.

You are probably the newest active poster on here and I told you about it when? Beginning of January?

As the "core" members get older, find their spare time more limited and post less frequently as a result, you need new members to step in and make up for some of what you are losing from those older members.

I really don't have too much of a problem with it, though. Sure, it would be nice to have more active members, but for the most part I enjoy the discussion on here even it it doesn't come as frequently as other forums.

Twitter and instant chats have also taken away activity from all message boards, even huge ones like RealGM (the Raptor game discussion, which regularly hit 80 pages at least, was cut down by about 75% this past year). I know I've tried to bring people over and contacted multiple people during March Madness about joining, but I almost always got the same response back which was basically them telling me they would rather discuss over Twitter than join a message board.

Those are the two biggest factors from what I've gathered.

Yeah exactly. I have the same conversations with like 10 people. Members r cool here though. I mean this is the only forum i even go on

My interest in posting has faded a bit. Honestly, it's because a couple ppl seem to troll too much and always numerous other things that really aren't worth posting/reading about that outweigh the good stuff. The trolling stuff especially after you get a certain age...you really don't care to read that type of stuff all the time.

I love the community and always will..but just being honest.

1) Our veteran members are getting older, and

2) In the 7+ years that we've been up, the up-and-coming sites (that almost always fade out) spam the shit out of our site to gain members (going through our PM system, usually, and sometimes offering staff positions to our non-staff posters), and that takes its toll over time.

We've also had a lot of our ideas stolen, including designs (the code that I wrote myself actually stolen).

In addition, we have guys that come here, expecting an immediate spot on staff (whether it's a mod position, writing crew, etc), and when they don't get it within four weeks of posting, they leave...which is perfectly fine with me.

:lol:

This really is the biggest reason, imo.

You are probably the newest active poster on here and I told you about it when? Beginning of January?

As the "core" members get older, find their spare time more limited and post less frequently as a result, you need new members to step in and make up for some of what you are losing from those older members.

I really don't have too much of a problem with it, though. Sure, it would be nice to have more active members, but for the most part I enjoy the discussion on here even it it doesn't come as frequently as other forums.

Twitter and instant chats have also taken away activity from all message boards, even huge ones like RealGM (the Raptor game discussion, which regularly hit 80 pages at least, was cut down by about 75% this past year). I know I've tried to bring people over and contacted multiple people during March Madness about joining, but I almost always got the same response back which was basically them telling me they would rather discuss over Twitter than join a message board.

Those are the two biggest factors from what I've gathered.

Yeah I joined I think mid-way through January or so, and as far as I know i'm probably the newest active poster. Honestly I don't see what people like about using twitter to discuss over a forum/message board. Honestly I think if more people signed up and gave the forum a chance, they would stay. Like when I first got your message on youtube about signing up, I almost just didn't bother. It just seemed like another spam message. But I thought I'd give it a chance and I've been here ever since.

Yeah exactly. I have the same conversations with like 10 people. Members r cool here though. I mean this is the only forum i even go on

Same with me for the most part. Other then occasionally visiting a hockey forum i've been a member on for about 2 years, I don't go on any other forums. I have more posts on this one than I do on the hockey forum, so it shows I don't post there much.

To be honest my interest in the NBA has dipped significantly and its a huge reason behind my low activity for the past year. The lack of interest has been due to a variety of reasons:

1) College

2) Football

3) The lockout - just turned me off big time.

4) Chris Paul trade veto

5) The Rockets - I'd rather be the Bobcats right now.

The semester ends this Tuesday and I haven't had my cable for a few weeks now, so I've mostly had to stream the games and the first round has been a snoozefest for the most part. Should have it back next week so I'll see if I can't post around the gameday threads more often. Stuff like the trade deadline, draft and free agency spark my interest. I think I posted more on the trade deadline than I did all year long.

I still love this community though, don't mind the dip in activity as much and I come visit this site nearly every day, its just I tend to lurk more than post these days.

• Like 1