Melo vs LeBron rookie season

htownborn

It's no question who's the best player today it's hands down LeBron but I think they were pretty close their rookie seasons. Actually I felt Melo had a better rookie season and probably deserved ROY more than LeBron. Statistically speaking Melo did everything better than LeBron apart from steals, blocks, and assist and he lead his team to the playoffs in a tougher conference, granted Melo's team may have been slightly better with adding Andre Miller and Marcus Camby but there teams where equally just as bad the year before. So my question is not so much who's better but more of was Melo robbed from being Rookie of the Year or was it rightfully given to LeBron.

• Owner

LeBron wasn't much of a defender back then, so I mean...basically, you'd have to just assume that the award was given to him based on his ability to get his teammates involved, but to be honest, I doubt it was that. I'd just say it was the hype. Melo averaged more points, shot better from the floor (from two, three, and FT), rebounded the ball better, had a better overall record, and made the playoffs, all while playing a full 82 games.

I think more were amazed at LeBron being a freak of nature, rather than Carmelo's ability to shoot and score the ball, and that's what turned heads.

i rlly thought Melo was gon be the bomb.... and with a risk to go waay off-topic i got to admit i love reading your posts guys. i'm having trouble accepting the fact a cool place like that will go to ghost town. come on brandon, don't shut it down man :(

Well, Melo played that one year in College which did a lot for his game and confidence I'm sure considering he went on to carry 'Cuse to the title.

LeBron's always been the better player. It's mostly because of his ability to make everyone around him better. Carmelo doesn't do that.

Carmelo is great at what he does but he's not a great all-around player.

LBJ had a higher PER!

But really, the things Melo did better than LeBron were marginal compared to the things LeBron did better than Melo, where the gap was huge. Specifically, running the entire team as an 18 year old, rather than having a role as almost specifically a scorer (to which Melo was better, LeBron just brought more to the table IMO).